Are creams better for dry skin than soaps

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Kevinwine85, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

An asb helps against dry skin!

2. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I find Stirling soaps as well as OSP and the two Krampert's soaps to be better than most creams.

3. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

There are many soaps with lanolin that that hydrate skin nicely; but even when I use Williams or Arko, as long as I use a good aftershave balm ( like Nivea) dry skin doesn’t seem to be a problem.

Ksblazer likes this.
  4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

The chief purpose of Rise Super Foam is to hydrate the skin, to help the whiskers..."rise".

john zeiger likes this.
  5. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

Great explanation RyX. I continue to learn daily at TSD. Sure glad I joined.

RyX likes this.
  6. Paul Turner

@john zeiger , thanks for giving me a "like"...funny thing, when I read your comment to @RyX, I said "Hey John, didja like what I said, too? :)

RyX and john zeiger like this.
  7. john zeiger

Paul Turner, I always like what you say. I'm still trying to figure out your sense of humor though which I think is quite prevalent :) There I just gave you another like.:)

Paul Turner and RyX like this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm still trying to get a Sarcasm Font installed so folks will understand I'm joking or just poking fun.

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

john zeiger and Paul Turner like this.
  9. Paul Turner

Ah, I just try to keep things(and myself)on the light side whenever possible.

RyX and john zeiger like this.
  10. Paul Turner

I wonder what that would like, compared to the many "smileys" we can choose. :D

john zeiger and RyX like this.
  11. john zeiger

Having fun is part of what this is all about. That's why I enjoy your posts.

RyX and Paul Turner like this.
  12. RyX

RyX DoH!

There's a HTMLish Code that strikes out a word. It's subtle so you have to make it look like you said something, then scratched it out followed by the acceptable words.

I had a conversation with a young college student discussing Philosophy. At some point he declared me a Stoic. I've been a Practicing Stoic for more than ten years. It's not something you achieve, but constantly strive for. It shares many tenants with Christianity.

Here's some snippets I've collected from my reading.

"Virtue consists in a will which is in agreement with Nature. This principle also applies to the realm of interpersonal relationships - "to be free from anger, envy, and jealousy".
    In the words of Epictetus, "sick and yet happy, in peril and yet happy, dying and yet happy, in exile and happy, in disgrace and happy,"
    The idea was to be free of suffering through peace of mind (literally,'without passion), where peace of mind was understood in the ancient sense — being objective or having "clear judgment" and the maintenance of equanimity in the face of life's highs and lows."
    The four cardinal virtues of the Stoic philosophy are wisdom (Sophia), courage (Andreia), justice (Dikaiosyne), and temperance (Sophrosyne), a classification derived from the teachings of Plato."

One of my favorite quotes;

Say to yourself in the early morning: I shall meet today ungrateful, violent, treacherous, envious, uncharitable men. All of these things have come upon them through ignorance of real good and ill... I can neither be harmed by any of them, for no man will involve me in wrong, nor can I be angry with my kinsman or hate him; for we have come into the world to work together... Marcus Aurelius

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  13. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

Pretty much everyone here has already chimed in saying it depends on the ingredients, so I'll only add that I do like Taylor of Old Bond Street and Van Der Hagen for moisturizing cream and soap, respectively. I'm eager to try out Stirling's sheep-based tallow soaps, though.

RyX and Paul Turner like this.
  14. Leo501

Leo501 Well-Known Member

Whether soap or cream, for sensitive skin one of the most important things to look at is the ingredients. Some ingredients for fragrance or effect (menthol) can irritate sensitive skin, so it would probably be better to look for mild/basic ingredients and formulas specifically geared to sensitive skin.

15. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I find Cold River Soap Works "Schapenmelk" soap to be easy to lather and very very skin friendly. My face always feels great after using it. I would also agree that Stirling products works extremely well.

Michael_W likes this.
  16. Macbeth

Macbeth Active Member

I'm verypleased with the Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood
    Love the ease of a quick slick lather.
    May try another scent but dont know which one
    Suggestions?

17. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

This.

18. Paul Turner

Man, I miss Rise. Even though it wasn't the exact same as the original Rise.

brit likes this.
  19. Paul Turner

With respect, I think a better font title for your efforts would be All In Good Fun.

20. Carson West

Carson West Well-Known Member

Creams as opposed to soaps, don't contain more moisturizers. But I'm not concerned with face-feel after a shave because I always follow up with a balm.