AsylumGuido's Guide to Super Speed Identification

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by AsylumGuido, Nov 26, 2008.

1. profsaffel

profsaffel The a**s go marching one by one

Thanks AS, as always, Dali Lama of the SS's. :happy088

PatrickA51 likes this.
  2. alowishus

alowishus New Member

PatrickA51 likes this.
  3. learjet_mech

learjet_mech New Member

thanks this help id some of my razors

4. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

Wow.

Turns out I've been shaving with a 50's Super Speed this whole time and didn't know it. My wife bought it for me in an antique store in Minnesota while on vacation almost 6 years ago. I had no idea I had been shaving with a piece of history.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  5. PS27

PS27 Member

Thanks for doing this, and for its future progress. I use a '57 Super Speed and hope some time i the future to refurbish/clean up and use my Dad's old razor, what I beleive to be a '40s style Super Speed

PatrickA51 likes this.
  6. ferroburak

ferroburak New Member

That ad tells not to remove the blade seemed interesting to me.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  7. SpiffyChee

SpiffyChee New Member

I have a question about the red tipped super speed. I saw an advertisement for the blade and I noticed that the red blade was marketed for people with coarse beards and the other blades were marketed for people with more sensitive skin and less tough beards.

Obviously a lot of people like the red tipped super speeds and I'm wondering if they are also people with heavy tough beards. I'm considering obtaining a red tipped super speed but wonder if my beard is even tough enough based on the marketing they used to sell the red tipped one to tough skinned tough bearded people.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  8. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Honestly the super speeds are all relatively the same as in a few mm's of blade gap and handle weight, its just comes down to Gillette marketing and personal preference heh.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  9. lycidas

lycidas Member

Great post! This helped me identify my 1958 TV Special.

I also have a 50's style (identified from your photos) that is marked with E2. Is there a way to tell the year that they were made?

Also, where were these razors manufactured at that time? Where was the plant?

Nice stuff.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  10. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Use this page to find out which years date codes and serial numbers match to for Gillette razors and blades.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  11. lycidas

lycidas Member

Perfect. Thank you!

PatrickA51 likes this.
  12. AwNix

AwNix Member

Nice writeup and good info for anyone new to Super Speeds.

I've never owned a Blue Tip (reasons being that they sell for more than $10 usually and I figure they'll be too light) and I've never owned a Black Tip. I've seen Black Tips for $5 BIN and still didn't feel inclined. :) Love to try a Ranger Tech or Senator/Sheraton someday which are sort of similar designs.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  13. Spectro28

Spectro28 New Member

Thanks -- this post helps me establish the history of the fine gift I just got from my in-laws for my recent birthday. Great shaves, this is the razor, I've a C2 date code.

Now I might think of replating it...

Cheers -
    Marc

PatrickA51 likes this.
  14. Chad808

Chad808 New Member

Thanks! A new Super Speed will be next on my list. Now the question is which one first.

15. Syvfjell

Syvfjell New Member

I can't manage to ID and date a razor I found in the family's house. Might come from my Great Grandfather (born 1926) or his father (1901) as well as from my great uncle or my Great-Great Grandfather, though it's less likely; as soldier they probably used old school razors.

Under the top, mechanism opened; it says "patent pending"
    On the bottom, just a Gillette logo and "Made in England"

Not very heavy, feels like aluminium, obviously lost a lot of its shine. Looks like a super speed to me but haven't found any similar picture especially the two rings only on the knob and the gorge or whatever you call it before the slimmer part of the handle.

Thanks in avance for your help :)

PICS here: http://imgur.com/a/92eAi

PatrickA51 likes this.
  16. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

1950 Aristocrat Jr. which has some similarities but is not a member of the SuperSpeed family (US product branding name).

[​IMG]

PatrickA51 likes this.
  17. Syvfjell

Syvfjell New Member

PatrickA51 and GDCarrington like this.
  18. Tishcal

Tishcal New Member

Thought this was a Super Speed - Marked E1 but the open comb design is unlike anything else you have here.

Attached Files:

PatrickA51 likes this.
  19. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

That's an interesting razor Tishcal.
    I've never seen an open comb superspeed like that before.

PatrickA51 and Tishcal like this.
  20. Tishcal

Tishcal New Member

Yeah it has me stumped. I posted it on another thread and had someone else stumped too. He thinks it must be a prototype razor. I found it in Massachusetts (Gillette HQ) so there is a higher likelihood that it could be a prototype. Have no idea what a prototype might be worth but I am excited to find it!

PatrickA51 likes this.