Astra SP

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Bobby mcbobstien, Feb 22, 2017.

1. I must say gents, i cant find a better blade than this. Absolutely a smooth, comfortable shave. I have used all blades, top brands like feathers and personna med prep. I know YMMV but for the money/performance Astra SP it is for me.

Matt0210, Herm2502, BigMike and 3 others like this.
  2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Definitely one of the better blades for me as well.

Sent via mobile - Chris

Matt0210 and brit like this.
  3. Legend In My Spare Time

Legend In My Spare Time Well-Known Member

Astra SPs are my go-to/all around favorite blade, easily. Like you said - nothing but buttery smooth shaves. I have also used all the top brands, and there have been some that come close, but when it comes to YMMV, Astra SPs are my #1 choice.

Reminds me - I should probably order a couple hundred more. I always like to have at least 2-300 in storage. At $10 or $11 per 100 ct., it would be foolish not to. :)

brit likes this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    An excellent blade for sure.

brit likes this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

on of the first blades i ve used,and still a favourite.i also use gsbs,voskhods,gillette platinums and wilkinsons. i have astra ss as well but haven t tried them yet.still waiting on permasharps.

6. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Good blade for me also!

brit likes this.
  7. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Just to prove YMMV, I've not had any success with Astra. Used 'em in 3 blade auditions and always got better results with other blades. Glad they work for you guys!

Demidog, brit and Taipan like this.
  8. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I like the Astra SP in my Merkur 34c. I have not tried them yet in my G1 Fatboy. Maybe on Friday. So far the Fatboy seems to take just about any blade and gives a good shave. I did buy 400 Astra SP blades, so they will be with me for a few more shaves.

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Seems like the Astra SP works in any razor, and the HD works with any blade.

My thoughts, anyway.

BigMike, GatorJoe and Col C like this.
  10. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Agree - when I did my blade test just using the 34c - I ended up with a dozen or so blades that worked well. I have tried the same blades with my Muhle R89 and only about half of the same blades give a good shave.

11. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

The Astra SP blades are in my top three list of blades. They work well in all of my DEs.

12. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

My favorite blade and I have tried a bunch. My shave today was with an Astra SP. Absolutely BBS. I do three shaves max per blade. At about 10 cents per blade it is a very good value. Just think, 300 shaves for $10.00. IMHO, can't be beat.:happy093:

13. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I have used Astra SP's probably 90+% of the time for about 3 years now. I think they are definitely the best all around blade for me. Lately however I've been looking for something sharper, but a little smoother than a feather. I'm beginning to wonder if Polsilver SI's are gonna unseat my Astras as my go to blade.(Astra still wins on price by half.)

14. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Yes, nice blade. Very sharp, reasonably smooth.

15. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Can use it, but simply not sharp enough. Gives a nice, but not real close shave.

16. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Astra SP blades are in my top 3 blades!

17. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Astra SP's are in my top 3 also. A daily use blade along with Vikings Sword and Polsilver Super Iridiums. :)

18. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Astra SP's after regular go-to blade.

HERM

19. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

Astra has a huge following. They're really good blades. I prefer the SS over the SP though. They feel smoother and sharper to me. The SP seem like they struggle to get through my beard, but my beard is pretty thick. I got SP and SS in the first sample pack I ever bought. I tried Voskhods, Sharks, Sharps, and a few others, but once I got to the Astra, I knew they were my blades.

20. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Very good blade and use it 6 out of 7 shaves. Personna 74* is by far my favorite but due to availability at a reasonable cost only use on sundays and my Birthday. I get 30+ shavesnd have 12 left so I am good there for years.
    As for Astras great value and work well. Other blade I'll use are Ladas, similar in sharpness and feel but don't last as long (2-3 shaves) than Astras (4-5). I had to restock my Astra's and don't see anything taking its place any time soon.