April 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Mar 31, 2017.

?

Are you using a theme for April? And - which adjustable if you're going there?

1. Arko baby!!!!

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. Arko and an adjustable - even better!!

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  3. Fatboy

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Slim

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. Black Beauty

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  6. Futur

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  7. Soviet Ideal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Soviet Consul

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  9. Schick Adjustable

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  10. No theme - just me, my razor and some COOKIES!

27 vote(s)
    77.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Awesome April
    1 April 2017

Day Two - The Arko Challenge

IMG_1295.JPG
    One Voskhod edge to a DFS, 29 great shaves remaining in April. Headed out to Downtown Denver for a lecture by Alton Brown, one of my fave tv personalities for all time. Other than that...all is quiet in Colorado.

Have a great evening!
    :)

2. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

That is too cool! I love Alton and his Good Eats show.

mrchick, Drygulch, RyX and 3 others like this.
  3. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Great picture, Doug. I love the pics with the turkeys.

4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I've watched him since the beginning. Best cooking show ever.

mrchick, Drygulch, RyX and 2 others like this.
  5. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Airborne...All the Way!!

6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Thank you. I am very happy with the razor. The site says it is more aggressive than the other DOCs, which prompted me to select it. It is aggressive but so far it has not bitten me. The workmanship is excellent and it holds the blade very tightly, so no blade chatter or flex. It is not as aggressive as an Ikon tech or 2011 R41, I feel it is similar in aggressiveness to my Joris (same as a Fatip).

7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Decided to go big today, Kent BK12, and go hot, so I broke out the tea kettle and my big scuttle. Joining the party was my PRC kami and QCS cream.

With all the traveling it has been some time since I had an epic shave so today I went for it. In the end I just had to settle for excellent but enjoyed the hot lather.

This months focus is comparing my finishing stones (Shapton glass 16 vs. Zulu Grey), today's razor is several shaves in on a Shapton glass finish. This razor always takes a great edge, today it was very smooth and sharp.

Irritation A+ Closeness A Smoothness A+ Sharpness A
    ID - 1.jpg

8. RyX

RyX DoH!

Enjoy! He was an Atlanta resident when I lived there, but never got to meet him.

9. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Nice run with the Old. Mastering that razor has been a highlight for me. Just so super cool how aggressive it is and just how old it is and still works like brand new. Awesome stuff. Soccer with 5yo's....some of the most fun on the planet. I used to coach soccer, normally 4th-5th graders and I loved to stop and watch a game with the little ones in it. It's more like watching rugby...always a scrum around the ball until that mass of kids wanders into a goal. And they have so doggone much fun doing it!

10. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Love that picture. Talk about a historical looking picture. Right props and everything - including the razor! Yeah, those are loud razors but that's a good thing. If you can hear it and not feel it you're on the right angle. It will want to rough you up if you let it. One thing that makes me kind of grin is thinking of how we react to it as being so aggressive and demanding full attention when it was designed to be the safer alternative to straights by Gillette. The guys who first used it probably thought it was nigh on useless because it was so mild. LOL

wristwatchb, Drygulch, RyX and 4 others like this.
  11. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

The rugby analogy is spot on. I have coached in the past, but I am taking this season to just watch and enjoy. I have been coaching football, basketball and soccer and being a band parent for years now, and had to take one season off just to be able to enjoy watching my youngest daughter play. No score was kept, many butterflies and squirrels were chased, and the ball even got kicked a few times.

The Old Style has me intrigued. Mine is beat up and ugly as sin, but therein lies its charm. I can't stand to get beaten. My month of shave zen seems to be turning into a month of shave challenges, and so far I'm enjoying the heck out of it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Drygulch, RyX, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  12. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Thanks, Neal. This was a fun shave. Not relaxing, not tranquill, just fun.

Drygulch, RyX, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  13. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Band parent?? Awesome! I'm a high school band director. We can't have the success we do without hard-working parents to help carry the load.

Drygulch, RyX, clint64 and 4 others like this.
  14. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Arko Adjustable April!!!!!

April 1

Well, here's something new that I decided to share. I actually made an executive decision to change things up and try out a razor that has come highly recommended to me by a couple of friends.

Tough Blade.jpg

This is a product from MicroTouch, of MicroTouch One fame and it's endorsed by Brett Favre. Comes with 12 cartridges (triple blade) and that should be enough for an entire year of shaving. For only $19.99 this may be my answer to the high cost of cart shaving and even save me on my other gear. I paired it with a fresh can of Edge Gel and I have to say - I think this is the best shave I've had in about two years. Definitely outperformed any and all of my DE's and made Voskhod look dull. I'm thinking I may be thinning the herd and moving more to this razor as my ultimate go-to.

haha.jpg APRIL FOOLS!!!!

Yeah, I know you probably saw that coming but hey, it only comes around once a year. Ok, now that we're done with that, here's the real deal.

Razor - Soviet Consul
    Blade - voskhod-teflon-coated.jpg (1)
    Soap - Arko
    Brush - Wolf Whiskers Custom Silvertip
    Post - Witch Hazel

Kicking off the month with the Soviet Consul adjustable, set on 3. This razor is more aggressive than the Gillette adjustables. Not sure how it would compare to the Futur as I've never tried that razor. I paired it with the finest Russian blade, the Voskhod, and whipped up a fantastic face lather with the Arko.

Two passes to near perfection. So close to BBS I can hear the baby, just not sure I should claim him. But it's close. No blood or other problems. At 3 this razor is very smooth and effective and I have no complaints at all. I'll keep it for tomorrow and raise the gap to 6.

Hope you're off to a great weekend and a great start to the month!!

Soviet adjustable.jpg

15. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Welcome to the cool kids club. :)

Drygulch, RyX, clint64 and 1 other person like this.
  16. PickledNorthern

Band directors. Making parents destitute one new mouthpiece at a time. :D

Drygulch, PLAla, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  17. PickledNorthern

Actually, you kind of had me going there for a minute. If you would have left out the Edge Gel part I would still be trying to get the hook out of my mouth.

18. PickledNorthern

So is the Parker stealing favorite razor status away from the Magic?

19. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I have chaperoned my fair share of trips and sold more band fruit than I ever cared to! It's a difficult job you have. Much respect!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Drygulch, RyX, PLAla and 3 others like this.
  20. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I figured the Edge Gel remark would be the first clue, and the derogatory remark about Voskhod was the second. LOL