April 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Mar 31, 2017.

?

Are you using a theme for April? And - which adjustable if you're going there?

1. Arko baby!!!!

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. Arko and an adjustable - even better!!

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  3. Fatboy

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Slim

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. Black Beauty

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  6. Futur

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  7. Soviet Ideal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Soviet Consul

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  9. Schick Adjustable

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  10. No theme - just me, my razor and some COOKIES!

27 vote(s)
    77.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

April 30, 2017
    Wolfman Ti WR1 (.74) OC with Hempel Ti
    Feather (3)
    Shavemac ATG LE D01 2 Band
    Mystic Water Raspberry & Lemon
    Folsom & Co. Capri

[​IMG]

I am throwing in the towel on using 1 razor for a week at a time. I have several razors that I like to use but not for a week at a time. So for today, I decided to make it 3 and out with the Feather in the Wolfman I have been using all week. I will continue the brush and soap a week theme going. The brush for the week is the Shavemac ATG forum LE D01 2 Band Flat Top. It is up for a repeat performance so no long introduction. The soap for the week will be Mystic Water Raspberry Lemon in her new formulation. This scent was originally developed at the request of of DFS Forum member. The scent is as he describes 50% raspberry, 35% lemon, 10% vetiver, and 5% leather. All I pick up off the puck is raspberry. However, as I start to face lather the lemon comes forward. I can't say that I pick up the vetiver or leather but it could be that the make the lemon scent deeper and more earthy. Either way, I love citrus scents and I can tell I will enjoy this soap.

Some people found Mystic Water to be a finicky soap to lather and this seemed to be especially true for those with hard water. It did take me a little time to figure Mystic Water out but the performance and post shave feel were worth the effort. Mystic Water introduced a new formula in an effort to make lathering easier. I can say that I found it much easier to load and lather than the old formula. The big Shavemac loaded up the soap quickly and the dark lemon scent exploded as I face lathered. The wonderful slickness is still present in the new formula. With a rich slick lather the rest of the shave this morning was another automatic smooth and close 2 pass near BBS shave. A splash of F&C Capri and I am ready for the day. After a couple of cups of coffee, I am going to take a short motorcycle ride through the N GA mountains. I hope everyone has a great Sunday.

2. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

April 30 day Recap

[​IMG]

For the month of April I continued the Razor, Brush and Soap a week theme. During the month I used three razors, the Wolfman SS OC, Wolfman Ti OC with increased blade gap and the brass General. With any skill you reach a plateau that seems to last for a long time. I had reached such a plateau with shaving by consistently getting smooth, close drama free shaves. However, this month I made a for me huge step up in the smoothness of the shave. I will contribute this improvement to minimizing the amount of touch ups. I achieved this by paying particular attention to these areas during the shave and using skin stretching. I will continue to focus on these skills until they become second nature.

I did manage to finish two soaps, Reef Point Dragon's Blood and Route 66 Lumberjack, this month. I started using both soaps early last year. I really liked the performance of the Dragon's Blood but I prefer other Reef Point scents. However, the Lumberjack was a hit and made my buy again list. I will continue in my efforts to thin out my soap inventory.

I enjoyed following the progress of the other 30 day crew this month. I particularly enjoyed the progress our newer members are making. I look forward to reading all your post during May.

3. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Very informative post. Have a great ride Clint.

SharptoothC, wristwatchb, RyX and 5 others like this.
  4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thanks Doug. It will be a short ride since the back is still not strong enough for much more. :transport016:

SharptoothC, wristwatchb, RyX and 4 others like this.
  5. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Then enjoy every moment.

6. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

April 29 - Mama Bear Awakenings

Merkur 34c
    Personna Red(day 3)
    Dark Chocolate (JR 148)
    DIY PSO
    Mama Bear Awakenings
    Alum/Thayers/Nivea

Yesterday I was in a terrible rush and barely had time to shave, much less post. I will also admit that I barely had any chance to truly enjoy the soap I chose. For what normally takes a good hour, my entire shower and shave was complete in under a half.

I chose Mama Bear Awakenings. It was a hot day and I felt the menthol would be good. The lather whipped up great with a creaminess but light feel. I barely had a chance to notice the scent. 3 passes went by in like 5 minutes, maybe less. At the tail end I noticed a very pleasing peppermint scent and a mild menthol(compare to B&M Arctique). I only noticed the scent at the end because I barely had time to smell it. As soon as it went on, it was removed. If you ever dreamed of Arctique with less menthol, this would be a good choice. I finally got an excellent lather from Mama Bear. It did not leave a slick feeling after the blade passed but just felt clean. From a small sample I obtained enough lather for 4.5 passes. More than enough for any day's shave.

Shaving quickly and with a 3 day old blade, one expects some irritation. Alum was bright with a light sting but dulled quickly. Resulted in a DFS.

Unfortunately I have come to love lots of menthol and Arctique fills my peppermint desires perfectly. B&M is a hard act to follow. It also has a much stronger colder scent and for me, that is desirable. Others might prefer a more normal amount of peppermint and menthol will enjoy MB Awakenings so keep it in mind.

7. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

IMG_1447.JPG My last shave report before MAYhem Will be a twofer since I missed yesterday. Only one picture posted, since I'm less motivated now that shavette Fu's photography lessons will not be forthcoming any longer.
    Yesterday was a shave with the PAA Bakelite slant loaded with an Astra SP, using Stirling's barbershop soap lathered up by a whipped dog mountain badger brush. The two vials in front are aftershave splash beta samples provided by captains choice for evaluation. Virtually everything about this shave was new to me except for the Astra which basically makes this an anarchy shave in this thread, but sometimes you just Gotta go for it, right? Let's be clear that I've got nothing on @Drygulch , but I'm inspired nonetheless.

Anyway, the slant performed about the same as the last slant did for the last several days, confirming that it just doesn't provide as smooth and comfortable a shave as my daily drivers. Other than that, I did enjoy all the products involved, and found the whipped dog to be the most comfortable knot I have ever used to date.

This morning's shave was a reversion back to using my slim, while using the feather from two days ago in it for it's second Shave. Whipped dog, Captains choice samples, and kiss my face Keylime rounded out the lineup. Really glad to be back with my slim. Also really enjoyed the shave with the feather. I didn't expect to like feathers, but I am definitely a fan! Also a huge fan of the whipped dog brush and really enjoyed the KMF Key lime and the CC AS as well. Good scent and performance. Now on to MAYhem. I peeked ahead at the thread and already feel behind. My future posts will probably go there.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  8. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Good shot!!

9. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Clint,
    Part of what brings me back to post my 'novels' is in small part to express my enjoyment that all of you have instilled in me in this hobby and , in larger part to enjoy all of your writings and photographs. I have found the second to truly be one of the best parts of this hobby.

Thanks for all the wonderful photos and allowing us a glimpse of your area. Definitely makes the world smaller.

Enjoy your ride!

10. BaylorGator

Thanks. Unfortunately it was the wrong shot. I just replaced it with one that was more accurate to the shave.

11. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Beautiful picture, Clint! I find Mystic Waters soap to be a great performer as well. Enjoy the ride!

SharptoothC, wristwatchb, RyX and 2 others like this.
  12. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Sunday, April 30, 2017

Colonial Razors The General
    Feather Pro
    El Druida Barberpole
    Mike's Natural Soap Barbershop
    Barrister and Mann Reserve Blue
    Brooks Brothers 1818

[​IMG]

13. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

IMG_0159.JPG

April 30 SOTD:

Stirling Synthetic Brush
    Mystic Waters Coconut Lime Verbena
    Gillette Fatboy
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Clubman Special Reserve

My first shave after getting back from a week long vacation with the family. My wife and I pulled off a 2550 mile road trip with 4 kids. Everyone managed to survive intact and we even had lots of fun. I only shaved twice on the trip, the last time being Wednesday, so I had a little stubble to work with today. The Mystic Waters soap was terrific and probably great prep for this shave. This was the third shave on this Ladas blade, and it pulled it off smoothly. These blades provide some great shaves, especially when paired with the Fatboy.

I am not even going to attempt to catch up on the thread, as way too much went on. I hope everyone is doing well and has a great day.

14. BaylorGator

No way to catch up after last week, but you've got to read yesterday's posts, as you really don't want to miss the epic pregame show that @Drygulch put on for MAYhem!

15. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

Razor: Portland Razor Co Chimera / Supply Provision Custom 3 dot head
    Blade: Chick
    Strop: Drygulch 45
    Brush Handle: B-400 The Brush by Tom
    Knot: APShaveCo Tuxedo
    Soap: Saponificio Varesino Arctic Tundra
    Post Care: Thayers Witch Hazel
    Alum
    Osage Rub
    Fragrance: JPD Oud Noir

Wonderful shave this morning to start off Sunday. I can't say enough good things about this soap, it lathers easily, offers excellent protection and glide. I've been searching for a while for a scent to match up with this soap and I think I found it. This Oud Noir has a wonderful woody scent with a slight citrus note, it matches the Arctic Tundra well. One pass with the Supply, two with the Chimera and I'm left with a DFS. Have a great day folks![​IMG]

16. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you for the kind words Frank. I enjoy taking the photos and reading all the posts each month.

17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Jim. I truly enjoy Mystic Water Soaps. Her scents are just so clean and crisp. Plus the soap just flat works.

18. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Fantastic pic, Doug.

19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I am so happy right now. As many of you know I have been fighting a lingering back issue for over a year and a half. This has sidelined me from one of my great passions, motorcycles. Well the physical therapy has really started to pay off. I managed to get in a short ride this morning. I'm fortunate that I live only 40 miles south of the North Georgia mountains. So I had a blast over the last several hours.

Ready to leave

[​IMG]

Stats for the ride. About half the distance I used to do on a day ride but pretty good.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Glad to hear the therapy is working. Real nice bike!