Astra SP

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by ironthinker, Jan 27, 2014.

1. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

I am trying a variety of blades. Astra SP are one of my top tier blades. I read on another forum that a fellow gets two more shaves with Astra SP. Is there any one in this forum that like Astras for both performance and longevity?

2. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Yup, Astra SP is one of my favorites also. Depending on razor I get 3-5 shaves pr. blade without feeling I'm pushing it. I change the blade when it feels it's time, not on a standard term like eg. 2 shaves and no more. If it shaves, it stays.

Sir ShavesAlot likes this.
  3. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Astra is a top blade for me, but I can only get 2 good shaves and 1 additional OK shave out of a blade. At 10 cents/blade I don't mind too much though.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Astra SP is the only blade I will buy in bulk, if that tells you anything ;)

dscaver and BigT like this.
  5. Aimless1

Aimless1 Active Member

Have to love the YMMV aspect of shaving. It is an okay blade for me with Crystals or Persona Reds ranked ahead and Derbys & Merkurs below. I find it tugs no matter which razor I use.

6. 2grubswrestle1

2grubswrestle1 Active Member

I usually get About 4 shaves out of a blade....just 2 or 3 pass face shave....no dome. I have not pushed it they are cheap. They are my favorite blade so far...I just ordered some Super Max Stainless and Super Max Platinum blades to try!

7. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Blades are very YMMV. However, Astra SPs are my #1 blade... I have over 1,000 of them on hand "just in case." I get 7 shaves @ 2-3 passes per shave out of them. So, one blade a week and I have a tough beard. Once in a while, I stray to some other blade (I have a few random packs left from over the years), just to remind myself of how much I like Astras.

tuxxdk likes this.
  8. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

Astra SPs have become my #1 blade as well. I only get 2 - 3 shaves per blade.

9. mbastings

mbastings Active Member

The Astras quickly rose to the top when I ordered my first sampler. They remain a favorite with the Gillette 7 O'Clock yellow having taken the top spot. However, I'm always satisfied when I use the Astras.

10. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Funny, I started out with Yellows as my #1, until I discovered Astras. :)

mbastings likes this.
  11. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Astras are my #2 pick behind Gillette Silver Blues

12. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

Astras are in my top 3. With YMMV in mind, I get 4 great shaves and 1 or 2 good shaves out of a blade.

13. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

I don't care for them. Personna labs are much sharper and work better for me. Plus they're made in the good 'ol US of A.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  14. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

Astra's are my number 1 blade. I get about four shaves out of one.

15. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Must try Astras

richgem likes this.
  16. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

It's my favorite blade so far. Not that I have tried many, but these are my favorite.

17. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

It's been so longsince I've used them I can't remember which Astra I liked best, I'll have to go through my shave log. Of current, in-production blades I have a few that are all at the top, the best by far of any blade though, for me, are the Personna 74s.

18. The_Dude_Abides

The_Dude_Abides Active Member

I'm one of the minority who doesn't like Astras. I don't find them to be that smooth and I almost always end up with weepers on my chin.

19. KLF

KLF Doctorin

It was the same with me when I tried the Astra SP, dont know why. Can't use them at all

20. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

The Astra Plat is one of my favorites. Good, clean, comfortable shaves.

2grubswrestle1 likes this.