The Stirling Exchange

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PickledNorthern, Nov 5, 2016.

1. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

You jumped out of AAA and into the big leagues now.

ezlovan, Edison Carter and Linuxguile like this.
  2. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Iced Pineapple
    Executive Man
    Mountain Man

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

3. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

There's NO WAY you've got a significant other that shares the same bathroom. "Why do you need THAT MANY soaps clogging up our bathroom?!"

My top 3:
    1 - Executive Man
    2 - Mountain Man
    3 - Christmas Eve

4. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

Vanilla Pipe Smoke sounds like a strong contender. It came and went before I discovered this sport.

Probably another scent that only I would enjoy, but I’m learning that’s OK.

ezlovan and Edison Carter like this.
  5. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

This is one of the lesser things my wife has to put up with, so I’ve got it covered. Besides, the last two things I “collected” were watches and guns. Soaps are so much cheaper by comparison that she doesn’t even pay attention to them.

6. PickledNorthern

That’s super funny. After the gun collection, and the Harley chrome, my wife doesn’t even blink at shaving.

7. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

True Grit

Guns
    Chrome
    Sharps

8. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

That's a very slick way of handling it. Unfortunately I don't have other collections so my wife focuses on my shaving excesses.

9. PickledNorthern

You sir, need to start a diversion collection. It doesn’t even need to be expensive, just abhorrent. That could mean ugly or distasteful, possibly tacky, but maybe all three. Noisy also helps.

Do you have room to start collecting and rebuilding small engines? No? Even better if you have to leave them outside. Several fixer upper, project lawn mowers and boat motors in the front yard will have you well on your way. Don’t have much in the way of mechanic’s tools? Set up a Snap-On account. Chubby 2 Manchurians will sit in your den unnoticed.

Hide tanning is another possibility. Shaving soaps will always smell better than tanning hides, and really good knives are just as expensive as high end razors. And I promise you that once you have fleshed out a couple of road kill hides on the kitchen counter, she will beg you to spend some time at Maggard’s. Plus, this hobby can easily segue into gun collecting, once you point out to her that if you had your own guns, you could go get your own fresh animals, instead of collecting them from the road ditch.

(Now this one might seem like a stretch, but my dad used to tan hides, and actually did the hide of a skunk he hit with my mom’s car when I was a kid, so don’t dismiss it too quickly.)

10. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'd like to give my 3 Stoylin favorites, but I only have one Soap/A.S. combo. The others are what I'd call "Variations On A Theme"-the theme being, of course, Stoylin. Thus, here goes:

1. Sandpiper A.S.
    2. Barbershop Soap
    3. Spice(this is the Soap/A.S. combo).

11. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Would you guys believe I still feel a chill from this morning's shave? That Glacial Spearmint soap, balm, and Arctique are for the record books!

12. BaylorGator

I don’t care what Ghandi thinks. Jarred has laid out the steps of wisdom and enlightenment right there.

13. PickledNorthern

That’s Post-Grad level enabling.

14. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

Thanks guys for helping me out with how to deal with my wife. I sure appreciate it. Have you guys seen the You Tube video that was put out by "Another Cut Above" on shaving with Stirling's Glacial Wintergreen Shave Soap? (I'm generally not a fan of his videos but watched this one because he was using a Stirling Glacial Soap) I laughed all the way through it because of his comments and reactions about how cold the soap was. He said he couldn't even feel the razor on his face. Yet throughout the video he keeps saying how much likes this soap in fact I think he even said it might be his favorite shave soap. Lots of Stirling love in this video. I got a lot of laughs out of it - you might too.

ezlovan, Frijolero, PLAla and 4 others like this.
  15. Paul Turner

I didn't know Doc Ezlovan once had a "Vanilla Pipe Smoke", but some research helped me. The company WET THE FACE offers a Pipe Smoke soap, and vanilla bean is part of the "recipe" for it. As for videos, I'd like to see that Glacial Wintergreen video. For someone to say it might be his favorite shave soap is the perfect antithesis to the guy doing a Williams video and actually saying "I kind of don't like this soap"(or words thereof).

16. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

My collection of vehicles, firearms, and camping/outdoor gear makes my obscene collection of shaving stuff seem very reasonable. And how can anyone argue against hygiene and cleanliness? :D

17. Paul Turner

Avon might catch on to your various items and do a Knapsack Aftershave.

18. BaylorGator

And a Shavey nomination for Best Enabling Move if I’ve ever seen one.

It was one of the LE scents he did for a Dirty South Shavers meetup. He sold a few extras online, and I got one. PIF’d half and kept half. Why? I’m not a soap hoarder, that’s why.

19. Paul Turner

He said it was so cold you get a sensation of "pain".

20. PickledNorthern

Honored. It’s fantastic in a sort of Red Green/Tim Allen way, but difficult to apply in real life. Shavey award material would be more along the line of getting started in penny collecting. Get a kid into it. Then wife approves of all the fun you are having together. Pretty soon your penny collection is filled out except for really rare coins you can’t find or afford, so you move into collecting US minted silver. Wife is getting concerned, but you convince her that these are really an investment, and your daughter is having so much fun with the little cards and books and coin holders, that she is happy. By the time you are collecting individual mint marks of each year’s silver dollars, and starting new albums labeled by regions and eras, your wife is leaving Harley magazine’s around, telling you that you should go to the range more, and saying she hasn’t had fresh fish in ages. By this time she won’t even notice a $175 PayPal to Germany that says Shavemac on it.

I mean, I don’t know this for sure, but I bet it would work.