Are Synthetics Really Best?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Steve C, Jul 23, 2017.

1. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

This. ^^^^^ Figure a month of shaves. Some go faster than others. I find Omega knots to take much less time than Semogue, for instance.

Redrock and Zykris like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup.

3. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

In general; don't overthink it.

4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Best for what? I think each type has it's good points. Personally I think a big boar brush like the Omega 98 or a good horse brush is best all around. Synthetics seem to use less product then the other types and dry quicker. That makes them better as travel brushes maybe. Badger lathers creams better sometimes. If all I had was a good synthetic I would do fine....I am glad I can have other brushes too though.

5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Use it. You might want to wash it a few times with shampoo first though. They do sometimes smell mighty funky when breaking in new.

Zykris and PickledNorthern like this.
  6. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I don't own a synthetic brush. I have two horse hair brushes, three badger and five boar. I enjoy them all and have a somewhat regular rotation. My daily choice of brush depends on my soap or cream. I am sure synthetic brushes are nice for some...I just prefer natural fiber...,YMMV.

Zykris, PickledNorthern and wchnu like this.
  7. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Synthetic brushes are more prone to this than natural hair brushes?

8. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

I think dollar for dollar synthetics are better. I think you have to spend a great deal of money. Maybe $200 to get a badger that is Bette than a $20 synthetic. So you could have one brush or ten. But once you have three or four good synthetics all with different handles why not drop some real coin on a nice badger? Then deicide in a month or three of se if it's as good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Tdmsu, Douglas Carey and Zykris like this.
  9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Your opinion.
    I prefer my $30 ($10 for the handle at an antique shop, $20 for the knot from TGN) over my synthetics. In my opinion, dollar for dollar, badger is better than boar, horse, or synthetic. I think it feels better. I think it lathers better. Therefore my "better" is better than your "better.":p

Tdmsu, Redrock, Douglas Carey and 2 others like this.
  10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :signs011:

Douglas Carey likes this.
  11. Steve C

Steve C Active Member

I suppose it makes sense that the quicker a brush dries out, the more convenient it is; but if you travel with some sort of a containing device that allows the brush not to touch anything else in your shaving kit, it probably wouldn't make a difference.

Of course "I" would be concerned about the potential build up of mold, except for the fact that the brush get used every day. Some scientist in here, will tell me whether or not mold is even possible on synthetics versus natural hair or not.
    It could be a totally irrational concern on my part.

12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Since the synthetic dries out faster there is less chance of mold. That is the concern with storing a wet brush.... Not getting anything else wet.

Douglas Carey, Tdmsu and BigMark83 like this.
  13. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    No, storing a damp brush ANYWHERE will encourage mold growth. If you are underway somewhere with a damp brush stored, upon arriving at your destination, you should remove it and allow it to thoroughly dry out, before putting it away.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  14. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

When I shake out my synthetic travel brush well, and dry it with a towel, it is already 90% dry.

For home use, it is all personal preference, but for travel, it is hard to beat a synthetic brush.

15. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Synthetic fibers are not porous either. I believe that also inhibits most if not all bacterial growth as well. I'm currently using a Synthetic brush I bought from WCS. I LOVE it, when paired with cream. Ive got my boar for soaps. I'm actually considering purchasing another Synthetic.

16. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Ever since I bought my Plissoft synthetic it's become my go-to. I love it.

Douglas Carey and BigMark83 like this.
  17. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

This is my only criticism of synths. If I use a synth with the same "Con Brio" application style I use with my badgers, the result is bits of lather slung around my shave den. I have to tone it down a bit when I use a synth.

18. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I do like synthetic brushes better than a natural hair brush. I couldn't live without a badger or boar though.

BigMark83 likes this.
  19. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I have five synthetic brushes, one boar, and one badger. My least favorite is the badger.

dustmite and PickledNorthern like this.
  20. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Boars and badgers are pack animals and should have at least one other to socialize with. But be careful because then they reproduce.