April 2016 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix&Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Mar 31, 2016.

?

Favorite way to use Arko?

Poll closed Apr 30, 2016.
  1. Shave stick!!

16 vote(s)
    39.0%
  2. Press into bowl

11 vote(s)
    26.8%
  3. Mosquito repellent

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  4. S'mores

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  5. Only to be used with Veg and a Derby blade!

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  6. Arko? Seriously? Again? I am just here for the cookies...

11 vote(s)
    26.8%
  1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Should I use a mild razor for Derby day?

2. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I'm going to use a Tech head on a Maggard handle.

3. Salty Belle

Salty Belle Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for that very kind review! I'm so happy you enjoy the soaps:)

4. RyX

RyX DoH!

SOTD 04302016.gif
    Closing out my Attack Angle April. I've smoothed out much of my razor burn with paying attention to riding the cap & prep by Shave Secret. Using a Tech & Derby blade gives nearly as close a shave as a Schick injector. Arko enhanced with patchouli E.O. seems less drying, but then that could be my use of Cremo Face Moisturizer. Gotta love Kroger's bargain bin. ;) A swipe of alum block gave evidence of no irritation. Even The Veg felt great!
    Props to @Bama Samurai for drawing me in for my second month of Focus. I haven't been posting much here, and none at all in the SOTD thread. Issues with my phone not interfacing to laptop frustrate and annoy me. Balanced by less stress not trying to post every 24 hours - it's been a good month.

5. Bama Samurai

I will go with a Weishi 9306

6. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

SOTD April 30, 2016
    Derby Day Shave!

Cold water ice-cubes 3.jpg

Prep: Warm shower
    Blade: Derby Extra
    Razor: Maggard MR1 handle with 1964 Gillette Tech head
    Brush: Vulfix 2006C badger
    Lather: Arko
    Post: Witch hazel splash, Pinaud Lilac Vegetal, Nivea sensitive balm
    WTG, touch-up

I'll say first that the Derby blade provided some doubts. But, don't judge a book by its cover.....the Derby ended up being a good blade! It felt smooth and fairly sharp. It wasn't the best blade I've ever used but I would use it again down the road. I did end up with a couple of small weepers around my chin. That's a little unusual. I haven't had a nick or weeper for quite a while. I guess I was due for one.

Arko whipped up some massive lather. I needed more water because it dried up on my neck some even though I was using what I thought to be lots and lots of water. Oh well. I have used Arko for five days now and will move on tomorrow. The VEG went on and burned pretty well. It calmed down fairly quickly. That was my last little bit of Veg that I got from the pass-around earlier this month. I am chosen but won't go and seek out a bottle of it anytime soon.

The Derby Day shave was fun! I would use this combination of products again without reservation.

Hope your Saturday is going well!

SOTD 4-30-16.jpg

7. Bama Samurai

Arko April!!!
    Everybody do Derby Day!!

Planned shave 30 April 2015

image.gif image.jpeg

Weishi 9306
    Derby Extra (1)
    Arko!!!
    L'Occitane Plisson Synthetic
    Alum
    Pinaud Lilac Vegetal

Have a wonderful Saturday Evening!
    :)

8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

It's a fantastic scented soap, I do find that it isn't as slick as I would like. So what I'll do is add a couple swirls of Soap Commander unscented into the Fine for that added slickness I feel it's missing. I hope this helps/answers your question. Great scent!!

Douglas Carey, mrchick, PLAla and 4 others like this.
  9. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Razor: Bunny V3
    Blade: Schick Injector (4)
    Brush: "Tres Amigos" Desert Ironwood w/Envy White
    Soap: Route 66 Retro Spice
    A/S: Old Spice Fresh Lime
    Finished my focus last Tuesday after I received he Bunny V3. My focus for April was using my Techs. I used 3 Techs and a few days of a Goodwill 1930's. They all shaved very well, but didn't really have the aggressiveness I prefer with my razors. I did have two good finds tis month in the blade category. First is the South Korean Dorco St-301 Platinum. This is an excellent blade which I will be using for some time. Second was the Derby Extra. @Boojum1 has been using this blade with great results so I climbed on board. This blade is a winner. The Tres Amigo Desert Ironwood w/Envy White knot has been nothing sort of amazing. I can't say enough about this brush. I feels like it was made especially for my hand and it makes soap explode into lather. Okay, I like it. :happy102:
    Then to top everything off I get the Bunny V3 in the mail. Today I started with the Mild comb, but quickly changed back to the Notso comb. For me personally it is a better fit. One thing I will point out is how easy it is to see what you are doing in tight spots and when you are going XTG. The shape of the head make it very easy to see what you are doing with the razor reversed in your hand. To me that far out weighs and reason to put a slight bend in the handle and/or head. It's just a matter of getting the right comb fit. IMO.
    See you all at Shave Den Sunday.
    30 04 16.JPG

