April 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Mar 31, 2017.

?

Are you using a theme for April? And - which adjustable if you're going there?

1. Arko baby!!!!

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. Arko and an adjustable - even better!!

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  3. Fatboy

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Slim

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. Black Beauty

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  6. Futur

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  7. Soviet Ideal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Soviet Consul

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  9. Schick Adjustable

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  10. No theme - just me, my razor and some COOKIES!

27 vote(s)
    77.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I believe it is, but I'm giving @RyX the benefit of the doubt. I want to stay in the good graces of anyone that beats a soap like a rented mule. OTOH, he could have simply been overcome by patchouli vapors and decided on an early MAYhem shave. :)

Seriously, though, MRGLO worked well for me as a pre-shave soap. I ran out sometime ago and just never replaced it in my Den.

2. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

On Instagram.

Drygulch and SharptoothC like this.
  3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I have heard a rumor that somepeople let work trump posting. Did not reallybelieve it though.

Drygulch, SharptoothC, RyX and 3 others like this.
  4. wristwatchb

He PM'd the other day...I think he's just been extra busy at work. :)

Drygulch, SharptoothC, RyX and 2 others like this.
  5. wristwatchb

Praying for you, brother.

6. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Thank you!

7. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

That was an upgrade that I couldn't afford

8. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

April 27 - Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti

Merkur 34C
    Persona Red(day 1)
    Dark Chocolate (JR148)
    DIY PSO
    Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti
    Alum/Thayers/Nivea

Had it not been for the pass around box, I never would have known about this soap. I am happy I got the chance to try it out.

The Pass around version was a tanish color. I enjoyed it so much that I ordered a full puck from Italian Barber. The version I received (ver. 4.0) I believe is the latest version of this soap. It was a dark grey color. As for performance, it still delivered. It felt very firm. It could be a milled or triple milled soap. If it is not, it is one of the firmest soaps that is not milled I have tried. SV stated this
    The new “Black” Dolomiti Shaving Soap is now available. We have received a particular dark silt that has some pronounced mechanical properties and a higher load of mineral sediments. we can surely define this as a “special edition”… Also we’ve decided, from now on, to give Dolomiti a stronger scent (using the same fragrance though).
    The scent was more on the mild side. I might not have noticed all the scents expressed because I started a new sandalwood bath soap that kind a took over the bathroom muting everything else. I did notice the sage scent predominantly. They state this about the scent:
    The fragrance Dolomiti rise by a top note of light citrus lemon, with a hint of sage. The core is floral and definitely lavender, with a hint of cloves and black pepper. The tail amber and woody vetiver, patchouli and cedar wood characterizes the personality of the perfume
    I grabbed a slightly less than a demitasse spoon amount (.7 gr maybe) and it created a beautiful lather very easily. The lather did turn white. Today's lather was a little less dense than the B&M I made but super slick. I think the Dolomite clay could be responsible or just the type of soap they make is extremely slick. I also find that it has a wide usable water range. When my 3.5 passes were completed, I continued to add water to what lather remained and it just kept accepting it and it remained. No breakdown was seen. I was able to get 5 full passes from such a small quantity of soap.

BBS resulted and this is a very enjoyable shave. Very happy I grabbed a full refill puck (150gr). With so little used, I am certain I can get over 150, 3+ pass shaves from this refill puck. It mild herbal scent is also a welcome addition to a den largely composed of citrus or cologne replicating scents. Will look forward to each time it comes up in rotation.

The Red Personna worked pretty good and felt smooth. I had some alum sting but it dissipated quickly. I found both Red and Blue were very good WTG but I felt more irritation XTG and ATG. For a local available blade they might be the best I can get and certainly better than the Wilkinsons for me. Not sure they will make the best blade list.

Drygulch, Shave Fu, clint64 and 8 others like this.
  9. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Tonight more daddy daughter shave time. I got in a bunch 'o used Shave stuff from a guy clearing out his den and decided to whip up a few lathers to "smell them out". My youngest daughter asked if she could whip up the lathers for me, so of course I couldn't say no. First of all, the four Razorock soaps we whipped up didn't have strong enough smell for me. The B&M Latha - Oceana, on the other hand, went immediately in the starting lineup. Love the briny, beachy smell. Anyway, once we started having fun whipping up lather, my youngest decided to follow in the footsteps of my oldest. Being the dad of two girls is absolutely the best thing ever! IMG_1436.JPG

Drygulch, Shave Fu, clint64 and 9 others like this.
  10. wristwatchb

Frank, it's cool watching you have so much fun with different soaps. I read in another thread where you might be concerned about having too much soap. I have 12 soaps and creams. Of those, two containers are MdC. I've easily got a three-year supply of soaps and creams, considering the MdC lasts quite a long time. Aside from the two or three products I use in a given month, I keep the others in my basement fridge. That's probably not necessary, but I've got the room for them there. I've even used up some of my least favorite soaps by using them as facial soaps in my pre-shave routine. Carry on!

11. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

That is too cute! My daughter was just lathering up the other day and grabbed my 40's gold tech without the blade and was shaving off the lather. They can be so cute

12. wristwatchb

That is so sweet, Randy! I've been trying to convince Andrew to do a lather photo with his son. Maybe this will help encourage him. :D

13. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

April 27 (Thursday ) - Italian almond croaps mini-focus

Rockwell 6s on plate #3 / Topaz Platinum ( 2 )
    Alluminati Envy White brush
    Cella soap
    Alum and Clubman VIBR

I continued on with the soft almond-scented Italian soaps tonight by breaking out the classic of them all, Cella. There's a reason it's been around since 1899 -- it's a great soap. Pleasant scent, easy to load, easy to lather, excellent performance, decent postshave feeling. Compared to yesterday's 3P, the Cella is a little bit softer, has a slightly stronger marzipan scent both in the tub and as lather, and whips up into a creamy lather just a bit quicker. The margin is slight though: doing a blind test starting with a sample of each smeared in a lather bowl, I think I could tell the difference but wouldn't bet money on it, at least not based on this single use of each.

The shave was excellent. The second-shave Topaz Platinum firmly controlled by the Rockwell 6s was smooth and comfortable. Two passes and a bit of touchup on the throat yielded a near BBS with Mr. Alum keeping his yap shut. The VIBR then gave a perky tropical finish to the proceedings.

14. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

It's my pleasure, Charlie!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

15. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'm getting better with the rented mule factor.

16. BaylorGator

Nice avatar Paul!

17. Paul Turner

Thank you :). Looks like you changed yours too ??

Drygulch, clint64 and SharptoothC like this.
  18. BaylorGator

Nope. Still the ice cream guy. Not likely to change anytime soon.

19. Paul Turner

oh ok....I guess I was too fixiated on changing MINE to notice other changes. And, like you, I'm stickin with the mountain scenery.

20. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

So last night I only about 30 minutes... Less actually since I still had to dress. So I could have passed on shaving, but decided to try something. MAYhem be damned, I decided to see if I could get by with just witch hazel.

It was half a job, some nicks, but overall not bad. I didn't get everywhere, kinda stopped after the nicks and I didn't want my face to be all scarred for my date.

No shave tonight, heading to Nashville tomorrow for the weekend.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk