August 30 Day Rule/Focus Pic & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Jul 31, 2015.

?

Did you participate in "No Buy July"?

Poll closed Aug 28, 2015.
  1. Yes, completed it!

32.6%
  2. Yes, but fell off the wagon. :-(

15.2%
  3. No

32.6%
  4. What is No Buy July?

6.5%
  5. I am just here for the cookies.

13.0%
  1. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Thanks for the kind words! :)

2. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Yeah you sound like a diehard fan:)
    Anyway, I'm happy that SJ has a great curling team now. Go CyberCats!

3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

The only reason I knew was because I get up early and watch the news. Not like some who sleep in on Sunday's...;):taunt002:

4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Pfft... I was up at 6:30am today....now yesterday on the other hand... ;)

5. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Razor: Gillette Slim (1965)(7)
    Blade: Gillette Platinum (7)
    Brush: Whipped Dog Silver Tip Badger, Olivewood Handle (24/67)
    Soap: The Shave Den Coconut
    A/S: The Shave Den Coconut
    Day 30
    Adjustable August: The three razors I used this month are, Gillette Executive Gold Fat Boy (F1- 1960), Gillette Adjustable Fat Boy (G3-1961), and Gillette Slim (Adjustable (K4-1965). I used the Gillette Platinum Blade throughout August. I found that for me #7 setting was the best for all three razors. I liked the Gillette FB best followed by the Gillette Executive, and Gillette Slim. The main different for me was the feel of the handle. The FB's just felt better in my handle and I suppose made me more confident in my shaves. TSD Coconut is an excellent shaving soap and the container is one of the few that leaves enough room from the top of the soap to the top of the container to allow you to whip up a great lathe without having it all over the counter top. I also dabbled a bit with shave creams and learned that I like them also.:)
    8 30 15.jpg

6. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Nice summary, Doug. Another vote for the # 7 setting! I have some TSD soap on order, and I look forward to trying it. Have a great week!

7. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thanks, I'm sure you'll like TSD soap. You have a good week also.

8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Day 29 - 30 August 2015

30 Day Rule - Phoenix OC

Inaugural Shave Den Sunday!

image.jpg
    Best shave this month! Broke out some preshave balm to get the freeze going, Alum was good, finished with some TSD 2x Iced FW Style AS. Another hot Sunday on the prairie. Other than that...all is quiet in Colorado.
    Have a sterling Monday!
    :)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  9. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

August 31 Shave 20

Last shave of the August focus. I have a big 'social' engagement tonight so I will need to shave again before I go out so I did just 3 passes with the straight and called it quits. Everything went smoothly, just one tiny weeper under my chin. Apply the alum and success no irritation.... but just short of DFS. So I know what my focus needs to be next month.

Proraso Pre Shave
    Santa Maria Novela shaving cream
    Simpson Duke 3 in best
    PRC Western grind 6/8
    PRC strop
    Alum block to keep my fingers dry
    Spieck AS
    Muehle ASB
    Amouage Jubilation XXV

10. Bill_F

Bill_F Well-Known Member

1959 E3 Gillette Fat Boy on 6
    Vulfix Super Badger (660)
    Georgetown G12 Scuttle
    Noxzema
    Proraso Sandalwood cream
    Pinaud Clubman

Shave #2 with the Shark Super Chrome stainless steel in my '59 Fat Boy set to 6. Paid attention to the angle and once again tried to ride the edge of the cap.
    2 Full passes: Pass 1 WTG on my face and XTG on my neck. Pass 2: ATG. Comfortable shave. A DFS at this point. After my two passes, I did two cold water rinse and touch ups. This is the only blade I've done that with, but even after I rinsed following my second touch up, I still felt some slight stubble in a couple of my trouble spots. I applied the Pinaud Clubman. It yelled briefly at me, then went silent.

Another smooth and comfortable shave from the Shark Super Chrome. Even though I did two targeted touch ups, I just couldn't get a couple of my trouble spots. Near BBS, but not quite what some of my other blades have been able to achieve.

This is the last shave of my August Focus. This month I have been exploring various blades to try to find the ones that work well in the razors I have and more importantly, give me consistently close and comfortable shaves in each of them.

I started out August by wrapping up July blade trials in my Super Speed. On August 10, I switched gears and embraced Adjustable August with my Fat Boy. I started with a setting of 4, but a week later pushed it to 6 where it has remained. The Fat Boy has seen 8 blades this month. I will run one more blade through it as part of my September blade focus which will incorporate 4 days with the Fat Boy and 24 days with my Gillette Techs.

Of the blades I’ve tried, these are the ones that I will be running through the Gillette Techs:
    Astra Superior Platinum
    Rapira Swedish Supersteel
    Gillette Silver Blue
    Personna Platinum (Israeli Reds)
    Gillette 7 O’clock Super Platinum (Black)
    Lord Platinum class
    And one other I will decide on later.

