ATG works, but not consecutive days?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Metro, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,
    I've noticed I recently got a few 3-pass BBS shave and I was able to go ATG on the neck without any irritation. In my excitment I've tried to repeat this the following day and got red bumps on the neck. Does anybody have any idea what might be the cause? I'm thinking perhaps my hairs didn't have time to grow long enough and trying to shave it the following day was just overkill. Is anyone experiencing similar issues? I would certainly appreciate your thoughts!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  2. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I've definitely had that issue. I can do that ATG pass on my neck once in a while but I'll start getting red spots on my neck if I do it to much. So most of the time I just go XTG both ways or maybe at an angle not quite directly ATG and that seems to work every day.

3. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

It's ingrown hairs. It's caused by cutting the hair below the surface of the skin and when the hair begins to grow back, it grows back into the skin causing the red bumps. Don't shave ATG everyday or not at all. I get IGH too if I get too aggressive with ATG passes as do many guys.

Metro likes this.
  4. BudWhite

BudWhite Well-Known Member

Me too. Once a week it seems I can get away with it. No more

5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

IMHO, ATG for BBS leads to IGHs, a real PITA, but YMMV. ;)

6. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

OMG...LOL!!!

Bristle Me likes this.
  7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Guess I'm one of the fortunate.
    Three passes (WTG, XTG, ATG) every day for three reason:
    1 - I want to get as close as I can. I chase the baby to a point, but I do know when to quit.
    B - I enjoy extending the length of my shave - if I don't have time for three passes, I don't have time to shave.
    Third - Because I am one of the fortunate who can get away with it and not wind up with irritation.

8. Lutebro

Lutebro Well-Known Member

Couldn't have said it better myself.... Really I couldn't!

9. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

ROFL!

One thing I have to try eventually, is if I go ATG, then will I still get irritation the next day if I don't shave again? It seems it is in fact IGH and even just going ATG one time may cause this problem. We'll see but I suspect I just can't go ATG on the neck. Too back cause I really like the BBS!

Also I forget if I was ever able to get BBS with a Mach 3 without irritation. Maybe it's worth buying a disposable on to see! ;)

10. swarden43

When I first started using a DE (carts always gave me irritation and bumps ATG on my neck) I could not go ATG. I used to make two XTG passes in opposite directions. Once I got my technique perfected, NO PRESSURE, I was able to make those ATG passes.

MACH 3?!?! :scared007:

11. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

:signs011: And especially 'B'....I even like sipping my coffee or tea while shaving...I like practicing razor buffing; both WTG and ATG; slides, J-hooks....This is my time and most of the time I'm having a blast...

If I couldn't go for the whole thing because my set-up was too aggressive ...I'd go for a less aggressive set-up.....I know Schicks, perticularly 'I' types and after, are like ATG buffing machines ha,ha...might be a good way to go for those having a problem with irritation...

12. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Member

3 day shave layovers if you're a bbs person.

Actually tried that few days ago. Not much luck just get cold on me.

13. swarden43

Coffee during the shave is just as important to me as the razor, blade, soap, brush, mug and some tunes!

Bird Lives and Metro like this.
  14. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Spoken like a true 'Brother of the Shave'....
    :happy088::happy088: