Barbasol Brotherhood

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Bama Samurai, Jul 3, 2016.

1. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

THANKS!

ilts likes this.
  2. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

SOTD 10.18.2017

Pre-shave: hot shower & Shave Secret (not pictured)
    Shave Cream: Travel Size Barbasol Sensitive Skin scent http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...m-travel-can-experiment-sensitive-skin.57755/
    Razor: 1970 Gillette Adjustable 109 (P-1)
    Blade: Personna Blue (4)
    Post-shave: Thayer's Lavender WH, Nivea Cooling Post Shave Balm, Aqua Velva AS

Late evening shave today since I spent the day at the lake. Continuing with the "How many shaves can a shaver get from a travel size can of Barbasol" experiment. Tonight I only used a single golf ball sized dollop from the travel can, which I applied by hand. I had enough left over on my hand to cover a 2nd pass comfortably. This has been such a great razor for me, I find I don't need a copious amount of lather to do clean-up work.

Did a single pass with the '70 Gillette (this time, set at #1). Then a 2nd pass and I was done. Very CCS tonight. I used an extra amount of the Nivea balm this evening because I got a lot of sun today. Although it was only in the mid-60s that sun was beating down hot! And the highs here for the next two days are supposed to be about 80 degrees Fahrenheit.

Have a great day / night everyone!
    10.18.2017.jpg

3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

4. sdguero

SOTD 10.19.2017

Face Shave:
    Pre-shave: hot shower
    Shave Cream: Barbasol Sensitive Skin travel-size can http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...m-travel-can-experiment-sensitive-skin.57755/
    Razor: 1970 Gillette Adjustable 109
    Blade: Personna Blue (5)
    Post-shave: Thayer's WH, Nivea Sensitive Balm, Skin Bracer

Head Shave:
    Shave Cream: Pacific Shaving Company Caffeinated Shaving Cream
    Lathering bowl: My wife's home-made, Rosemaled bowl
    Brush: Omega Hi-Brush, synthetic
    Razor: EverSharp Schick G1
    Blade: Schick (1)
    Post-shave: same as above

It was time to do a head shave but as I mentioned when I started this thread, I wasn't going to make this travel size can do double-duty. I continued to use it only for the face shave today, and used a different product for the head shave. I only had to use a single golf ball sized dollop of cream, applied by hand, and it was enough for a 1st pass and a 2nd pass. Today's face shave was not as wonderful as the last three days. It was good, just not magnificent. Somehow, some way, I gave myself a blood-letting with three nicks or weepers about the chin area. I'm sure that was my fault. I think I lost concentration and applied too much pressure as I went over the chin and the Gillette 109 was set at #5. Live and learn. The post-shave made me feel better.

The head shave was great! I used my newly acquired Schick G1. It had to do battle with a week's worth of stubble and it performed admirably.

Overall, great 2-part shaves using different creams and razors. Hope everyone is having a great day / evening.
    10.19.2017 2.jpg

5. sdguero

SOTD 10.20.2017

Pre-shave: Black coffee & a hot shower
    Shave Cream: Barbasol Sensitive Skin travel size can http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...m-travel-can-experiment-sensitive-skin.57755/
    Brush: Omega Hi-Brush, synthetic (not pictured)
    Razor: 1970 Gillette Adjustable black beauty
    Blade: Derby Extra (1)
    Post-Shave: Thayer's WH, Nivea Sensitive Balm, Jovan AS / Cologne

At the last minute, I opted to put a golf ball size dollop of the shave cream directly on a shave brush and paint it on my face. It worked well, and kept my hands clean for the duration of the shave. After the first pass, I used what was left on the brush to cover my face for a 2nd pass. Not satisfied that I had enough of a cushion, I had to add two small dollops to the brush to ensure I had enough lather to protect my skin. With the razor setting on #3 the new Derby blade performed exceptionally well and I ended with a close, comfortable shave. Have a great day everyone as you prepare for the weekend!
    IMG_1455.JPG

6. sdguero

SOTD 10.21.2017

Pre-shave: Black coffee and a hot shower
    Brush: Omega Hi-Brush, Synthetic
    Shave Cream: Barbasol Sensitive Skin travel side can + Cremo Sandalwood Shave Cream http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...m-travel-can-experiment-sensitive-skin.57755/
    Razor: Gillette Milady Decollete Open Comb, 3 piece razor(SN D767833 made in 1917)
    Blade: Derby (2)
    Post-shave: Dickinson WH, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Stetson Cooling Moisture AS, Stetson Original Cologne

I decided I wanted to add something to the Barbasol today and chose the Cremo Sandalwood. I continued to use only a golf ball size dollop of the Barbasol in keeping
    with the experiment. I dispensed the dollop in a bowl and whipped it with the shaving brush. Then I added a little water and a quarter size amount of Cremo and the
    resulting lather was very slick. It painted on my face like meringue and was very nice. Good combination! After 2 passes I had more than enough left over for a clean
    up pass on my neck.

