April 2016 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix&Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Mar 31, 2016.

?

Favorite way to use Arko?

Poll closed Apr 30, 2016.
  1. Shave stick!!

16 vote(s)
    39.0%
  2. Press into bowl

11 vote(s)
    26.8%
  3. Mosquito repellent

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  4. S'mores

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  5. Only to be used with Veg and a Derby blade!

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  6. Arko? Seriously? Again? I am just here for the cookies...

11 vote(s)
    26.8%
  1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

A very concise answer to that proposal. I love the fact that you stay true to yourself and what you like! Routine and rhythm are what I dig.

I know you always have an eye on the trends in soap. If I were to, hypothetically, be in the market for soap, who should I be looking at?

2. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Route 66, Stirling, Soap of The Gods. Soap of The Gods has 2 on sale for like 7 bucks, outstanding! I thought someone would remind me today was Arko day, i feel terrible Chris, i let my friends down. :sad024:

3. Bama Samurai

No worries, no one is offended, promise! So many things on TSD to keep up with! I wanna do actual "Derby Day" when the KY Derby happens soon... Use Bourbon or Rose scented products, and of course... A Derby Extra!

I will Google some soaps you list, I already have some R66. R66 is as good as any soap I've ever used.

4. Robyflexx

Oh i would also like to give a mention for IB Amici a favorite in my den and only 3 bucks Chris, incredible performer. :)

5. Bama Samurai

Added to list of prospective choices!

6. Robyflexx

If you do order anything, keep me posted buddy! :)

7. Bama Samurai

I'm just waiting until I am the last man standing in NB16.

clint64, NCoxSTL, Norcalnewb and 4 others like this.
  8. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Haha!! I just edited! That was pretty funny.

9. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I'm here to help. What can I say?

10. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

Saturday Shower/Shave
    [​IMG]

Derby Day!

Shower- Noxzema facial cleaner, Dr. Bronner's All-One Hemp Peppermint bar soap
    Pso- Homemade grapefruit PSO
    Brush- RazoRock Plissoft
    Razor- Muhle R41 on a Maggard MR5 handle
    Blade- Derby
    Soap- Arko with 10 drops of M-Bomb
    Thayers Witch Hazel with grapefruit EO
    AS Milk- TSD Neroli
    AS- Florida Water

Another shot for the Derby today, mixed reviews. I had red lather, bit me on my upper lip, first time in quite a while however by riding the cap there was no tugging. I did 3 passes for a DFS, just missed the baby. The Arko scent I love, performance, so so. I was really focusing on riding the cap so I don't know if my cut was just a fluke or if Arko doesn't protect as well as Catie's Bubbles. Either way the alum closed it up nicely. I had more irritation tonight than with the GSB but the TSD AS milk cooled it right down. The Neroli also paired up well with the Florida Water. Decent shave to end the month and I'm looking forward to next month. Have a great day folks!
    [​IMG]

11. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Nah, you'll have to wait until '17.

12. Robyflexx

Chris, I forgot to mention. There is a method to my madness. My goal from the start was always to be versatile enough to achieve dolphin smooth shaves with all my razors again and again. I now achieve that consistently with the exception of one razor...my 1912 GEM SE. I get the results but not comfortably. I think I'm going to shim it. :)

13. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Thank you, Doug. Very busy with the new job. Pictures are different because my daughter took the little corner of the counter in the bathroom that I had, so now all my stuff is sitting on her stool for picture and use.

14. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

@ob1page Congrats on the CT!

Seriously, what do I need to mentholate to get my own CT?

15. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

So you would recommend Soap of the Gods, Robert? I have been looking at trying some of these soaps as well (need to get to 2017 quickly :angry019:). The scents sound very interesting.

16. Robyflexx

Absolutely! And 2 of the soaps are 7 bucks. I went with the Jared, outstanding! The smell is very luxurious, the stuff lathered like KMF for me. Very creamy, protective stable lather. :)

17. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Where are you ordering them from?

clint64, Drygulch and Robyflexx like this.
  18. Robyflexx

Jared

clint64, Drygulch and Norcalnewb like this.
  19. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Arko April in Russia

April 30

Razor - 1959 Gillette Super Speed
    Blade - derby-extra.jpg
    Brush - Vie Long 12705
    Soap - Arko
    Post - Alum, The Mighty Veg

Final day of Arko April and I've got Arko back on the sink. And, in keeping with the last day that some of us chose, a Derby in the razor and the Veg in the wings. Now, I use the Veg regularly, so nothing too new there, but an Arko/Derby/Veg day. Brilliance.

Three full passes and the Derby produced a very nice DFS with no worries, and the alum was quiet. With a more aggressive razor this might well have produced a BBS but I had a great shave that left me smooth and comfy. The Veg just added to the final effect and I went out to conquer the world like a Napoleonic hero.

It was a fun month. All of the blades I revisited were magnificent, and I thoroughly enjoyed the shaves. That many days of Arko reminded me of how consistently great the lather is, and also made me miss some different soaps which is normal. So much for April, let the MAYhem begin!

Oh, the boys are back. Just in time to stir things up a bit. I didn't know they had made it until I saw Ivan trying to make it back here while I was driving home. He looks good considering all the travel.

drunk_russians_28.jpg

20. Robyflexx

Great write up Neal! The end is hilarious! :happy097:

clint64, NCoxSTL and Drygulch like this.