ASCO super stainless blades?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by dcrosso, Aug 12, 2010.

1. dcrosso

dcrosso New Member

UPDATED NOVEMBER 14, 2010

Anyone using the orange box or red box ASCO blades?

About 1 1/2 months ago I read about ASCO (orange box-5 blades) blades in the blade review forum. Because of the review, I decided to purchase a 100, for $20, to try out. I have been shaving with them exclusively for the past three weeks and getting great shaves. (I shave almost every day) They are a little sharper/smoother then my IsraeIi Personna's. I have been getting about six shaves per ASCO blade. I only get about three shaves per blade with the Personna's. I decided I was going to stock up on 200 more of the ASCO blade.

I did a search to try to get a better price on the orange box blades. I found a source in Turkey for the ASCO, red box (10 blades) at about half the price I previously paid, (includes free shipping) for the orange box blades.

The price for the 200 blades I ordered from Turkey was $10.90 per 100 blades. For each hundred blades they will include the gift of an ARKO shave stick.

Anyone else using the ASCO blades. What do you think? They have been working very well for me. YMMV

Sept. 1, 2010

I finallly got in the 200 Red Box/blue end, ASCO blades I had ordered from Turkey. The seller included two ARKO shave sticks.

I have been shaving with the Red box/blue end (RBBE) blade the past four days. The RBBE blades shave exactly like the Orange box blade. I can feel no difference. They (Red box/blue end and Orange box) are the smoothest cutting blades I have yet tried. I have been getting six great shaves out of each ASCO Orange box blade. I will see how many I can get out of the RBBE blades. I plan to use the RBBE blades for the next several weeks to throughly test them.

I completed my 7th shave with the RBBE blade. I got a good shave on the 7th, but not as good as the previous 6. On my face seven shaves with the orange box and the RBBE is pushing the edge.

One thing I forgot to state about the red box blades that I received. They were five blades per box, not ten as I previously thought. Also the sleeve, the boxed blades came in was red/blue and silver. The individual five blade boxes are almost all blue with a red end.

The blades I received are not the Red Box that Squire tested. This could get confusing with out a product number to differentiate between the higher quality Lords and the lower.

I think the ten blade, red box and the five blade, orange box blades are the same blade but I have not been able to confirm that.

UPDATE: November 14, 2010

I went to Bestshave to order some more ASCO blades for a friend of mine. I can no longer locate any source for the Red Box/Blue end, ASCO blades. The last price I noted at Best Shave was $12.90 per one hundred.

Anybody know of another source for the ASCO blade at around $12.90 per hundred? The other sources I looked at wanted $20 plus shipping for the same blade.

2. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I use the Asco Orange box blades and get very nice shaves with them. Haven't tried the red box so can't/won't comment on them. For a non coated blade, they work very well, easy on my face and give a fine shave. Good luck with yours.

3. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if the more popular vendors from around these parts carry this brand of blade?

4. NUMCKS

NUMCKS Well-Known Member

5. dashmaverick

dashmaverick Member

Shoebox Shave Shop carries all 3 Asco varieties as well as the whole Lord blade line-up.

6. CSL

CSL Member

Just tried an Asco (orange wrapper).

Very good.

7. here in Italy they are not, I hope one day to try ...

8. gman41

gman41 Member

I don't Know

The Lord range or line is so big I wonder if there is a difference between brands and how much difference there is. How many kinds of steel can they get, how many different processing ways can there can be.

9. CSL

CSL Member

Well, I found a HUGE difference between the Asco & the Lord Super Stainless I'd tried the day before. The Asco was excellent & the Lord, completely sub-standard.

10. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

ASCO.... interesting. I think they carry them at bestshave.net 100 for 10 bucks...

ASCO in spanish means it makes you sick. like puking kind of sick.

11. gman41

gman41 Member

Huge Difference

A huge difference is one thing, slight is another. I imagine they can turn out a lower end blade for the developing world and a higher end one for Western Europe/ USA standards. It's how many are in between is my question. My own opinion and I can be completely wrong in this, is that the Lord brand would be the better end line since it is more widely marketed and well known in the western countries for many decades now. It bears the company name as well. Things change in the factory process as we all know so maybe the quality has declined in the Lord name but I use them without a problem. Lord never states this to the retailers or on their site as to which one is good, better, best. At some point all of their many named lines fit in this rating.

12. CSL

CSL Member

Well, all I can say is the difference was like night & day.
    Both blades came in the same sampler pack. The Lord was crummy & the Asco, great.

13. Jaeger

Jaeger Member

+1. I'm still working through my sample pack, but I was pleasantly surprised by the Asco (orange) blade. The Lord blades (Super Stainless, Extra, Chrome and Platinum class) where much the same - Chrome was the best of them, and the "Platinum" very disappointing.

I'm kind of torn between the Feather Hi-Stainless and the Asco (but I still have the Shark, Derby and Personna Red to try.)

The Feather is exceptionally sharp, but very unforgiving. Get it right, and it's brilliant; slip up, and it's a world of hurt. I'm hoping that's overconfidence or inexperience.

The Asco doesn't feel like a sharp blade, but it does deliver a close shave with several passes. More importantly, it delivers day after day after day (unlike the Astra Platinum - one good shave, then a bloodbath.) I'm not sure that I used up the full potential of the blade - but after a week I felt that it must need replacing.??

I still want to try all of the blades, twice, before passing judgement - but from a beginner's perspective, the Asco (orange) blade is pretty hard to beat!

palmolive fox likes this.