Astra Super Platinum. New design or fakes?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by dh0licious, Nov 26, 2017.

1. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I agree that it's probably just a way for Astra to save money, all that ink costs when your taking about millions of blades.
    I just wish they would decide to save money by eliminating the :angry019: glue spots! That would not only save money but would make me sooooooo happy!! :happy093:

AGHisBBS and FaceScraper like this.
  2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Ditto!

3. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

Feathers are even worse. I’m sure it costs a tad bit more, but I wish others would take a cue from Dorco. They double wrap each blade - no glue!

AGHisBBS and 178-bplatoon like this.
  4. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

only one way to know, shave with them

5. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Glue keeps the blade from banging around in the package and compromising the edge. I hope those who make quality blades avoid doing anything like dorco.

FaceScraper likes this.
  6. FaceScraper

I’d be lying if I said Dorco made my favorite blade. However, I got some very good shaves out of a Dorco blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TobyC likes this.
  7. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Personna and Vikings sword don't use the glue and their blades are excellent IMO. :)

TobyC and FaceScraper like this.
  8. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Interesting observation... Bic blades don't use glue dots, but they have become a favorite blade of mine.

TobyC and FaceScraper like this.
  9. FaceScraper

Back to the Astras, if you really think about it, how likely is it that there would be counterfeiting in the DE blade world...as in true counterfeiting? I could see rebranding, but counterfeiting, nah. Not likely. Not that it can’t or won’t happen...
    There’s quite a process to made those blades. And, given how little they sell for, there’s a world of other items you’d do much better with making counterfeit pieces. Like fake Coach bags, Rolexes, etc.

10. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

+1 to the above statement. I just don't see there being enough money involved to make counterfeit blades. The margin has to be low when you can but 100 for $10.

FaceScraper likes this.
  11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Use them. That's what really matters.

FaceScraper likes this.
  12. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Welcome to TSD!

FaceScraper likes this.