Aristocrat

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Drew, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Drew

Drew Member

How well does the Aristrocrat shave compared to a redtip SS? I've heard they are very similar, and the razor looks beautiful. Are they worth the premium price?

I sure like the looks of them (the gold ones inparticular)... if anyone is sellin', I may be interested.

thanks
    Drew

2. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I'm assuming that you are talking about the US Aristocrat. The shave is very similar to the Red Tip SS, but the Aristocrat feels heavier (no scale, just doing this by hand), and the elegance factor of a sharp condition Aristocrat is off the charts, IMHO. I don't know what your price range is, but I just picked this one up from eBay for $30 shipped -- which is by far the cheapest of any I have purchased.

3. Drew

Drew Member

Wow Rick, beautiful razor! I'll tell ya what... I'll give you a cool $30.50 for it :D

I guess I'll have to be patient... hopefully I can duplicate your success with finding such a pristine razor at a great price.

regards
    Drew

4. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

I find the Aristocrat to be extremely similar to the Red Tip shave. The heads are almost identical in loft.

5. Hiya Drew,

Figure on having to buy one of those at some point......no matter how they shave. Those things are really nice looking razors.....I like em so much I've probably bought half a dozen over time. That doesn't include the occasional Diplomat (very similar razor). Only problem I have is they never work well for me, and I end up selling em to members. Hehe (chuckling nervously), I still have one Diplomat in near mint condition that I know I'll never shave with. Hmmmmm, I have a few razors with that situation of never going to be used, but beautiful to look at. I wonder if there's some sorta name for that 'quirk'?

Anyway, did you notice the offhanded way the Cheeky Monkey tossed out that low price on his ebay score? Hehe, he forgot to mention the odds of that deal, and that similar razors/box combos will often sell for an extra $25-30 or more. I did like his pics though.............always nice to see someone who enjoys his work.....heh. Oh, I just noticed Rick DID mention the price being unusually good.

You may see an Aristocrat in a little worse shape for around $30 in the BST section here at TSD at some point..maybe without a box. Yeah, they're very handsome razors all right.
    Martin

6. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

the ARICKTOCRAT.

[​IMG]

7. Hi again Drew,

You seem like a nice guy and I'm sorry to do this to you. Heh, there's a number of different Aristocrat types......some even more beautiful than the 40's type as pictured in this thread.

I'm unable to post pics easily, but I wonder if some nice member might post a pic of their 1934 type Aristocrat. I think you might find it amusing, Drew.

Glad to help with your confusion,
    Martin

8. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Did somebody call for a 1930's Aristocrat? :)

9. Hi Rick,

Thanks for the very pleasant pics of that razor. That'll give Drew something else to think about.....heh.

Rick, in a way I'm glad I don't own that thing. I couldn't bring myself to ever shave with it because of the great condition it's in.
    Martin