August 2016 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jul 31, 2016.

?

What's your favorite part of August?

Poll closed Aug 31, 2016.
  1. The blistering smothering heat and humidity.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. The way the blistering smothering heat and humidity make my hair frizz.

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  3. (waiting for cookies)

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Overdosing on Menthol in the blistering smothering heat and humidity.

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  5. The way mosquitoes thrive in the blistering smothering heat and humidity.

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  6. Cookies. On with the program. It's too hot for this nonsense.

12 vote(s)
    48.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

With the scars to prove it. This puppy bit me when I was first learning to use it.

2. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

I have to admit it is the only Chinese DE blade I have used that has actually given me DFS even if for one shave. I guess that does say something about its value. I have several more blades from China that I have never used and may or may not ever decide to use.

I am glad to see your Israeli blade is doing quite well. Sounds like it delivered two very good shaves. Have you used the Red or the lab blues before? If so, how does it compare? Also are you still deciding whether to do the mini-Israeli blade comparison by moving all of them in a row or are you going to leave them all spread out?

3. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Toddlers in the process of being potty trained and a single bathroom in the house can also cause unwelcome, noisy, and sudden interruptions.

4. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

Well I feel better knowing I'm not alone. I was mocked for quite some time taking pictures of my latest brush.

5. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

I figured it out. It was not the bowl. Any recommendations on how to contain the foam to the bowl :)

6. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you guys. I am feeling quite a bit better. I haven't hugged a toilet like that since my college days.

7. RyX

RyX DoH!

My process: I shave at my kitchen sink. It's on an interior wall so I've a mirror mounted there, bathroom vanity style. Put my Suribachi in the sink & run hot water to warm up. If I'm using a boat brush, I let it soak as I'm choosing my soap. Dump water out the bowl, shake water out the brush. Load the brush and go to the bowl. With minimal water added using a combo of swirling and plunging motions I whip up the soap into lather. Keep in mind I'm over my deep double bowled kitchen sink. Sometimes lather might get out my 4-3/4" wide X 2" deep bowl. If so the sink's right there.
    Did that help?

Fumble fingers Via Kyocera / Tapatalk

8. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I have used the Labs before and they are a good blade. I don't think as good as most Russians, but they are definitely a good enough blade to use regularly. For those who might want only a USA made blade they're about the only option so it's good they are a quality blade. I have a 10 pack of the Reds still unopened. It was a gift thrown in on a tryablade order that I will most likely give away, after trying one in the Trials, of course. As far as comparing the Royal to the Lab Blue, memory tells me the Royal probably has it beat.

I'm thinking I'll stick with the Israeli blades as a group. In fact, I've decided to do that. Because I have absolutely no reference point with any of them it might help me rank them among themselves and give me a better idea where they rank overall. So, here is the revised listing, beginning on Thursday:

1. Personna Platinum Chrome (Israeli Red)
    2. Generic Red (Walgreens)
    3. Crystal
    4. Q Ball Platinum Plus
    5. Eddison Stainless
    6. Viking Sword
    7. Tomy Super Stainless

I want to shout out to Jason at tryablade.com, by the way, for providing all of these blades (except the Walgreens) at no cost. He offered me some freebies as a regular and those were included. I already had the Reds as a previous incentive. So, total cost for all of the Israeli section will be less than 4 bucks since I have to buy the Walgreens pack.

9. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

To me the IR blow the lab blue out of the water. Ymmv

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

10. RyX

RyX DoH!

I've used the Generic Red's (Kroger's) before I found the joy that are Russian blades. I was comparing them to Feathers at the time, so the Reds were OK, but (edit) not the best. Cool that you're grouping them to either get it over with, or get a realistic impression.

Fumble fingers Via Kyocera / Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  11. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I've heard others say that as well. I'll be on the Reds Thursday.

12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Next up for tryouts is a TI frame back. I took it to the stones for a touch up to give it's best chance of making the den.

I had to get up earlier than normal so maybe using a straight wasn't the best idea. One nick and one weeper due to a lack of focus. Despite the blood and grogginess I did four passes. The alum gave just a tickle and finished BBS. A's across the board.

Irritation A Closeness A Smoothness A Sharpness A

I wish this razor was heavier but other than that it delivers a nice shave. Not a star but nice. I have another Japanese frame back trying out and I will keep just one. So far the TI is in the lead.

IMG_2920.jpg

mrchick, Drygulch, Linuxguile and 6 others like this.
  13. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

Looking forward to the Israeli comparison. I have a couple of them so will join in as I can.

Jason is a great guy to do business with. Great variety for sampling, quick professional service, good prices. Pretty much everything you want in a vendor.

14. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

The AAA wrap....

[​IMG]

The Gillette 195 shall forever remain in my inventory. It delivers an easy, efficient and nearly foolproof two pass DFS. 2 GSB lasted for over 20 shaves. This very well might be attributed to the technique of riding the cap. Arko never hurt either! SEptember is up next! Other than that...all is quiet in Colorado.

Have a great Wednesday!

mrchick, Drygulch, wmbjr and 7 others like this.
  15. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I couldn't agree more. One of my favorite to deal with. He's good for hunting down info on obscure blades as well. Definitely has FOTC status. (Friend of the Cartel)

Drygulch, wmbjr, RyX and 4 others like this.
  16. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Still on my list of razors to acquire. I keep hoping for a find in the wild but wild razors in these parts seem few and far between. Just hate to pay Ebay prices. on these.

Drygulch, wmbjr, RyX and 3 others like this.
  17. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

It's much like the Slim, but I like the added mass and slightly more aggressive geometry. It's a cap riding masterpiece.

Drygulch, wmbjr, RyX and 5 others like this.
  18. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

19. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

August 31, 2016- Adjustable August

Razor: F2 Gillette FatBoy (5)
    Blade: Astra SP (1)
    Brush: VdH Boar
    Soap: Williams

Today was my first shave with the FatBoy which I received in a very generous (and Karma-straining) trade with @RyX. I have to confess that I've wanted one since first hearing about them almost a year ago. Going into today, I was a little concerned about the differences in weight and geometry from my favorite Adjustable, the Slim. That said, I set it for 5 (same as I do on my Slim), loaded an Astra SP (my goto blade for any new razor) and set out to see how it handles...

First Impression: The FatBoy seems a bit more aggressive on 5 than the Slim does. Looking at the blade, I think there is a little more exposure and a little less bend than the same setting on the Slim. This isn't bad, just slightly surprising as it translates to a bit more blade feel. Needless to say, I rode the cap like any good shaver and got an excellent result. Two pass, DFS, no blood, and no noise from the Alum.

I don't think I'll be going any higher with the settings, for now, though I might back off to 4 for tomorrow's shave.

Bama Samurai, Keithmax, RyX and 8 others like this.
  20. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

August Focus Day 31:

Stirling Synthetic Brush
    Palmolive Classic Shave Stick
    Gem 1912
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Aqua Velva Ice Blue/Musk mix

Last shave of the month, and it was a good one. These single edge razors are definitely good shavers.

I spent this month starting the process of trying to narrow down my collection to a slightly smaller group of razors that I truly enjoy using. As part of this, I chased a few razors I had always wanted to try, so my initial attempts at narrowing down resulted in a larger collection. There is some method to this madness, though, in that my goal remains the same, I just wanted to get a few razors on my list of want to try knocked off so I either keep them or don't want to have them anymore. I am still looking at the end of the year or early next year to make my cuts. I did let loose of one straight, so I made one baby step. I will say, these single edge razors are going to be tough to sort through.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.