Around the lips

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by MrChrome, Aug 19, 2014.

1. MrChrome

MrChrome Member

So now that I've started DE shaving, I find the stache and around the lips to be the hardest part to shave. I was hoping some of you would have some tips. I can never get my razor head right under my nose, so I tend to have to eliminate my razor when I do an XTG pass. However, still I get random hairs that I just can't get; especially on the outskirts of my lips. Maybe I'm just really cautious about shaving so close to sensitive areas, but I always find myself cleaning up my lips and whiskers with my cartridge razor. How can I ensure I get everything with a DE?

2. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

3. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I have a mustache and goatee, so it's not as big an issue for me, but for the corners of my mouth and other tight areas I do a touch up with a Schick injector. Much smaller head, and easier to get into the corners.

4. Latherette

Latherette Active Member

It's all a matter of practice. Make sure you follow the curves around the lips with a very light touch to begin - I still get the best results shaving downwards all the way around my mouth.
    At 2nd pass I shave from the center of my nose (below it, of course) outwards. After a little while you will be able to shave with the blade angled a bit towards the nostrils - this improves the results.

5. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I wasn't clear on this. You have a 'stache? If not, do what I do. Pull up on your nose. Also I Use my tongue and push out around the mouth to stretch out the lip area. Works for me using a LIGHT Touch.

6. MrChrome

MrChrome Member

I grow everything out, I haven't really bothered with style in awhile. So yes, I got a moustache with my beard. Might work it down to a goatee. I guess one of the problems is not stretching out the skin around my mouth. I try to avoid getting the taste of lather on my tongue ;_;

7. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

It takes a bit of practice to find your technique when shaving in those areas. When shaving under the nose I angle the head of the razor so that I am using the corners of the blade around my nostril area, and when shaving around the lips I do a slower, more cautious XTG pass with the blade as close as possible to my lip.

J.F. Martin likes this.
  8. Technium

Technium Active Member

For some making the O face is helpful, mouth open, but lips contracted so your teeth aren't showing.

clint64 likes this.
  9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thanks for that tip. I have the same issue and maybe this will help.

10. Technium

Technium Active Member

Give it a road test. I initially got it from the Sharpologist guy, Mantic...but it's widely used. I'd be curious to hear whether it's helpful or not.

11. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I cant do that. When I push on my lip with my tongue It feels like I'm trying to shave with a cheese grater. To much blade exposure.

I blow up my lips, VEEEEERY light pressure so the skin is taught but not to thought. Then I shave with very light pressure. It's hard to explain, I don't know if that made it any sense

Technium likes this.
  12. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

:eek: Will get the job done

13. Sgt.Beardface

Sgt.Beardface Member

It came to me by just finally building the confidence to go at it. It's intimidating with the edges of your lips, nose, etc but can be done and doesn't require anything special. I use my razor to push my nose up and actually just fold my lips in shave straight over the edge. Maybe my face is weird but it works for me and get smooth.

14. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thanks again for the tip. It did help this morning. After a few days, I am sure that it will become much easier as I get better at it.

Technium likes this.
  15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

This is usually the case. Glad you to read you are having success.

Technium likes this.
  16. Technium

Technium Active Member

Great. Glad it seemed to help. I bet HolyRollah is right.

17. Technium

Technium Active Member

I think I'll try this blowfish option out.