Barbasol Brotherhood

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Bama Samurai, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

OK....now here's today's conundrum..... I pulled that can of ....boy I hate to say it!.....G:!!@77@ Foamy Menthol out of the trash to give it a full shave test.

Actually....after I got used to the unpleasent smell, I got into the full menthol experience. And I got an almost BBS....
    But afterwards as I reclined in my favorite chair and touched my skin.....hmm, everything seemed a little dry....
    Not like yesterday's Barbasol Shave where I was amazed all day at how smooth and soft my skin felt...

Sooo, I went back upstairs and relathered with Barbasol Sensitive Skin Formular and let it sit for maybe 3 minutes. I took my wet hands and rerubbed it all around, to add a little moisture. I did one more ATG pass with my Schick F-type, rinse with cold water and splashed with Skin Bracer..

Well, this time I found the Baby! And now while I'm typing this, and can rub my chin and feel that smooth, soft Skin like yesterday...I really do like this.

And now, the conundrum:
    1. Is it the Aloe in the Sensitive Skin formula that is making my skin feel this way?....or is it just from using Barbasol?
    2. If it is the Aloe...does the Aloe Green Can have more aloe giving a more moisturised feel...or the same?
    3. Or would even the Original Formula give me this same feeling...?

What do you guys think? Tomorrow I will probably do a full Artic Chill shave to see how that one comes off...
    I do not have Sensitive Skin...but this Slick, Smooth feeling my skin has now is GREAT...I'm hoping I will get that with all Barbasol flavours....I mean, I can get this type of thing happening with one of my favorite moisturisers...But it's just really Cool to get it from my CANNED GOO...:happy108:

OPINIONS?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  2. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I just can't put stuff like that on my face - no way!

3. Bird Lives

Wow! Three days in a row Barbasol! I can't believe it! I hear ya Jeff, and I'm with ya!
    I have always been pretty outspoken about my love for a brush and soap...Aswell as my contempt for canned goo!

But I just got my third excellent shave in a row with Barbasol! I can't deny the facts...I except full responsibility for my actions...

Tonight I did a full Artic Chill Shave...Enjoyed every minute...and although the Menthol Affect is moderate it also builds. So as you are shaving it gets stronger and each pass is stronger than the last.
    After three passes I had an excellent DFS...I went downstairs and relaxed, waited a few minutes and then rubbed my face to check....Hmmm, feel great...but....there was a but....maybe 3 days in a row was starting to irritate, just a tad..

Soo, to further check these results...I went back upstairs and relathered with the Orange can Sensitive Skin formula..
    Left it on my face 2 minutes and shave one ATG pass to quickly remove it....BAM...there was that slick skin feel again.

It was there before...but stronger now...like the past two days....I'm thinking that the aloe and tree bark and stuff does add a little extra moisturizing....Could just be in my mind....But I like it!

Problem is....now I've got to order the yellow lanolin formula from Walgreens...it gets super reviews for it's skin conditioning...

Now I need you guys help....Does the Aloe formula leave your skin more moisturised than the Sensitive skin or the same? If I could get away with just ordering the Yellow can, that would be cool....Who am I kidding? I can see now, I'm going to end up with all of them.....:happy102:

4. Bird Lives

Uh Oh.....I see Walgreens can order the Purple Extra Moisturizing formula....I checked the ingredients...that one has Lanolin AND Aloe, plus Vit E....Sounds like a plan.....Walgreens gets this stuff in, in like 3 days...So I guess I'll know something concret about the purple can this week....

Any Purple can, Extra Moisturising comparitive reviews on here?

Ijustmissedthe50s, AGHisBBS and ilts like this.
  5. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

I Can't Comment On The Purple Can But I Can Say Of The Three I Use (Original, Pacific Rush And Soothing Aloe) They All Give Me Great Shaves And Leave My Face Feeling Smooth.

6. Bird Lives

OK....Now I think I am ready to publish my impressions of Barbasol....I should have waited til I had tried several and then compared to a great cream...& soap....and then instead of filling these pages with questions and speculations I could have maybe made an informed opinion...

Anyway, I've tried a few flavours aswell as the Foamy Menthol...You can see my initial reactions to these...And I also tried some C.O.Bigelow tubed menthol yesterday, aswell as a cake of soap where I combined equal parts Arko and Williams, and this one provides fantastic uber type lather...

Yesterday I got the thickest brush & cream lather that I've whipped up on my face in years, with the COB...I did 3 passes and then squeezed the remaining lather out of the brush to rub onto my face with my fingers for a little clean up buffing here and there, and here and there...and maybe got a little OCD with it as I was having a good time. I did get a Guiness Book BBS, but after about an hour passed, I passed a mirror and realized I had the best case of razor burn since the first time I discovered the #9 setting on my Gillette Slim almost 10 years ago...lol!

I applied various balms, but I was rockin a decent burn and as night fall approached every place on my face was even sore to the touch...ouch! My biggest concern was...oh no! I won't be able to shave for days!!!

