Aqua Velva

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Steve C, Aug 2, 2017.

1. HKShaving

HKShaving Member

I haven't tried Florida Water before, but maybe some day! For now I'll just stick to using Aqua Velva out of the bottle. ;)

Paul Turner and Eeyore like this.
  2. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

My issue is that I don't like it :p

Maybe the Florida Water mix improves it.

HKShaving likes this.
  3. HKShaving

HKShaving Member

As long as you like the way it turns out! Using Aqua Velva from the bottle takes me back to college. I used that stuff for years!

EDIT: Just found out we have our own Florida Water right here :o

In Hong Kong[edit]
    Florida Water (花露水) has also been manufactured in Hong Kong since the turn of the 20th century, the most famous of which is the hundred-year-old Kwong Sang Hong "Two Girls" Brand of Hong Kong. Once a common household item throughout Hong Kong, particularly as a refreshing topical application on skins during summer months, "Two Girls" Florida Water remains moderately popular as a 'retro' toiletry product in Hong Kong and southeast Asia, complete with elaborate, nostalgic packaging designs.[5]

After the Communists took over mainland China in 1949, private cosmetic companies were all nationalized, brand names such as "Liu Shen" (六神), "Maxam" (美加净) and "Butterfly" (蝴蝶) were then created and made popular. However, the formulations in these products can be quite different from Murray & Lanman and Two Girls.

Our local version:

http://www.twogirls.hk/en/product_detail-70

Just bought a bottle to try out!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  4. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

College (as in school) is a Commonwealth concept, and we never were part of the Commonwealth ... that must be it :p

HKShaving likes this.
  5. Masonjarjar

Masonjarjar Active Member

I have a bottle of Liu Shen and had a bottle of Butterfly several years ago. Neither smell to me like M&L Florida Water. Butterfly was VERY powdery (almost feminine, ended up dumping it and repurposing the glass bottle), the Liu Shen has a kind of incense vibe to it. Nice as a curiosity item, I find I rarely wear it.

HKShaving likes this.
  6. HKShaving

HKShaving Member

Sounds like the Two Girls is closer to M&L, but I have no way of comparing the two! :(

7. HKShaving

HKShaving Member

Got the two girls--definitely not floral or incense-like. Lavender and bergamot/clove seem to be the dominant notes but they aren't overpowering by any means. Smells quite herbal. I like it! I like the price too! :) Free local shipping. Now that I have a bottle and know what it looks like, I noticed the full assortment of Chinese florida water at a drug store downtown, including the Butterfly stuff. I'll try mixing some up with Aqua Velva at some point.

8. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

Closing the loop on this one. I picked up some Williams AV a few weeks back to compare it to the AV we have in the US.

Out of the box, the Williams bottle type wins hands-down. Glass design with a classic Aqua Velva style cap. I detest that so many manufacturers have defected to a cheap plastic bottle. Not going to debate the merits of glass vs. plastic. I like glass, thus Williams AV comes out on top here.

There's a distinct difference in scent, too. Williams AV is much smoother to the nose right out of the bottle, it doesn't hit as hard as the US version. Dry-down produces a less sweet scent, very subtle and understated, but it's definitely there. The US version wins for cooling and menthol, though. You get a satisfying burst from the US version that isn't very prevalent in the Williams version.

Overall, I prefer the Williams AV as it's a bit softer than the US version. For an everyday aftershave that's easy on the nose, Williams fits perfectly for me.