Astra green

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Kevinwine85, May 19, 2018.

1. Kevinwine85

Kevinwine85 Well-Known Member

Hey gents, I just ordered a 5 pack of Astra green blades, anyone have any input on the blades or any advice on what setting I should start on with that blade in my Fatboy?

Frijolero and RyX like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Astra Superior Platinum.gif Been a favorite for all my DE razors. In a Fat Boy I worked my way up to Number Nine, three passes with no errors or razor burn. Ride the cap. I stopped counting number of shaves from a blade and just enjoy one until it starts to tug. At a guess; 4-6 uses.

Frijolero, brit and Edison Carter like this.
  3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

If you've used the Fatboy before, keep it on the setting that works for you. But if you haven't, I'd suggest #5 and see how it feels. You can then decide if you want to increase or decrease the setting.

Herm2502, Frijolero and RyX like this.
  4. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Astra SPs (green) are the favorite of many, myself included. When they first came out they were dirt cheap and I bought about 1,000 of them. I have enough to last for YEARS as I get a week's worth of shaves out of each blade.

Frijolero, brit and RyX like this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Love those blades. 5 is a good place to start.

6. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Astra SP, never heard "green" before, great blade, now get a great razor to go with them! OLD type, New Improved, New, maybe a pre-war Tech, Fatip Piccolo,... yeah, that'll be a good start. :happy088:

7. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

Astra SP are great blades.....but not quite as great as Astra SS !!!

Frijolero likes this.
  8. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Those are both great, but not as great as Feather!!!

9. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

You fellas know I'm right, TTO's and adjustables are gimmicks for the gullible, the King himself would have never owned one or approved of their manufacture, and they were not designed by Gillette.

Frijolero likes this.
  10. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

Astra SS packaging looks the same as Astra SP, but blue instead of green. Both blades are great but I always liked Astra SS more. My all time favorite blades.

Frijolero likes this.
  11. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Yes I realized my mistake and deleted my post. But thank you

Frijolero likes this.
  12. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

IMO-Astras are great. Start on setting 3

13. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

Nah.

But that's okay. Whatever floats your boat - or anyone else's boat - is fine with me.

Frijolero likes this.
  14. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Delete that one! :p

Frijolero likes this.
  15. RyX

RyX DoH!

I haven't encountered the SS / Blue pack. How do they compare for you?

That's my other Blade of Choice, although I've found I like Kai blades, too.
    Any one of the three are good in a Fatip. ;)

Frijolero, Edison Carter and TobyC like this.
  16. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

I like Kai also. :happy088:

It seems most folks prefer the Astra SS to the SP, I didn't notice any difference.

Frijolero likes this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

I live in a small city with little stock on the shelves, but both Feather and Astra SP are available here. Probably pay too much buying single tucks.

Anyone found a reputable / cheap supplier of any of the aforementioned blades in 100 packs?

18. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

DE Razor blades are so important to a nice shave, beards can very from coarse ,medium and soft whiskers.
    Manufactures have come up with some very interesting designs featuring stainless and carbon steels with different coatings like Teflon,diamonds,carbide platinum,iridium and Chrome to name a few. This is my best way of explaining what is important by the makeshift chart photo that I Have experienced with all these blades that I have used and enjoyed. This should get most in the ballpark if undecided what to buy, l personally like mostly all the ones in the Sharp & Smooth area and have used them all. Going to the extreme sharpest blade for a newbie should not really be a starting point until your technique is good and then give it a whirl.
    20180527_092127_crop_554x795.jpg

[​IMG]

Hope it helps you in blade selection.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    MR41, brit and RyX like this.
  19. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Amazon.

RyX likes this.
  20. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Great DIY infographic. My experience lines up with it pretty well.