Are the sub $90 Silvertip brushes any good?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Fly2High, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

I have seen several companies sell silvertip shaving brushes from $60 - $90. How are they?

Do they last?

Anyone use them on hard soaps or do you use them just for creams?

Are they packed sufficiently to have sufficient spine?

If you use one of these lesser prices silvertip, do you have a favorite?

Thanks

Bama Samurai and Douglas Carey like this.
  2. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Check out Whipped Dog brushes. I have 3 and like them all. They're made-to-order and prices are all under $50. Larry, the owner, is extremely accommodating and will work with you to get what you want.

HERM

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I have a custom silvertip from Elite Razor. $75, give or take. Excellent brush. Not too stiff, packed very nice, not floppy at all.

They'll last as long as you take care of it. I don't baby my brushes, but I don't abuse them, either.

There is no such thing as a "soap" brush, or a "cream" brush, or a "face lathering" brush, or a "bowl lathering" brush, only "personal preference" brushes. All shaving brushes of reputable name will whip up a lather in a bowl or on youd face with soaps or creams, once you learn how to use it; each one is different.

4. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Before shifting to synthetic brushes, I used a few Frank Shaving badger brushes that were sub $50.00. The ones I had were well built and worked very well indeed. So, yes, there are a few nice badgers out there at good prices.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  5. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Are any of these Silvertip?

I cannot believe it . Just got back from their site and boy are they affordable. Need to check out some photos and reviews and they might be a good option. I also like the idea of buying a knot from the pen guys and just grab a handle.

Thanks for the head's up

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  6. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

7. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

8. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Was in an AOS and felt the difference between what I have and the various levels and fell in love with the look and feel of the silvertip. I have never lathered with one so I was only going by look and feel.

9. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

One thing I didn't know until a few weeks ago was that badger (at least the finest knots) actually feel different when they are wet. When dry my brush feels very pokey. But when the tips get saturated it becomes velvety soft.

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

10. Rib

Rib Well-Known Member

I'll re-voice Whipped Dog as a fantastic option that is great quality for a very reasonable price.

I got a silvertip knot and luna brush handle from him and i think i was under $50 for it. creates beautiful lather, tons of it and is silky smooth on the face. Prior to my whipped dog I had only used an AOS Pure Badger brush.

Zykris, Douglas Carey and Linuxguile like this.
  11. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

A lot of users also speak very very highly of the Envy White 2-band knot from Envy Shave dot com. The knot costs $54 (his silvertip by contrast is $36), which with a handle from somewhere can get you into a brush for well under $90.

If I get myself another badger (I currently just have boar and synthetics), I expect I'll go this route.

12. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I'm very interested in Semogue extra dence silvertip 2016-06-15-18-51-39--1388447246.jpg like the one pictured.
    I've got very nice results from the boar knots, ive had from them.
    I'm thinking a high density should be veeerrry nice, and still less than 90 bucks (60-75ish).
    And the handle looks super cool.

13. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Of my three brushes, two are Silvertips. One Parker and one Omega. Pictures in your "Best Brushes" thread. I like the feel of the handle of the Omega. The Parker is currently on hiatus.

14. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I have a number of Silvertip brushes, a couple that are overpriced and not any better than a WD or RazoRock Silvertip. Save your money.

Str8on2 likes this.
  15. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

That is a fantastic brush.

16. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

I have some Virginia Sheng Silvertip knots that were less than $20.00. For me, they are excellent and I am confident they will last many, many years. Seriously, you do not have to pay big (somewhat subjective) bucks for a good Silvertip. I have one of Larry's Silvertip knots which is an excellent knot. Shop around. Nice brushes are available at reasonable prices. Ask here for advice before a purchase, if needed.

Hope this helps.

Zykris and Douglas Carey like this.
  17. KAV

KAV Well-Known Member

These brushes are fine. Buying a name at a inflated prices only to have it shed or arrive blemished with a cracked handle and face a line in the sand by the current ownership is not. Later on you may develop or desire some personal variables or just plain fall in love with a Paladin, Ben Sears etc.

18. Straight razor dandy

There is a pif on here offering 2 badgers. You should get in it.

19. Straight razor dandy

20. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    All my silvertip brushes are sub $40 and I believe very good brushes. I spend the money on the knot and make my own handles. Right now I am shaving with one of my favorite silvertips, the Jayaruh #30.
    jr30rs_30.JPG