Anyone use canned goo only?

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by David W650, Oct 12, 2017.

1. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

I have just added Barbasol to my rotation in the last few days. I am impressed with the moisturizing and protection of the cream.
    I feel that it could provide more slickness, but I would admit that maybe if I could spend more time in applying it, the end result would improve.

Some have recommended using a brush and water to apply Barbasol. That may be the trick.
    To be sure, I regularly use some form of pre-shave with many of my other shaving soaps and creams.
    Certainly that could enhance the effectiveness of Barbasol as well.

And honestly, most shave gels already require that you rub them into your skin to produce the lather.
    Think of the time you spend just bowl lathering your favorite artisan-style soap.

The major companies have vastly more resources than the boutique soap makers. Their products should be better in every way.
    But, so far, it seems that the big boys are not looking to compete in the upscale boutique market. I sometimes wonder what would happen if they did.

See what has happened in the craft beer market?

2. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

I Use Barbasol at Least One Day A Week

3. David W650

David W650 Active Member

Had a couple of shaves with Barbasol Sensitive and I was quite happy with the results.
    Didn't dry my face, had some slickness and is under $1.50.

What not to like!

Thanks for the suggestion folks.

ilts, Keithmax, Bama Samurai and 2 others like this.
  4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I recall liking the Colgate feel.

ilts and EnglishChannel like this.
  5. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I use Barbasol exclusively on my barbers hone for lubrication when touching up my straights. I haven’t used canned product for shaving in years.

Ijustmissedthe50s and Keithmax like this.
  6. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Glad to hear that it worked for you.

ilts and EnglishChannel like this.
  7. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I do a first pass with an injector, it saves the carts from getting clogged :)...

PLANofMAN and ilts like this.
  8. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I used Barbasol cream(25+ years) exclusively before taking up "traditional" shaving. I've not touched the "goo" since and I don't miss it in any way. I dislike the lack of control and the product waste factor with canned shaving products. Even tubes although much better waste much of the product. Nothing beats a good old soap puck or stick both for quality of the lather and 100% use of the product, absolutely no waste. :happy088:

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  9. David W650

David W650 Active Member

Interesting you brought up the subjects of "lack of control" and "product waste".

I do like Nivea shave gel but the can dispensing button is overly designed and I'm wasting product no matter how lightly I press the button. As for Barbasol the simple push button works great. I don't like or need a huge beard of foam to shave. I could see a can lasting for months.

10. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

Do you mean there isn't extra lather left on the brush at the end? I hear you about wasting from a can, but then I was pondering if a soap is better? When I build an awesome lather (lately Stirling has been the only soap I've used), I make sure I load plenty before I face lather, and then I still have tons left after my two passes. Just sayin'.:angelic007:

Yehuda D, 178-bplatoon and ilts like this.
  11. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

The lather you make for shaving is never a waste.:) I'm talking about the soap that remains in the can and you can never get out. When the lather stops coming out and you have to throw the can away there is still plenty of soap left in it. :happy088:

12. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

True. It's been quite some time I've used canned foam that I forgot all these little annoyances.

Yehuda D likes this.
  13. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

I found that it was my prep, and shaving technique that was wrong early on. Once I got them right I found that I could get a great shave even when I used the canned creams, and gels.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

14. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Canned stuff appeared here in the 1990's, I believe. I am not an expert (started with shaving soap in the 80's and stuck with it), but even the others in our household ditched the canned stuff, and they really are not wetshaving fanatics. They are set on good old boring Palmolive cream ;-)

15. chevyguy

I find that if I add a little more water to my lather my cartridges won't clog.

Clayton

16. chevyguy

I remember buying Barbasol, and Colgate, just because they cost under a dollar and I didn't want to spend more for Gillette Foamy, or Noxema. That was back in the eighties. I remember liking the Colgate Menthol, and Lemon/Lime.

Clayton

EnglishChannel and Paul Turner like this.
  17. chevyguy

The Dollar Store usually stocks the smaller cans of Barbasol Regular, and Aloe.

Clayton

18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Canned foam also makes a handy shampoo. Won't get sudsy but gets hair squeaky clean.

19. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The 60s Ready-Shave cans were the coolest looking.

EnglishChannel likes this.
  20. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I use Edge gel about once a week now to touch up in rushed mornings where I don't make time for a full shave. I just clean up the stubble and upper lip a bit. It's a really unpleasant experience and it's part of the reason that I used to hate shaving until I discovered brush lathering. I like canned foam a little more so once I finish my Edge gel, I'll try Barbasol since so many people here seem to like it.