Astra Superior Platinum blades: cardboard or plastic?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by arizona dreams, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Since I'm going to take some 'of these blades, I was informed about the product, and I saw that there are two types of packaging blades astra platinum: an' in plastic dispenser, high in a hardcover. There 's the difference between the two, and or' the same product? Or perhaps they are manufactured in different places? Thanks to those who can 'answer .... [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. geneaut

geneaut Member

I've never heard of Atra SPs coming in more than one type so I would guess they are the same, just different packaging.

3. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

some times vendors package the same product differently, because the same product may go to different markets (countries). so maybe they will pay more in European countries so they package it nicely.

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I believe they have changed the packaging. At least in the US.

When I first starting selling the Astras in TSD Store, they came in the plastic dispensers. Now, they come in the cardboard.

And Phil threw in a pack with my recent order. It was a cardboard dispenser, also.

5. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

That's my experience and I feel I buy enough to know (it's my favorite blade). The other change is the glue. The glue with the cardboard package is less sticky and bothersome IMHO.

6. I had the same question, I never seen the platic ones. Anyone care to share differences?

7. Thanks for the replies! Here in Italy I think it should be sold in plastic dispenser, or at least so many retailers sell them, 'the important' that the quality 'of the blades is good all the same ... someone 'could prove the blades of both packages?

8. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I'm not exactly clear on what this means, but if you are asking if the cardboard packaged blades are fake, I'm going to say not likely. I have been using the same supplier this whole time.

Most likely Astra is trying to increase their profit margin by switching to cardboard. I'd be surprised to see any plastic dispensers again.

9. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I've been visiting a reputable International wholesaler of barber supplies here in Istanbul...And I've seen 1000's of blades there...And everything I've seen from the St. Petersburg Blade plant in Russia has been in the cardboard boxes...The old NOS Perma-Sharp Supers from Turkey are in the plastic boxes, but the ones manurfactured in St. Pete since the P&G take-over are in the card-board boxes...And the blade design between the two has been duplicated with the old integrity kept...and if anything the quality control is probably better in the Russian blades I've been told by Turkish barbers...I don't know and this is a wild guess, using the above example, but could the plastic boxed Astras be NOS blades from when they were made by the Czechs..? I've never seen a plastic boxed Astra...But I've seen crates of the cardboard ones from St. Pete...Or maybe just all the ones they export to Turkey are packaged in cardboard...

10. thanks for the replies! I think maybe to save some 'package has been passed to the board, but' here in Italy, seeing the internet providers, packaging and 'plastic ... Perhaps here and 'so', while in Turkey there asempio 'package in the paper ... The important 'that the product is still good, I meant this ...

11. crosbie

crosbie Member

I too have been using the Astra Plat for a good few years now and AFAIK the packaging has simply changed to cardboard - the blades are exactly the same in my experience..... and I use no other blades.

Hope this helps

12. I tried these blades, plastic container, and I must say I'm good ...

13. Slowhand

Slowhand Member

My ASP's came in cardboard, and I've only seen them in cardboard.