Back of Neck Shaving

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Weishi Warrior, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Weishi Warrior

Weishi Warrior Well-Known Member

I have always shaved the back of my neck (nape), in between haircuts. Because of hard to reach areas I have generally used plastice single blade razors. Has anyone used the DE for this, and what recommendations can you make?

2. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

Yes, I shave my neck with a DE once a week. Not sure if I can offer any simple solution, though. I just reach back there, usually starting at the side where I can just see what I'm doing and work my way to the back. Pretty much go by feel as far as angle goes. And the same rule applies, no pressure. Hope this helps.

3. Luziana_Geezer

Luziana_Geezer Active Member

Not sure I'd want to try this with my Merkur, but I have been trimming the back of my neck with my cartridge razors for years.

4. ek.310

ek.310 New Member

I shave the back of my neck when I shave my own hair on a#2 electric trimmer setting..then remove the head to trim my neck closer

5. Dewaine

Dewaine Well-Known Member

Place your left palm on the back of your neck, with your thumb extended and your index finger covering your hair to the point you want to shave, then shave, with your right hand holding the razor, that area just below your index finger. Repeat on the other side, switching hands. Practice makes permanent. I do this every shave with a Merkur 38C.

6. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

This is where having a wonderful cooperative wife comes in. I put a bit of my last-pass shave oil on the nape of my neck and hand her whatever razor I used that day and she shaves away.

Now if didn't have her to do it I can go to my barber and he will clip off and trim the hair from the ears and nose. No charge.

7. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

Exactly what I do about twice a week.

8. APC

APC Member

This is about what I do, but I grip the razor just under the head for control.

9. Weishi Warrior

Weishi Warrior Well-Known Member

These were really great suggestions! Thanks for the help.

10. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

As I posted on another thread for body shaving - the Feather Nape razor was designed for this :D.

11. RnR

RnR Member

This is the only reason I figure the disposables were ever made for and presently use a cheapo Noxzema design (or lookalike) with a handle that has an open back. This enables me to place the thumb across the back side of it yielding a very flat, positive grip.

I also use a product called the Hairline which goes over the ears and then back down over the desired hairline on the neck. Once configured properly, it keeps the hair nice and square while you are clearing the back 40 (American phrase).

All done during the shower, using a Soap Company shampoo/conditioner bar as the lube.

12. Invest in a wife. Costs a lot, but a good one is worth it.:D

13. gman41

gman41 Member

Barber is cheaper

Even at 15 a week in barber fees he's a whole lot cheaper than the wife. Plus you only have to see him for 20 minutres a week.

14. aaron abram

aaron abram Member

:happy102

15. You could shave the nape area while in the shower. I currently use a Feather Portable (always ready in the shower), and shave in a south to north stroke... one pass. I can usually get BBS in four strokes. I do have a shave mirror in the shower, just in case I need to see, but I've been shaving my nape for so long in the shower now, I just know how that feels without having to peer into a mirror.

- Troy
    The Groom Room
    Men's Grooming Center & Salon

16. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Yes, but a barber doesn't provide certain other services, at least as far as I'm aware. A good wife is certainly worth the investment.

More on subject, I shave my neck almost every day. It's not a big deal since I'm already shaving my head:D.

17. woodturner

woodturner Member

I usually use my cartridge razor and 2 mirrors to do the back of my neck. Something about allowing the wife and a sharp instrument near my jugular just worries me a little! :happy102:happy102