I acquired this Gillette razor in a travel case back in July during an out-of-town trip. I didn't know a lot about it initially, except that it cleaned up very nice and the serial number indicates it was manufactured in 1917. I chose to pull it out and do a first shave with it. I was a little reluctant because it has a crack down the side of the handle, which makes it a bit loose so I had to go slowly. Nevertheless, it was a pleasant shave and the razor performed well.

It wasn't until later when I did a little research on this razor, and an old type with a ball handle that I realized this "Milady Decollette" razor was marketed for women. And here I thought it was a little travel razor.... Oops! No wonder that handle is so petite! Well, if my wife can rifle through my side of the closet and wear my shirts whenever she wants, I think I should be able to use a razor marketed for women once in a while.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!
    IMG_1460.JPG

Barbasol lather only....
    IMG_1464.JPG

Barbasol + Cremo....
    IMG_1466.JPG

PLAla, AGHisBBS, ilts and 1 other person like this.
  7. Bama Samurai

20-21 October 2017

[​IMG]

8. Bama Samurai

Well, you know... Next time we're in France together... Let's order Louis XIV Cognac, and then mix it with diet coke...just because we're in the mood to "add something."

Personal foul on the offense, molesting the Barbasol. Fifteen yards from the spot, and loss of down.....2nd down and 27 to go.

9. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

I use the yellow can and my Gillette Sensor for my 3am work week shaves and I always get a smooth comfortable shave. I use my Semogue 830 to lather it on my face. For warm lather I put the can in a basin filled with hot tap water.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

AGHisBBS, sdguero and Bama Samurai like this.
  10. Bama Samurai

Love it!

sdguero likes this.
  11. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

:happy102::happy097: DON'T MOLEST THE BARBASOL!!!! I love it! Great paraphrase and tip of the hat to our close friend :happy088:
    I'm tempted to use this in my signature...

AGHisBBS, sdguero and Bama Samurai like this.
  12. Bird Lives

I love it aswell....I've done the hot water trick...feels good on a cold morning...}8^)) I tried the Mr Coffee Mug warmer too...But it didn't cut it...the hot water filled sink is better :happy088:

sdguero and Bama Samurai like this.
  13. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

Sunday's Barbasol Shave DSCF1826.JPG

14. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I molested my Williams just now, but it was asking me to do it. What's my penalty?

sdguero likes this.
  15. Bird Lives

Well since it was asking for it...you might be able to contest the Official's Call....But as I understand it....Well, I'll quote someone far wiser than I, "Personal foul on the offense, molesting the Barbasol. Fifteen yards from the spot, and loss of down.....2nd down and 27 to go. " :lam:

Bama Samurai and sdguero like this.
  16. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

It was the Williams I molested. Barbasol is part of my den all year long.

sdguero likes this.
  17. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

I bought a can of the Barbasol Sensitive Skin SC this afternoon at Walmart.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

18. Bird Lives

Man....I've been guilty of that so many times...:happy102:
    I've got that in my signature as a show of respect to a dear friend of ours, who always says that....
    After Bama announced yesterday about molesting the Barbasol, I fell out! :happy097:
    Actually, as a Jazz musician...I hold extemporaneous improvisation in high regard....."Have it your way" to quote another man far wiser than I...:eatdrink047:

AGHisBBS likes this.
  19. Bird Lives

Recently tried the Vi-Jon rebranded "Brisk"....It's my understanding all the rebranded Brisk, like Rite-Aid, or Family Dollar Stores, are all made by Vi-Jon aswell as Barbasol "Brisk"!

I haven't ordered the Barbasol Brisk yet, and there are no Family Dollar Stores around Seattle...But I got the Rite-Aid version and it's fantastic...Definitely a take on Skin Bracer...even says that on the label...BUT the Menthol volume is much higher than Skin Bracer or AV Ice Blue for that matter...It's serious about delivering some menthol, I dig it!!

The scent is the same as Skin Bracer, maybe a little more powdery and not as strong, plus no longevity or sillage which is perfect for me, because I like to use different scents layered every day...But this "Brisk" might be my favorite post shave splash...It's an every day thing for me now...Feels extraordinary...I believe it is the samething as Barbasol Brisk...I've read on B&B that it is, but I haven't made the comparison myself...

Metro, ilts and sdguero like this.
  20. sdguero

Let me know what you think of the scent. I like it.

Dan

Bird Lives likes this.