Aquarist? Fish keepers?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by pvtbanks, Nov 27, 2015.

1. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Anyone else on here have fish? I have 3 male Betta fish. If you have them, Id love to see them!

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I don't have any fish, but, ironically, I'm watching TANKED on Animal Planet.

Slipperyjoe and Joef like this.
  3. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

I will one day own a tank like that.. Haha, those guys are crazy. I guess fish are another little hobby of mine. I'm aloud to have up to a 30 gallon aquarium in the barracks, we just don't have much room. So I settled for the Betta Waterfall which is three seperate tanks. It's pretty neat.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

They certainly are beautiful fish.

pvtbanks likes this.
  5. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

iOS - 1 (7).jpg

Joef likes this.
  6. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  7. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I have a 37 gal tank with wild caught minnows a yellow female guppy and some goldfish. I have it live planted and its also home to 3 species of snail and a wild caught crayfish. I'll get pictures after supper.

8. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

That sounds like my kind of aquarium! If I wild caught fish and put them in a tank in Washington I'd probably be fined 100,000$. I just added a 1" Marimo moss ball to each of the Betta tanks a few weeks ago. That's the only live plants I have.

9. Joef

Joef Well-Known Member

I have a 55 gallon tall. Not many fish left in it....I'm slowly giving them away and going to transition it back into a salt tank with live rock. Once salt is established, it's so much easier to maintain. I love beta fish though. That's one of the few left in the tank....I can't seem to give it up just yet. Plus my new addiction to wet shaving is limiting the cash to convert it

10. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

I would love a salt water. I almost started a 30 gallon tropical, but figured I just wouldn't have the time it needed. I hope to see pictures of the salt aquarium once it's established!

11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  12. Joef

Joef Well-Known Member

It takes a while. For a few months you have to buy damsel fish to just die to establish the biological filter. After that another month of Cloudy water. But after that the tank pretty much takes care of itself. I'll definitely post pics if I get it going.

pvtbanks likes this.
  13. DDuckyMark

Bigger is better with salt. I don't like to do a salt water tank with less then 50 gal. When I move my tank is getting set up as a salt water tank with a 20 gal sump to bring my water volume up. My wild caught stuff will go back where I netted it and the guppy and goldfish will get moved to a smaller tank. 10 or 20 gal. I have 3 or 4 empties in the closet.

Joef and pvtbanks like this.
  14. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

I will be really interested to see the process. I plan on starting one eventually, and that would help me understand it all

15. Joef

Joef Well-Known Member

I agree, when I was a younger lad with no bills, I had a custom 120 gallon bow front tank. It was super easy to get going. The 50 took more than twice the effort.

mrchick and pvtbanks like this.
  16. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

I agree. I have 4 small tanks total, but I only use the three that are built together with a sump underneath them. If I ever go salt, I will definitely go big.

17. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

When I was working hourly and not for the military, I had a wide 55 Gal, with a large two external filter system. It was super nice. But no way I could afford that now.

mrchick and Joef like this.
  18. DDuckyMark

As a teen I had a 20 gal tall set up as a saltwater tank with live rock and corals. I had a few fish but plenty of fan worms shrimp and other things that creep, wave or flutter. I had to spend time with it everyday or it would threaten to die. We lost power from a hurricane and I lost control of it. Power was out for a month.

pvtbanks and Joef like this.
  19. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Geez. You folks think you can sink a bunch of treasure into RAD? Buy an aquarium. You'll be begging for nickels on the street in no time!

pvtbanks, Joef, mrchick and 1 other person like this.
  20. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

We have a 3 gallon tank, we once had a 55 gallon tank but once the boys moved out so did the tank. It's a lot of work, we belong to a fish club, yes a fish club! We'd meet at Round Table pizza once a month and buy and sell, talk fish. Our favorites were Jewel cichlids.
    My wife buys a Betta every once in a while because they are so beautiful, I don't like that we keep them in a small bowl.
    Sometimes threads pop up at the strangest times in ones life, my mother in law has a octagon tank she wants to give us, I want it but my wife doesn't. I have to side with my wife, she'd be the one cleaning it. ;)