August 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jul 31, 2017.

?

Using an adjustable this month? Which one?

1. Gillette Fatboy

15 vote(s)
    34.9%
  2. Gillette Slim

15 vote(s)
    34.9%
  3. Gillette Black Beauty

13 vote(s)
    30.2%
  4. Gillette Toggle

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Gillette Executive

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  6. Merkur Futur

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  7. Merkur Progress

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  8. Russian Ideal or Mladost

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  9. The original adjustable - a straight razor baby!

7 vote(s)
    16.3%
  10. Cookies....just cookies. Seriously, can we just stick with the stupid cookies?!?!?!

17 vote(s)
    39.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Good photo of excellent products Perry.

2. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Great looking picture of a fine razor and brush combination Adam. :happy096:

3. RyX

RyX DoH!

Adjustable August Focus Maintained

Tabac Original Formula
    SP➵2 VS Black badger/ Cypress
    Osaka Suribachi bowl
    '59 E-4 Gillette #195 Fat Boy @7
    Feather Hi-Stainless
    Alum, English Leather/Pinaud S.R.

SOTD 08312017.gif
    Kept my Focus for the month using the Fat Boy, shuffling little used blades. I chose to finish with my blade of choice, but backed it down to level seven. Is Tabac Thursday a Thing? I made it happen with help from brush and bowl received in a trade with Jack @Sparrow. Glad I adjusted the FB down two clicks as I scored three nicks around my chin. Gave a smooth finish on my neck where I've had some irritation lately. Alum was efficent at closing the bloody spots and quiet elsewhere. Mixing half English Leather & Special Reserve (S.E.L.R.?, E.S.R.L...) takes the edge off the Pinaud or bolsters the other. Either way I like the combo. Nice DFS+ and I smell good.
    Headed to my parents house to see how their water is standing. The sun is shining first time in a week and it's dad's birthday. There might be homemade carrot cake!
    Good Shaves Y'all!

4. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

LOVE carrot cake.

5. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Good picture and setup. Be safe! :happy088:

RyX, SharptoothC, Drygulch and 3 others like this.
  6. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I recently picked up a bottle of the new Razorock Barbershop Blue from Italian Barber. $10 for a 100 ml bottle. It's the closest comparison I've found to Floid Blue
    IMG_1774.JPG

7. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thanks for this.

8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Doug.

9. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

+1

RyX, SharptoothC, Drygulch and 2 others like this.
  10. PickledNorthern

[​IMG]

Arko Adjustable August Finale:

-Gillette Black Beauty
    -Vie Long White Horse
    -Arko
    -Stirling Almond Cream AS

A couple of years ago I gave/loaned my birth year Black Beauty to my son to see if he liked it. It seems apparent that he does, because it is his daily driver now, and I don't ever really expect to get it back. And even though I don't use DEs much anymore, I still kinda wanted one, so I've been on the lookout for a solid user grade at a decent price. As luck would have it, I found one, and it was delivered just in time to round out the month. It has a few flea bites, and is faded in a couple spots, so I figure it matches me perfectly.

Despite it being a little drying, Arko is such good soap. I never have a bad shave from it, and despite urinal puck complaints, I still swear by it's smelling like some soap my gramma kept in her laundry room. I like it. And it only cost me six dollars to rathole enough of it to last me a lifetime in case of a societal breakdown.

The little Vie Long maybe doesn't get its fair share of face time, mainly because it's small. 20mm. Not in my regular comfort zone. But it has an awesome bunch of hair in that handle, and it is a joy to use.

Thanks for a good August, and see you in September.

mrchick, RyX, SharptoothC and 9 others like this.
  11. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great lineup and photo.

12. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Very nice setup and picture.

13. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Hi Paul. It's hard to beat a mountain scene. :) I hope you are doing well!

14. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

OK Charlie-struggling with my Mom's death, so things keep me and my sister busy, but it's helped to be here with my friends at TSD.

wristwatchb, mrchick, RyX and 7 others like this.
  15. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Razor: Blackbird/Delta Razor Works/Blue
    Blade: Feather (6)
    Brush: El Druida Barberpole w/Manchurian
    Soap: Reef Point Soaps Tranquility
    A/S: Floid Blue
    Bowl: Symmetrical Dottie Shaving Bowl Blue & Lt. Purple

Another BBS shave tonight. It's been an excellent month using my new DE razors. Receiving my Blackland, which is now named, "Bluebird" was the icing on the cake.
    31 08 17.jpg

For SEptember I will focus on the below SE razors and Feather and Gem blades. I have other SE blades, however, they just don't do the job. I will also focus on Old Spice Decanters and aftershave. Here is the razor line up. Good luck to all and thank you for all your posts in August.

31 08 17a.jpg

Paul Turner, mrchick, RyX and 10 others like this.
  16. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

Well...I definitely didn't follow a rule or stay focused this month, despite my desire to do so. I had planned on sticking with just my adjustables. For whatever reason, my technique took a sharp dive and it was "weeper city" for a little while. I decided to take a step back (not as far back as using cartridges though!). I broke out my little travel Gillette Tech for a few days, then a 1976 Super Speed. I wanted something lightweight to get reacquainted with face-feel of using no pressure (if that makes any sense). With razors that light, if you feel any pressure, you know that you're doing it yourself. Also, it helped avoid the temptation of changing the settings. Keep everything straight forward. While I still got the occasional weeper, things got much better. I've been able to get very good shaves, no irritation, and even my trouble spots have been, well, less troublesome!

It's been a good month here in the 30 Day group! It's tough to keep up with all the posts, cuz you're a gabby bunch! ;) But, I truly enjoy seeing all the gear photos, the tips, and shenanigans! Looking forward to SEptember!

mrchick, RyX, entropy1049 and 9 others like this.
  17. PickledNorthern

Glad to see you are sticking around for another go.

18. PickledNorthern

Nice picture, Doug. Are you out measuring the woodpile to see if you have enough put up?

19. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Beautiful photos again, Doug! More Floid Blue pics? Now you're just rubbing it in...;)

20. PickledNorthern

I'm very sorry about the loss of your Mom, Paul. Hang tough, we're all here for you.

RyX, SharptoothC, Drygulch and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.