It has been a real pleasure hanging out with you guys and talking shaving and sharing in shenanigans! I have learned a lot from your excellent posts and those of many others in our friendly TSD community. I Hope you will join me for the September rule/focus, and we’ll see each other on the other side soon!
    :happy005:

11. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

30 day Focus - Day 30
    MDC Lavender Face Lathered
    Voskhod Blade (Day 2 on blade, Day 6 on Voskhod)
    Slim Adjustable set to 8
    3 passes

I just finished back-to-back 30 days using MDC while face lathering. Did I learn anything? Absolutely! I learned that I was overloading my brush with soap to a ridiculous amount. Even after I cut down on the amount I was loading my brush, I could always get at least 5 passes out of it. I learned the proper way for me to add water during the lather, and I became much more comfortable with the Slim Adjustable, adjusting the blade gap from 6 to 8 and consistently obtaining better shaves as I went along.
    I figured out my rating of Russian blades, which is:
    1st Place: Ladas
    2nd Place: Voskhod
    3rd Place: Rapira Swedish Supersteel
    4th & 5th Place (tie): Rapira Platinum Lux & Rapira Stainless Chrome
    6th Place: Sputnik

I also did a fairly good test on how long Martin de Candre will last. In the first 30 day I did use some of my unscented MDC a couple of times, so it wasn't quite 60 days of use. But, I have also had this jar for at least a couple of months. By my calculation, I have used this jar a minimum of 100 times. Following is a picture of the jar with a penny standing straight up and pressed down until it was even with the top of the jar. MDC comes packed with the soap right to the top of the jar. At this usage rate, I figure that MDC gets pretty darn inexpensive. I am convinced that a jar will last at least a year and a half, and probably 2 years of daily use.

mdc after 60+ days.jpg

This was a lot of fun.

wristwatchb, Bill_F, Rufus T. and 5 others like this.
  12. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

image.jpg

Phoenix Comparison Focus Day 30:

Homemade PS Oil
    Stirling Synthetic Brush
    Stirling Glacial Spearmint
    Phoenix Dbl OC
    Osage Rub
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Aqua Velva AS

Last shave before SEptember, and it was a great one. DFS+ and bone chilling cold. I meant to post a summary yesterday, but I got called into work. I'll try to get something posted later today.

wristwatchb, Bill_F, Rufus T. and 4 others like this.
  13. RaZorBurn123

SOTD
    August 31, 2015
    Prep: Hot Shower. Axe Energizing Face Wash Boost
    Razor: Mongoose B3 Dr. Bomber Handle
    Blade: Kia Captain Titan Mild (5)
    Brush: Omega 10098
    Lather: Mike's Natural Barber Shop
    Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
    Fantastic shave. This Omega 10098 is actually a pretty darn good brush, I did lose two hairs but that's expected. Mike's is so good! Slick as ice. I'm loving the Mongoose more everyday if that's possible. Clubman. Do you have a bottle? If not? You're missing out on an old school classic.

Smell good. Look good. Feel good. Wet shaving.
    image.jpg

wristwatchb, Bill_F, Rufus T. and 4 others like this.
  14. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Yep, the old type doesn't leave much room for error. The window to find the perfect angle is very small.

wristwatchb, Bill_F, Rufus T. and 5 others like this.
  15. RaZorBurn123

12 day summary of using the Mongoose B3.
    • Mongoose has set the Gold standard in quality.
    • Perfect feel and balance in my hand.
    • I've used three different blades all on the mild side and have been rewarded kindly.
    • It doesn't clog! Finding the sweet spot comes naturally.
    • The large head could be an issue with shaving under nose.
    • Wide range of blade selection from mild to aggressive. .10 cents per shave average.
    • Blade covers most of head makes it easy for shaping goatee/beard.

wristwatchb, Bill_F, Rufus T. and 3 others like this.
  16. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Well, I never thought I could stick to one thing for 31 days, as I have always subscribed to the random shaving plan. What a pleasant surprise this was.

"What razor should I try today?

What blade haven’t I tried yet?

Oops, how many days do I have on this blade?

Oh, look a new bright shiny object!"

You get the picture. I had the focus of @Darkbulb in a cookie factory and was not learning much about how to improve my shaves. I am not sure what finally prompted me to peek in on you guys at the end of July, but I was intrigued by what I saw. I decided I could do this and chose doing a blade focus so I could learn how several of my razors worked using a consistent blade. Before this focus, I believed that the Feather was the blade for me, so I chose that blade.

I learned several things this month.

1.) I like the Feather the most after day one. It tends to be a little rough the first day but is great on days two and three. I actually went as long as five days before I decided it was starting to degrade.

2.) Not all razors are created equal. Two of my favorite razors are my Mulcuto slant cap and my Grand Shave King. I found that the Feather is not my favorite blade in these razors. I prefer the GSB or Nacet Stainless in them.

3.) When using a very sharp blade, NO PRESSURE and take my time! This focus definitely helped me with my technique. I had many weepers at the beginning of the month and almost none at the end.

4.) The input and advice of my TSD Brothers is very important in helping me learn proper technique.

Thank you @GDCarrington for setting up the guidelines for the 30 Rule/Focus and to @Bama Samurai for setting up the monthly threads. I thank the rest of your for your participation and great input. It was a pleasure getting to know you guys!

Final August SOTD

Menthol Monday

Schick Krona

Feather (5) Still serviceable but time to go.

Proraso Pre-Shave Balm

Proraso Green Cream

Witch Hazel

Nancy Boy AS Balm

Pinaud Clubman AS

On to SEptember!

17. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

This past month has been pretty interesting. I used the Phoenix more than any other razor, but I put it up against 4 of my 5 other DE, some of which I hadn't used in a long time. It was fun to pull those out and give them some shave time. I was also interested in what I found as I used them.

The first razor I pulled out was my '48 Gillette Milord. This was a sentimental razor for me in that it was the first razor my family gave to me. I really wanted this razor to do well in this little comparison. Unfortunately, it was not my favorite. It provided nice shaves with at least a CCS or DFS result, but it also caused some irritation on each of the 4 days I used it. The irritation wasn't horrible, but it lasted several hours, and when I was outside in the SE Texas heat and humidity, a little sweat really agitated it (even several hours later in one case). One of the areas I noticed a big difference was the audible feed back between this razor and my Phoenix. The pitch of this was a bit higher with the Milord than with the Phoenix.

The next razor up was the '58 TV Special. Of all the razors I would have almost preferred to lose in a comparison, this would have been it, primarily because it didn't have any sentimental value, and I was thinking of trading it for something else. But, this razor performed well, as always. It was smooth and provided nice CCS to DFS results. I had little to no irritation each time I used it. The feel is also so natural to me. The balance is nice with sufficient weight to make shaving fairly effortless. I really enjoyed this razor. The audible feed back was a slightly higher pitch than the Phoenix, similar to what I found with the Milord. All in all, I had a great 4 days of shaving when using this razor.

I then put the Fatboy up against the Phoenix. This was by far the most interesting of all of the comparisons. Up this this point, all the razors had been fairly mild and smooth. After a month's focus on the FB, I had found that I liked it set on 7 (seems to be a bit of a theme on this thread), so I kept it here this entire time. At this setting, the FB is more aggressive than the other razors, at least in my opinion, and I could really tell. It was the first time I had really noticed this. I always got a nice CCS or DFS out of it, and never any irritation, but it also just felt more aggressive. I would say it was like comparing a cruising sedan to a sports car. The Phoenix would be like the sedan rolling down the highway almost effortlessly, not feeling a bump in the road, and almost lulling you to sleep. The FB on the other hand would be a bit like a sports car: you can feel the bumps in the road, but you can also feel there is more there and it just wants to go. There is also a bit of the feeling that it could break loose on you, but it never really does. In some ways, I would say the FB is more fun to shave with, in that you do seem to get just more feedback from it.

The last razor was a Gillette Ball End Tech. This razor was actually similar to the TV Special. It was fairly automatic and easy going. I like the weight and balance of the TV Special better, but I realize I need to make more room in the rotation for the lowly Ball End Tech, as it really is a nice shaver. The thin head of the three piece is also nice, as it is a little easier to get into places such as just under the nose.

So all of these razors up against the Phoenix. The Phoenix is a great shaver in my opinion. I love the head design, as I get smooth, irritation free shaves. I will say I have changed the handle on it, as I felt the original handle a little light. I had a RazoRock Mission that I have since given to my son, and I took that handle and swapped with the Phoenix handle. This has made the Phoenix a better overall razor in that it added some weight and made the balance a little more to my liking. With that, I can pull this razor out and just glide through a shave. Once I got used to the streaks of lather left after I pass, I got to where I appreciated them. It allows for a little buffing without fear of retribution. This is definitely a mild shaver, but at the same time, it is efficient, resulting in CCS to DFS without much work. To anybody looking for an intro into OC razors, I would gladly recommend this one.

Which razor was the best? Well, I am honestly not sure. I can tell you that I preferred the Milord the least (sadly). I would actually probably say that I liked Fatboy the most, closely followed by the Phoenix and TV Special. I do think the FB is just more fun to use, although I do feel that it warrants a bit more attention than the Phoenix. This could easily turn into a weekend (fun) vs weekday (not always fully awake) type of thing for me when deciding what razor to use in the future. I also will make sure to work in the Ball End Tech, as it really does work well, too, and has been neglected in my Den too long.

Now on to SEptember, which I have a sneaking suspicion will just complicate my rotation up further. This has been a fun month, and I have greatly enjoyed reading all the posts and shenanigans on this thread.

18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

@Norcalnewb Great summary of the month. Thanks for taking the time to post such a detailed recap.

19. Bama Samurai

I have read your posts long enough to know you don't throw this kind of praise around freely. I may have to look into this Mongoose thing next year!

20. Bama Samurai

So glad you were a part of August! Also glad you benefitted from taking a step back from random and taking a more methodical approach. I feel like the guys who do these rules probably learn the razors better and faster than any other way! 30 Day exercises are a great way to avoid sentencing yourself to a never ending rotation of mediocre results from premium gear. See you on the September side of things!