ATT Windsor R1: First Shave Assessment

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by herbert7890, Dec 17, 2017.

1. herbert7890

herbert7890 Member

ATT Windsor R1: First Shave Assessment.

Hi all, I just had my first shave with the ATT R1 Windsor. (I have all the regular heads from ATT that are non slant (sold both slants a while ago). That includes M1,M2, R1, R2, H1, H2, SE1 and SE2. My top 3 are the R1, SE2 and R2.

Looks: After being used to all ATTs, this is even better looking with its incredible polished look. I definitely prefer the polished look and wished all my ATTs had this finish.

Windsor Comparison with the regular R1: Right off the bat I felt the Windsor needed a different shave angle than my R1 (the angle on the R1 is second nature to me at this point), probably had to use a little bit more flat of an angle with the Windsor. Feel wise, it seems one of the 2: Either the Windsor is milder than the regular R1, or head geometry provides a smoother shave by itself. I could not feel as much as the blade, as I do with the regular R1. The feel is much much closer to a DE89 or M1 or M2. I will need more shaves to confirm this, but thats how I see it right now. Also, the razor does provide less blade chatter than most DE razors, and its probably between a Single Edge Razor and a DE, blade chatter wise, which I LOVE.

Shave Results. Even on my first go with the ATT Windsor, it provided a very close shave (almost certain it was BBS), no irritation at all, But I have lots of experience with ATT, so that might had come into play with this.

I will say this, if after 10-15 shaves, I can get the same results with the Windsor, as I do with my R1 or R2, it will probably make the regular R's obsolete, since it would mean it will give the same quality of a shave, with around 50% increase in smoothness.

I will do a final review in a month or so, after using it extensively. Would love to hear your opinions on the Windsor as well!

jimjo1031 likes this.