Avon aftershave

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by gregkw1, Mar 14, 2016.

1. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

My dad's aunt sold Avon in the 60's and 70's, and her Christmas and birthday presents to my dad was always a bottle of aftershave in one of the many shapes offered. He kept them all on a shelf in his bedroom, and I decided to borrow some one morning before school. Long story short, the shelf collapsed, some bottles broke, and I still get queasy when I think of Avon...

2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Blend Seven and Island Lime both on Ebay, even in original decanters.

gorgo2 likes this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I hadn't looked for Blend 7 on EBay, for a while. It was scarce when I looked. I guess I will look again. What is the Blend 7 similar too?

4. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

I'm not a great at picking out notes, but here's my take on Blend 7. It's in the same general profile as brut, without the top sweet note. It's also has very little to no powdery scent, unlike the other Avon scents I have sampled. I's just kind of "round" and pleasant to me.

gorgo2 and DaltonGang like this.
  5. DaltonGang

Thanks for the answer. I will probably order some for myself, just for fun, as long as the price is right. .

6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

It's not one i came by often in the wild, back when I hunted Avon.

If you ever see Blue Blazer, it is highly recommended.

7. DaltonGang

I just ordered some Blend 7, just to see what it's all about. $4 + $4 shipping. 5.5 oz in a red Stutz Bearcat car.

gorgo2 likes this.
  8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

If I recall correctly, that's the only bottle I've ever seen it in.

9. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

My Blend 7 is in the quail decanter. I've seen it in the Revolutionary War cannon decanter as well.

gorgo2 likes this.
  10. DaltonGang

I saw it on EBay, in several different bottles, but the Stutz had the most ounces for the price. I'm not in it for the bottles, just what's in them.
    After a while I'm going to need to decide whether to store the empties somewhere, or to just toss them.

11. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I just got a bottle of Avon Leather, and I have to say I am really impressed. It is leather in a bottle. I may look for some Spicy, too.

gorgo2 and barbersurgeon like this.
  12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

@SuperChris @barbersurgeon

Somewhere yesterday had one of the very dark gray roadsters full of Blend 7. Sampled it and thought hard as I walked around the mall.

Agree with Barber. It's a little out of Avon's ordinary...best I can come up with is a straight, simple barbershop frag, not sweet, with relatively low/no powder that ends up as that same mild musk as some Avons do. Okay but not great. $5 was a good price but I passed on it.

If it was Blue Blazer (rare because it's mid '60s at latest) I'd have snagged it. That stuff is good and different but you just don't see it much.

RyX likes this.
  13. DaltonGang

I bought some Blend 7, and mehhhh. Avon Spicy for me, all the way.

14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I dig, meh is right. If memory serves Blend 7 was relatively early compared to the more common ones we talk about. Even though they were copies of some name brand or other, they were all better in my opinion. Its possible 7 was tweaked and renamed Light Musk.

I'm wearing Stanley's Islander at the moment. It's pretty simple but has a rich, deep, almost spice/floral note that is driving me nuts because I can't place it. Interesting stuff.

DaltonGang and RyX like this.
  15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Excalibur is a clone of English Leather. Never figured that out before this morning but now the name makes sense as another of Avon's not so subtle clue names (Windjammer = Canoe, Tai Winds = Jade East, etc).

RyX likes this.
  16. RyX

RyX DoH!

Oh, I didn't know this one! I use Canoe AS & EDT, and just got my first jug of Clubman AS couple days ago. Avon's Windjammer is now on my to-be-sniffed list.

17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I have some now and it isn't bad. I don't wear it too often. I'm just not that big of a fan of it but it's decent. Probably the most straight-up barbershop scent of everything Avon did. It is one of the more common ones to find around.

RyX likes this.
  18. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

Here is my take on a few of the avon products.
    Blend 7 is pretty close to British Sterling.Good longevity,good projection.
    Windjammer is a lighter Canoe with a licorice back note medium longevity.medium projection.
    Everest has mint and green grassy notes.Nice with good longevity and mild projection.
    Leather...awesome.Good longevity an mild projection.
    Wild Country wood and spice(but not the usual spice complement) that has a light powder backnote.Good projection and exceptional longevity.
    Spicy very nice,better than current Old Spice.

barbersurgeon, gorgo2 and RyX like this.
  19. RyX

RyX DoH!

Based on your impressions @urrlord I'll be watching for Everest & Spicy. Thank you for the review.
    Have you experienced Bravo or Oland?
    Bravo AS has much the same notes to me as a sample of Tabac stick soap.
    I've read Oland compares to Old Spice Burley, a leather and spice scent.

gorgo2 likes this.
  20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I would agree with all of that. Never made the connection with British Sterling because I'm not familiar at all with it.

What do you make of Deep Woods?

RyX likes this.