Astra

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by dgcrell, Feb 4, 2009.

1. dgcrell

dgcrell New Member

So I've read that Gillette markets their blades in Russia under the Astra name.

Astra makes a platinum blade. Is it essentially the same as the Gillette Platinums (Swedes)?

If so, seems a lot cheaper to buy the Astras. That's why I'm asking.

2. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

They are deffinetly not the same, but they are good. If you like sweedes you'll probably like them. They can be had for under $20 shipped online. Great buy.

3. Wishoot

Wishoot Member

I've been using Astras for a couple of weeks. I really like them and ordered 100. They may not replace Feathers as my "Go to" blade, but they do the job very well. Certainly better than the Derby's I was using.

4. Dexterous

Dexterous Member

Astra Super Platinum are my favorite blades. I bought 100 a couple of months ago. To my face, they are not much like the Swedes but they are excellent in their own right. I find them to be sharp enough give me a close shave and forgiving enough to leave my face smooth and not irritated. That they are reasonably priced is a big bonus.

Other blades in this league - Red Personna and Lord Super Stainless.

5. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

It has been too long since I have used the Swedes, so I couldn't say. However, the Astra Superior Platinums are my current favorite blade, and have a very nice combination of sharpness and smoothness. And they are also very reasonably priced. You can get them from Gio at Razorandbrush.com, or there are some other places as well. Great blades!

6. Wishoot

Wishoot Member

I almost forgot...

Thanks to Dr. Mike for introducing me to Astras!

7. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Astras are great blades. The only blade I've purchase in "bulk". I found a 100 pack for just under $20 shipped.

8. dgcrell

dgcrell New Member

Hey Dexterous, you go to MSU I assume?

I go there for law school...

9. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

Don't mention it! They are great blades. I am currently trying out the black pack 7 O'clocks. Not bad either, but I think the Astras beat them out in price.

10. Wishoot

Wishoot Member

Go Green Bro!!!

MSU class of 1987.

11. dgcrell

dgcrell New Member

And you live in Milwaukee now huh? Awesome city! I'm moving to Indianapolis after I graduate. But I could easily live in Milwaukee. I love all the little hole in the wall bars. Hell, it seems like each neighborhood has one.

And Mader's! One of the best places to eat in the whole country.

12. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Blades really drive me crazy. Nearly everyone who tries them likes the Astras. I just can't get a great shave out of them. I get one good shave, then one mediocre shave and then they're shot. Why? Makes no sense. Now I'm finding that the 7'o blacks are prob. the blade for me. Of course...one of the most expensive blades to get ahold of. Grrrrr...:mad:

13. Navy Chief

Navy Chief Member

Have you tried the Bic blades? I can get a good shave with them and find them to be very similar to the 7 O'Clock yellows. I am bouncing around between the BIC's and the 7 O'Clock yellow and greens right now and enjoy all of them. But the quest never seems to end...;)

14. rollsshaver

rollsshaver Peace be with you

Shep, just how many ASP's did you try? You may have gotten a bad one.......................

15. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

I got 3 good shaves out of my first black pack 7 O'clock, and then last night I put in a second one, and it tore my face up on one side. I tossed it immediately. Chalking it up to variability in production. I'll try another blade tonight, but I don't seem to get inconsistency with the Astras. They always seem to be nice and sharp and smooth.

16. rollsshaver

rollsshaver Peace be with you

Dr. Mike, corking that blade with a piece of foam and then stropping it would have took care of that, guarantee............

17. Dexterous

Dexterous Member

Went, actually. I'm an old alum, Class of `80.

18. Dexterous

Dexterous Member

That describes my experience with Sharp blades. One shave is OK but I've never been able to get an acceptable second shave with one. I have pushed an Astra to five shaves, actually attempted a sixth but that was a mistake. In general, I will use most blades for 3 shaves only.

19. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I find Astra to be good and more consistent in more razors then Derby, Crystal, or Red Personnas. However, I don't find them stellar in any of my razors. They are good and dependable. From my experience so far, 7 O'Clock and KAI are much better.. and more expensive.

20. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

I have used two Astras so far w/ the same results. I do strop them as well fyi. The yellows and greens really didn't do it for me, and I've never tried a bic but am interested. I've also never tried a true Swede and they interest me as well. I'll spend the money on these blacks for now just because I want a good blade (and it is for me), but if I could save a few pennies next time I'm all for it.