Well today the redness was practically gone and a thick coat of whiskers was starting to make the scene and I have a very important concert tonight with a great Jazz Trio....soooo

I did a hot shower prep...Simply applied a layer of Barbasol Artic Chill and used my 1952 Steel Handle Black Tipped Super Speed armed with a Perma Sharp Super...Did one light handed WTG pass...cold water rinse, relathered and one ATG pass...cold water rinse...

hmmm still need another pass....so relathered...oh yeah, by now this Artic Chill has my face very cold! This, if used correctly will give you; inspite of the bad press; an excellent menthol fix non the less! At this time I switched to my Schick F-type, the bases are loaded and I have one pass to try and clean the bases...

"CRACK!!!-looks like it's going out of the park!"
    Followed by a generous splash of Skin Bracer and I'm now rocking a GREAT shave and a Solid Menthol Buzz!!!

Man...I love my creams and soaps...I also love my brushes and the process of using them...But when given a little thought and using good technique....I have to say...Barbasol will give as good a shave as any! And it doesn't matter which formula you choose. Pick the one that you like the scent or, like today, I simply wanted that menthol lift...Each one does bring its own vibe to the table...The Original has that Classic Barbershop vibe...But they all share that Rich, Protective Cream, and leave your skin feeling moisturized and great!

I know today, I was faced with not shaving because of over shaving yesterday...a very real situation...and Barbasol performed admirably...

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  7. Bird Lives

image.jpg Today's Arsenal:

8. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

It did for Babe Ruth and Knute Rockne too, who endorsed it(the regular).

Ijustmissedthe50s and ilts like this.
  9. Bird Lives

Today's is even better than yesterday's.....I could get addicted to this Artic Chill Experience...The Skin Bracer is slipping into First Place and I'm already addicted to this New Improved Schick Injector!
    image.jpg

10. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

Saturday's Barbasol Shave 0 DSCF1741.JPG 9/30/17

11. Bird Lives

Today I got a great Three Pass DFS with my C.O.Bigelow tube cream....And the oils in that cream leave my face SOOO SOFT!
    But here is the thing....I did a clean up pass with the Artic Chill Barbasol....

No.1: That one clean up pass gave me a better Menthol fix than those three passes with the New Proraso Green Menthol Formula that is in C.O.Bigelow.....just sayin'...

No.2: And I needed that barbasol clean up to find the Baby....:happy108:

Cc: @Bama Samurai

12. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

That's really great! I am not on a mission to undo artisan soap popularity... But guys should approach Barbasol with an open mind. So cool.

13. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

Yeah What He Said!!:happy088:

Paul Turner and Bama Samurai like this.
  14. Bird Lives

I hear yah.....and I'm with you 102%....actually, I didn't approach it with an open mind....I was prejudiced against it...But one cannot argue with such great results. But I do still love my soaps and hold the time I spend with brush in hand, in very high esteem!

ilts likes this.
  15. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

While I haven't used my canned Barbasol in a while, Barbasol aftershaves have been my faves of late. Brisk and Pacific Rush are both fantastic.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ilts likes this.
  16. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

SOTD 10.3.2017

Pre-shave: Worked up a good sweat mowing the lawn, walking the dogs and then a hot shower
    Shave cream: Barbasol Soothing Aloe
    Brush: VDH Badger
    Razor: Merkur 1904 OC
    Blade: Wilkinson Sword (2)
    Post-shave: Dickinson WH, Gillette AS Gel, Gillette Cool Wave AS Splash

After getting some chores done I rewarded myself with a quick, but pleasant shave. Thanks to those in the Barbasol Brotherhood for introducing me to whipping up the canned cream into a nice, slick lather with a brush. The Soothing Aloe is one I've had for.... I don't know when I bought it, but I know it was before I started my venture into wet-shaving. It had been collecting dust in the back of the cabinet for a long time, then I read the posts in the Barbasol Brotherhood. I certainly have not given up on the soap pucks and shaving creams, but I'm keeping an open mind.

Anyway, great shave! I achieved a near BBS, and I did both a face shave and a head shave. The Soothing Aloe was protective and actually felt great, and the post shave products enhanced that experience.

Have a great week, everyone!

OCtober 3.jpg

EnglishChannel, AGHisBBS and ilts like this.
  17. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

Today, I am officially applying for membership in the Brotherhood.
    Just picked up this FRESH can of Barbasol! I haven't used this fine cream in years.
    Deliberately avoided any pre-shave treatments to expose the true nature of the Barbasol.
    The cream provided good slickness, firm body, nice glide, and superior cushion. The scent has a very nice woody note - maybe sandalwood?

Yesterday I used a generic canned cream marked sensitive skin. It performed OK - with the additional application of a shea based pre-shave.
    The Barbasol cream just BLOWS that generic cream away. Here we have a canned cream that makes the shave completely enjoyable.
    It's hard to believe that you can get this good of a lather by just pressing a button! Didn't even use a brush.
    Got an EXCELLENT 3 pass BBS shave - no touchups required. Great protection, even with some additional pressure due to a well used DE blade.
    Rimei_Barbasol.jpg
    Now I am going to need to buy ALL of the Barbasol flavors. Just what I need - more shaving creams. :happy036:
    What a great experience from an excellent product.
    MADE in the USA - Ohio. Try it!

AGHisBBS, ilts and sdguero like this.
  18. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

Saturday's Barbasol Shave 10/07/17 DSCF1768.JPG

AGHisBBS likes this.
  19. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Where did you get your Stephan B.R.?

20. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

My Barber Ordered It For Me, Next Time I Go I'll Find Out From Where, Steve