mrchick, PLAla, ob1page and 4 others like this.
  10. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

SOTD 4/30/15
    Razor ACME 13/16 Hollow- F. Westpfal NY
    Brush Aluminum Handle 28mm Ubersoft synthetic
    Soap Barrister & Mann Bay Rum
    Post Alum and Witch Hazel
    Aftershave Fine La’Orange Noir
    IMG_3612.JPG
    Last shave of the month, and last Straight shave until after my next trip. Tried using cold water today, since I didn’t have time to soak my brush. Actually didn’t notice too much of a difference. I don’t really enjoy super cold, so I won’t pursue this, but good to know if the water heater goes out. This razor is one that I was on the fence about. It’s a German made one, but marked NY. It’s a big razor, and full hollow. I think I am going to cut this one loose. It’s a great shave, but doesn’t really fit in with what I am trying to collect. The B&M Bay rum soap is my target now. I finished the Seville this month, and want to finish one more of my B&M soaps before my next container gets here in the end of May.

This month was mainly a focus on just trying to do two pass and done. I will call it a success. Going to keep it going in May, and try some razors I haven’t used in honor or Mayhem. The biggest thing I figured out this month is how much time I waste on this website at work. Having a new job and completely full schedule has really prevented me from keeping up with this thread. I am trying to, but as always, family comes first. I will still be lurking on the site over the next few months, but won't be as active.

mrchick, PLAla, ob1page and 4 others like this.
  11. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Good picture! Great stuff!!! you must be busy with your new job. Hope very thing is going well. :happy088:

12. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

It's the one my wife brings out at Easter. she has a bunch of Easter Bunnies. I took a quick picture then snuck it back. :happy088:
    She likes Bunnies and rabbits. Lord knows we have a few around or place from Jacks to Cottontails.

Boojum1, Drygulch, PLAla and 2 others like this.
  13. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

You may want to check his first name @PLAla. I know he thinks he knows a lot, but not everything. :)

Drygulch, PLAla, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  14. Bama Samurai

Yeah, that was a first. I get called a lot of things, by not usually that one...

Drygulch, PLAla, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  15. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

image.jpeg

Straights Focus April 30:

Stirling Synthetic Brush
    Arko
    Schick Adjustable
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    The Veg

Well, I did manage to use Arko and The Veg today, but failed to use a straight. I got a little lazy this past week and used this fine Schick Adjustable every day, not exactly on my focus. I do believe I have crossed the 100 shave mark with straights, and I am definitely improved with them, but lots of room for improvement. The Schick is a nice fall back, though.

On a separate note, I am really impressed with Arko. I wish I had tried it earlier, but I do thank @Bama Samurai for sending it to me. It is a great soap, and I find I enjoy the scent.

I am looking forward to next month, and I hope everyone has a great day.

mrchick, Drygulch, ob1page and 4 others like this.
  16. Bama Samurai

Just a reminder, this thread closes tonight, and the fun starts all over in MAY 2016!!!

Norcalnewb, Drygulch, ob1page and 3 others like this.
  17. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

:thanks: Chris! :)

18. Bama Samurai

Robert,

Did you get to Arko today? I know you have already messed around with it.

And...

Will you be joining us for a focus?

(soap, two pass, technique, lots of options...)

19. Bama Samurai

Glad you like! When I use a synthetic with Arko, it makes much lather that I generally have enough left to degrease an engine block!

20. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

I forgot! :( I could never do a focus Chris, i just can't commit like that. I literally use a different soap and razor almost daily. I love the Arko you sent, i'll be using it again on Mon. I feel so bad Chris...i'm sorry. :(