April 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Apr 1, 2018.

?

Your plan for Arko Adustable April?

1. Use Arko - DUH!!

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  2. Use an adjustable razor - DUH!!

12 vote(s)
    32.4%
  3. Eat cookies. Lots and lots of cookies.

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  4. Use a straight razor - maybe with Arko?

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  5. I'll shave whatever way I want, thank you very much Mr. Nosey!

25 vote(s)
    67.6%
  6. Mail some new survey ideas to Cartel HQ - those guys are dragging us down!

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

That's pretty awesome in that amount of time. I lost 30 lbs over about 6-8 months. I have been able to keep it off for a year and a half. It helps to get motivated when the back surgeon tells you not to come back to see him if you are not going to take better care of yourself.

2. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I didn’t think about that at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Good you're keeping it off. It's easy to fall into the convenience of drive thru's and take out.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

4. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Nice! What gap did you get?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

PLAla, 9nein9, Norcalnewb and 5 others like this.
  5. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks Andrew! I went with the .95 scalloped.

PLAla, FaceScraper, 9nein9 and 5 others like this.
  6. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Thanks Jared.

PLAla, FaceScraper, 9nein9 and 5 others like this.
  7. RyX

RyX DoH!

Got your lather figured out, know which blades you like, and post shave products lined up. You're ready for a Focus. Get Shiny!

FaceScraper, PLAla, 9nein9 and 7 others like this.
  8. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks Rick! I'm ready!
    I don't have much experience with blades, that will be a whole different focus. I think July will be my blade focus month.

FaceScraper, PLAla, 9nein9 and 7 others like this.
  9. RyX

RyX DoH!

APRIL Adjustable Stirling Focus

Proraso Green Preshave
    Stirling Gentleman sample
    B-400 Ω Pro 98 boar brush
    Suribachi bowl & cool water
    E-4 Gillette on 9, Astra SP
    Alum, Barbasol Brisk AS
    SOTD 04232018 last on Astra SP.gif For Science! A Half & Half shave. Both sides splashed with cool water. Left side of my face in Proraso Preshave soap and I didn't skimp. Let the menthol go to work and made my lather. I considered the possibility of cross contaminating my fields of study so the right got Stirling lather only on the first pass. I suspect when applying Stirling to the left side the brush may have picked up some Proraso preshave. I keep the Fat Boy on number nine, checked & confirmed. Made sure that last 1/4 turn on the TTO was locked down, yup. WTG pass almost had me reaching for a fresh blade as it was verging on tuggy. Relathered twice more fully muddling the left yes/right no preshave experiment. Got me wondering what happens if I add the PS soap to my lather. Rinsed, swiped the alum, and rinsed again. A little tingle indicating poor form for the 4th used of that blade. Splash of AS brought me back into balance. So Jury's still out for me muddling my test of glycerin PS soap. Need to do dual brushes next time.
    Good Shaves Y'all!

MR41, brit, FaceScraper and 12 others like this.
  10. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Thanks, Jason. I was just trying to juice up "Same old same old"...

I remember when Chris @SharptoothC snagged all those Joris-Plisson razors too. A whole set of mint condition $150+ razors for $10 apiece. It's kind of like when the guy playing the slot machine next to you hits a jackpot -- you congratulate him of course but you sort of wish it was you and hope that your own Little Luck God will take the hint...

And yes, those horrible Karve razors Jim @Norcalnewb and @GawainandtheGreenKnight are waving around are all-brass, made in Canada, only $100, offer good shaves, and have engraved jewelry-quality knurling (guilloche technique) to boot ... but no, neither of us is interested...

I have been on the verge of blowing my NB'18 several times today, though. The culprit? A prototype of a modern B-400 brush in aluminum with threaded ferrules...

11. Screwtape

You're right -- dual brushes would completely remove any possibility of cross-contamination.. I overlooked that ...

12. Screwtape

Worse -- it's Yuppie Fake Italian for that.

13. RyX

RyX DoH!

Vlasta only had one of five called for so far. It does come with three ferrules. If you break your NB, you'll also have to go knot shopping. Don't do it, man!

14. Screwtape

I like that! Enabling and encouraging to resist temptation all at the same time! Of course, I already have one spare knot sitting in my cupboard, waiting for a handle to come along, crying all alone in the dark by itself...

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  15. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Arko Adjustable April!!

April 23

Razor - Soviet Consul (9)
    Blade - [​IMG] (2)
    Soap - Arko
    Brush - Wolf Whiskers Custom Silvertip
    Post - Alum

Shave number two on the Voskhod/Consul combo. Razor still wide open in setting "me" on steroids. Used the Stirling Pro-Style brush thinking that big brush might help wipe out the Arko a bit faster in the mug. I have 11 1/2 sticks to go in my stash and at the rate I'm going that's good for at least 4 years if not more. Time to pick up the pace a bit. Tonight's was just as smooth as last night with one difference. After two passes I checked for touch ups - and didn't need any. Two pass BBS and I was done for the night. No blood, quiet alum....I think this is the first Soviet/Russian razor I can say I've either found able to work, or finally tamed, whichever it is. Время вечеринки!

Here's hoping you had a great start to the week. I had a very busy day, especially for a Monday, so I'm pretty happy about that. Add this shave and hey - it's a great day!

April 23 2018.JPG

MR41, brit, Linuxguile and 12 others like this.
  16. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I'm still trying to identify a true enabler around here, well other than the Fuzzy one of course. I mean, I would never consider trying to tempt anyone to buy anything. Pure as the driven snow here. Free of guilt. Nothing to see, move along. Seriously.......I'm innocent.

17. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

Menthol Monday Snake Bite soap and Proraso green with JR 191 and the Schick adjustable[​IMG]

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

18. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Stay strong, friend! We’ve got some Northern Pride riding on this (and a few trinkets, too)!

19. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Back in focus

Back to the AoS tallow and welcoming a new warrior to the den, a Koraat 14 2.0. The edge was nice and sharp plus smooth so I want to initiate this razor with an epic shave. I think I was too aggressive and the there was a tingle from the alum. Very happy with the razor.

Irritation A Closeness A Smoothness A++ Sharpness A+

Razor: Koraat 14 2.0
    Strop:
    Brush: Shavemac 2 band
    Pre: Proraso
    Soap: AoS tallow
    AS: Speick AS, Edwin Jagger ASB
    Scent: Dior Cuir Cannage

IMG_4780.jpg

20. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Science! And a great ‘Rick Pic’ to boot.
    Well you are an enabler, Neal, but flashing the Arko is a brief respite from that...
    Awesome new shaver, Keith! And a cool photo in front of the window as well with a very unique looking Shavemac.

RyX, FaceScraper, PLAla and 9 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.