As you got older, did your chosen razor and blade change?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Fly2High, Mar 25, 2017.

1. The Fox

The Fox Well-Known Member

I started shaving with a Braun electric as a teen and that was fine for several years. But as I approached 30, I started to look really scruffy by 3:00 in the afternoon, so I switched to cartridge razors. Initially, I thought I was going to have trouble with sensitive skin, but it turned out my face toughened up after about two weeks. At 40, after leaving the military, I switched to DE blades and straight razors. But that wasn't really anything to do with my skin. With my new found freedom to grow facial hair, I discovered those 5 blade razors made it very difficult to shave around my 1910's style beard but the old fashioned razors work great in that regard. Plus they look cool.

wchnu likes this.
  2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

We can see that from your avatar picture. :scared003:

Bama Samurai likes this.
  3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Do you have any idea how long I had to stand still for that daguerrotype?

AGHisBBS and wchnu like this.
  4. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

So I’m pushing 70. I can’t say that any of my shaving routines have been altered over the years due to aging changes in my body or mindset. Most of the changes I made to my routine were due to changes in technology. I used DEs and Injectors until I couldn’t find them or blades in my local stores anymore; had to take up carts foe a bit. I used mug soap until I couldn’t find it in the local stores anymore; had to use canned goo for a while. Used all different scents of Aqua Velva and numerous other old school AS until I couldn’t find them in my local stores anymore; had to use just Old Spice for a bit. Then came the internet and a lot of items became available again. Nope, I haven’t really changed much from how I shaved in the sixties. If I can find it I still use it.

5. Shave7

Shave7 Active Member

I'm 80 years old and I have noticed my whiskers, fingernails, and toenails have become coarser, thicker, and more difficult to cut. I noticed this change started perhaps in my 60's. In my younger years a Gillette Flare Tip did fine, but now it's too mild. The Red Tip is necessary. Our bodies do change with the passage of time.

OTOH I have noticed my skin has become thinner. It's more vulnerable to bruising and to cuts, nicks, and scrapes

6. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

Great! I can see I have some wonderful things to look forward to.

jsw41 likes this.
  7. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I'm only 70, been DE/SE shaving since I was 15 and the one slight thing that I've noticed is that my lower neck skin can be stretched up to my chin. And believe it or not my wife still thinks I'm good lookin. Think I better get her new glasses.