Astra Superiors....Two different blades.

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by rollsshaver, Dec 8, 2008.

1. rollsshaver

rollsshaver Peace be with you

Okay, I have just been researching these Astra Superior blades and have a question. What is the deal with the old superiors vs. the new ones. This is what I mean. Here is a picture of what I believe to be the old Astra Superior blade.....

http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6266&stc=1&d=1228773217

Now this is a picture of the blades that I have......

http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6267&stc=1&d=1228773356

Is the platinum coating a new addition to the blades, or have they always been platinum coated? What else might be different? Or, is it just a simple matter of the writing on the blade being different? What is the deal, people?

Attached Files:

2. riffin

riffin Active Member

I knew of to Astra blades that were in production. The Platinum and the Keramik. The Keramiks were recently discontinued. The Plats are still available. The Keramiks had a ceramic coating. On my face, they were virtually identical to the Plats, maybe ever so slightly smoother. They may have had a longer life, but as rule, I don't use a balde more than twice, so I didn't test that aspect. The stainless one you have (1st image) may be NOS, or one a step below the Platinums, stainless without the platinum edge/coating.

Obviously I'm making an educated (or perhaps not so educated) guess here, so take it for what it worth. ;)

3. dmikel

dmikel New Member

4. Dexterous

Dexterous Member

The Astra Superior Platinum blades are my current favorites. I have around 115 of them in stock and plan on enjoying each and every one of them.

5. rollsshaver

The original question still stands though. What is the difference between the blades shown?

6. Truckman

Truckman New Member

umm...one says "Astra Superior Stainless Steel" and the other says "Astra Superior Platinum" ? :confused:

I would imagine the one is not coated, the other is platinum coated....kinda like the Red Pack Personnas and the Crystals I believe... they're both Israeli Personnas but if I'm not mistaken the Red Packs are uncoated Stainless and the Crystals (aka IPs) are platinum coated...

Honestly though, I have no friggin' idea:D

7. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I use the superior platinums. Theyre sweet.

8. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I would be surprised if that were true, the red pack last longer than Crystals for me. But it is so hard to find any real information on any of the blades.

9. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Crystals last from the time I unwrap them and put the blade in the razor. Once I put it to my face and take the first stroke, into the garbage, and time for a new blade.

10. riffin

riffin Active Member

Boy that must take a long time to shave. Keep the kid out of the den! :happy102

11. riffin

riffin Active Member

Without seeing the wrappers and/or boxes, its hard to tell, but I suspect the first blade is NOS uncoated stainless and the second it a recent platinum coated.

12. Truckman

Truckman New Member

I hadn't thought of coatings as a length of use thing as much as a comfort thing....

But that's what was explained to me on another board when I complained about the Red Packs causing major irritation for me - that they weren't coated and the other blades I listed as OK for me (little or no irritation) were all coated blades. (again, what I was told)

Seemed to make sense to me at the time. Of course I haven't knowingly tried any other non-coated blade to test it out though.... Even Feathers are coated, aren't they?

Heck, maybe it was just a technique thing when I first tried them, or lack there of...I do have one blade left.....hmmmm

13. rollsshaver

Okay, here are the boxes of THREE different Astra Superior types.

The first one is the kind that I have. They are platinum coated and are made in Russia.
    The second one is a plain stainless steel blade that is also made in Russia from the same era.
    The last picture is another plain stainless version that is made in the Czeck Republic. These seem to be old stock.

If anyone has any other information to add, please do so. At least we know now that not all these Astra Superiors are the same.

Attached Files:

14. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

That is very interesting. Are the green box ones the only ones currently being produced, or are any being currently produced?

15. Dexterous

Dexterous Member

I bought a 100 of the green box Astra Super Platinum last month on a group buy. Razorandbrush.com has them on the website. The green box blades are made in Russia.

16. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I have about 98 of the greens still, I was just wondering if they are still produced or if they are old stock.

17. rollsshaver

I know that the platinum blades are the ones you mostly see anymore, but I do believe they still make the blue box too. I wish I would have checked around before I bought my box of 100 though. I paid $20 shipped for them from a guy on B&B. Now I see I could get 1000 of them for $120 shipped from Ebay. Here is the link............. http://cgi.ebay.com/1000-Astra-Supe...ptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

18. rollsshaver

To directly answer your question, Yes, the green box are still being made.

19. MaxP

MaxP Member

I had two left. They went into the trash this morning. They were the green box variety and tore up my face something fierce.

Its back to Feathers for me.