Barbasol on a brush!

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by ZackPomerleau, Jun 19, 2012.

1. ZackPomerleau

ZackPomerleau Active Member

You guys ever try putting some Barbasol on a brush of some sort? Tried it today just for the heck of it, and I was SUPER surprised how good it was. I was just disappointed because the Pacific Rush cream is dying for menthol I think.

2. Bluesbishop

Bluesbishop Active Member

If my father was still alive he would have been 93......He ALWAYS used Barbasol, and applied it with a brush. For years, after he died, and before I started traditional wet shaving, I used my Dad's brush with Barbasol.....used that way for many years.....not a bad combo! Was good enough for Dad!

Yehuda D and LSUfanBR like this.
  3. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

Haven't tried Barbasol with a brush but I'm a Barbasol believer personally. I always keep a can stashed away in case I run out of other products. It's the only canned cream I know of that does the job right. Just before I switched to wet shaving I bought a can on a whim and right away it blew the gel junk out of the water. Refreshing, good scent, great price point, thick lather. Haven't used it now in some time though but if you're gonna go with a can, it's the way to go.

LSUfanBR and dashmaverick like this.
  4. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I used Barbasol a grand total of 5 times in my whole life, but not with a brush. Each time was terrible. So, no more Barbasol for me.

5. ZackPomerleau

ZackPomerleau Active Member

I often mix the sensitive version and menthol version (Arctic Rush) with a soap, works pretty good!

6. skyfox12

skyfox12 Active Member

Yes, I have, and think it works just fine. Other canned foams can be used just as well. The trick (for me) was to soak the brush in hot sink water while I was showering, resoak the brush while filling the sink for your shave, put the cream on the brush, and then dunk it in the sink for a few seconds so the brush and cream soak up as much water as it can absorb and gently rub it in my face in circles, and then in a side to side painting fashion. Works great for me. If the other side of your face gets dry, simply put a little more cream on the brush, dip in water, and repeat the aforementioned process.

7. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

IMHO the only real deficit to using Barbasol rather than say my Cella is that the lather is not nearly as rich as Cella. However, I have some other triple milled hard soaps whose lather whips up to be no thicker than Barbasol. So I would never use it to replace my Italians, but I have a few others that I'm less in love with that are IMHO no better than canned Barbasol and cost 10x as much. So I will say that.

8. ChrisC1977

ChrisC1977 Well-Known Member

I have used Barbasol in the past when I used to used can shave creams. (shudders) And for the price, it was a good cream. Better lather than most of the sporty brands. But nothing touches a good menthol traditional lather cream! Ain't that right Jeff! :)

9. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

Putting a dab of Barbasol on the brush when lathering a soap or cream can be an eye opener. If the Barbasol is much better than the brush made lather, then some lathering improvement is needed. When I first started bowl lathering I thought I was getting good lather, but actually wasn't. I used up my old Barbasol ubering up a Williams puck I refused to toss.

'65 G-Slim likes this.
  10. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Aside from shaving, it has a long history of being used for many medical conditions . Bedsores being one of them. Not the menthol one!

11. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

It was also a favorite for breaking in new baseball gloves.

12. LSUfanBR

LSUfanBR Well-Known Member

Barbasol Soothing Aloe is my cream of choice and it is excellent lathered in a bowl with my shaving brush! I find using my brush also makes the cans last longer as I don't need to use as much cream.

Ijustmissedthe50s and RyX like this.
  13. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

That's my shave too...Barbasol by brush! I think it makes the can last longer too. Wrong forum to say this, but long live the Barbasol Brotherhood!

LSUfanBR likes this.
  14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

RyX and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  15. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Sponsored in part by Babe Ruth and Knute Rockne, but those fellas aren't available to thank me.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  16. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I sometimes dip my brush in Clubman Classic Barber before lathering with Williams to give it an extra bit of creaminess. I must try this with Barbasol.

RyX and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  17. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Ive never personally tried it but Ive heard that some people do. Personally, I dont see the point to it, other than keeping your hands cleaner but hey, whatever works.

18. MVeeI

MVeeI Well-Known Member

I squirt some Barbasol in a cup then apply it with a moist synthetic brush. I do it to keep my hands soap-free.

RyX likes this.
  19. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

I really don't see the advantage of using a brush with canned shave creams. I have tried it, but it just seems easier to use your hand.
    Usually, if I am using canned SC, it is because I am pressed for time, looking to shorten the prep process, or just want a fast shave.
    Using a brush in this case is counter productive.

But, I think everyone should try it if they have the interest or curiosity. You might like it.

This reminds me, years ago I had this shave brush nozzle for my canned shave cream.
    It really was more fuss than it was worth - imagine swirling an entire can of shave cream around just to spread the cream on your face.

Bama Samurai likes this.