Are Synthetics Really Best?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Steve C, Jul 23, 2017.

1. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Yup. I am currently trying to decide on the best course for an old boar brush. The knot is in great shape but the outer painted coating on the handle is splitting. I'm hoping some Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure will stabilize the handle enough to continue using it. I have some old boar and badger cased boar brushes that are still doing just fine.

2. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

I manged a really nice over stuffed Silvertip Badger for $56 (it was on sale) from RazoRock and really enjoy it. In fact, it is the only badger I use, at this moment.

[​IMG]

jimjo1031 likes this.
  3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

You just proved my point (on sale).

Kokak and PickledNorthern like this.
  4. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Touche :)

Bama Samurai likes this.
  5. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Hoping I'm not hijacking the thread but I did have a question in regards to synthetics. I have a 24mm WD black/white synthetic. It's an approximately 56mm loft. My question is, is there a synthetic with a little less backbone that this? Perhaps a higher loft? Whenever I splay the knot it gets a little too scratchy. I do have two boar brushes that are great with the scrub but not scratchy. I'd like another view point of the synthetic line.

6. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Almonds are the best.

7. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I own a WCS and it's not scritchy at all. Actually my commodore feels sritchy after using it.

Zykris likes this.
  8. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I am quite partial to the macadamia.

Zykris likes this.
  9. Bama Samurai

Brazil nuts close second.

Zykris likes this.
  10. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I beg to differ Sir....Synthetic low price can't be beat? My Vie-long Horse Hair was a gift from Fuzzy and cost me NOTHING! And this Horse Hair can get lather from a rock! And it doesn't shed! And it's got plenty of backbone and oh so soft on my face...and cost nothing! Top that value with a name synthetic!

All kidding aside...if I had bought this V-L Horse on-line it would have been between $19 and $24 depending on where I ordered it..And the brush does what my badgers do well, as good as the badgers and what my boars did well as good as my boars...I believe a good horse brush can be as good as it gets...IMHO.....course YMMV.....Except, I'm RIGHT !!! of course YMMV...lol!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  11. Bama Samurai

Never tried a horse. You may indeed be right!

Zykris and Bird Lives like this.
  12. nav

nav Well-Known Member

Yup, once i figured out how to properly use the synthetics, i haven't used any natural hair brush. I don't like badger brushes at all and was a boar user for about 9 years but now, exclusively synthetics.

I have 6 of them and am very happy as i have a variety of knots.

PickledNorthern and Zykris like this.
  13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Just curious, what don't you like about badger brushes? They're my preference; 9 badger, 6 boar, 2 synthetic, 1 nylon, 1 badger/boar mix - all get used in rotation.

Marc Bagwell and PickledNorthern like this.
  14. PickledNorthern

All these badger haters are freaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Puma, TheFiveO, entropy1049 and 2 others like this.
  15. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

I've tried sooooooo hard to love synthetics and have tried many generations and iterations thereof...at the end of the day, it always comes down to one fatal flaw for me: They simply don't hold onto water as well as badger. I use a RR 400 aluminum/Plissoft as a travel brush however for this reason. But I don't love it for it's purpose, I like it for the low maintenance on the road.

Love me some boar and horsey too tho...

Puma, PickledNorthern and Linuxguile like this.
  16. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I have 5 badger, 1 horse hair, 1 synthetic, and 4 boar brushes. One of the boar, a Semogue 1250, is new and will gets its first workout with today's shave. I started with badgers and over this first year of DE shaving I have moved to where I do not use the badgers anymore or very very seldom. The horse hair maybe once or twice a month. The Omega synthetic, which I like better than any of the badgers, has become my travel brush as it drys quickly. The boars are used for almost all my shaves. To each his own.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  17. PickledNorthern

Presented without additional comment:

[​IMG]

18. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

+1
    [​IMG]

Jim99, Puma, PickledNorthern and 2 others like this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

i have 2 semogue boar,2 plissoft,and 2 badger,no real favorite at this point,all work well.mood and soap type pick the brush for me.

20. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

Dear friends,
    I've been a wet shaver for 45 year now, albeit not all of them DE or SE as I succumbed to the Gillette advertising (brain washing) into cart shaving in my younger more foolish days. Not any longer.
    Anyway, in all these years I mostly used cheap boar brushes that were getting the job done. About 8 yeard ago a friend gave me a brand new Kent best Badger which I used to oblivion as I listened to my barber who insisted I keep the brush always wet at all costs.
    In my later years, I tried silvertip badger, boar, horse and synthetics. I came to the conclusion that synths are the best bet as they are the best compromise one could have. I bought a few Plisson synths, Muhle, among others, even to the point of having a couple of Rubberset 400 replica handles mounted with synthetic knots. Life was trotting along nicely and I in my brush nirvana, I was thinking, never again anything unless it's synthetic.
    Little did I know when my friend Steve Hardy ( of RMS & u-tube fame) sent me a 2band finest badger brush made by HoneyFarmDesign in the U.S. Never and I mean never, had my face been touched by anything as soft feeling and as efficient, with backbone to handle anything thrown at it and a wooden handle to die for.
    IMHO&YMMV, any badger will not necessarily be a good one. As badger hair mostly comes from China nowadays, one has to be careful were to buy from. Now I'm all for good quality badger, getting it from sourses that know how to choose. I ordered a second brush from HoneyFarmDesigns today and I asked the proprietor if it would be advisable to knot the handle with silvertip. His answer was that he uses the 2band finest himself.
    This below is what is in the mail for me.
    [​IMG]

PickledNorthern likes this.