Barbasol Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Rocket Scientist, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Let me introduce you to Barbie, my recently acquired Barbasol floating-head razor. (is that a sign of having mental problems? naming razors? ;) )

Finally got it all cleaned up and I shaved with it yesterday. Great shave, but I'd like to try a sharper blade as it wasn't quite close enough. Definitely goes on my favorite razors shelf next to my G-bar and Fatboy.

And before I get some hate posts about that last photo, I was going to use a William's box but didn't have one handy. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. aberneth

aberneth Member

Alright, where did you come up with this one, then? I looked for a barbasol for ages before I settled for a micromatic. Did you recently jack a leprachaun and take his stash of gold and anomalous vintage razors?

3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Really nice razor hope it shaves as good as it looks ... and you will get no hate mail using the Colgate. If it were still made it would be just as much a favorite as Williams.. as it is I have a stash of 6 pucks I think.. plus on in a bowl and one of the Barbershop Colgate pucks in a scuttle. Great stuff.

4. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Nice looking Barbasol. One of the only vintage razors I really want outside of the Eclipse. Barbie is attractive.

5. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Very nice! I hope it gives you many great shaves. :happy088

6. When I had the fever for a Barbasol razor I made a habit of doing an eBay search for "barbasol razor" every single time that I got on the internet. After weeks, this one finally popped up and I was able to snag it for $58. High, I know, but the bidding had a hold on me. :ashamed001

I found the glass bottle of AV last week at Dollar General. It was in the back of the rack behind the new shatterproof plastic ones.

The Colgate shaving soap was found in my grandfather's bathroom after he passed away in 2001. I haven't the heart to open it and use it.

Now all I need is to get a vintage Barbasol DE blade to go in the case with Barbie.

brit likes this.
  7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

If you wanna try some colgate shoot me a pm with an addy. I grated some down into sample containers here awhile back and there is one left.

Fuzzy

8. newb

newb Resident Newb

I actually was scoping out the one you won. With the condition yours is in, you got a great deal. Barbs are getting harder to find and most have lots of brassing on the head. Congrats and enjoy the aggression.:D

9. Thanks, I was looking at one in a different case that Razor Emporium had a while back but it had a ton of brassing on the head and they were asking $85. I was wisely advised by another member (Jody) that patience is the most important thing when razor hunting: wait long enough and eventually the good condition razor that you're looking for will show up.

10. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

It's only a problem if you start having conversations with them.;)

Congratulations! One thing I've wondered about these, why do they call it a "floating head"?

Nice razors.:signs021 I've got a saved eBay search on these too, but from the usual prices I've seen, don't expect I'll ever get one.

11. Barbasol came out with two versions of this razor. Their first one was VERY aggressive: the blade rested almost directly on the safety bar and the handle does not say Barbasol. The one I have is called the "floating head" because the blade sits slightly higher and isn't quite as aggressive.

Here's a better explanation with pics of the differences.

12. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

A question for my education. Why is it referred to as a "floating head" razor?

13. dashmaverick

dashmaverick Member

I once had a Barbasol razor, probably the most aggressive razor I ever used: never really got good shaves with it. I ended up selling it, though now I wish I would have kept it around, just for rarity purposes.

FYI, I believe it's called a 'floating head' because of the way the bottom head plate is shaped. Where the blade sits, it is slightly raised, sort-of like a shim for a tech. It's what makes it so aggressive.

14. Reformation Student

Thanks.

15. Steve, if you go to the B&B thread link I posted above your original post there are pics illustrating both types. Very interesting read.

16. Reformation Student

Thanks. You know if I were to read posts a little later in the day when I'm fully awake, I might not ask questions to which answers were already given. :ashamed001

17. To be fair, I think I probably posted that while you were in the middle of typing your first post so you didn't see it. Not your fault. :D

18. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Very cool score Nathan.

Enjoy it in good health!

19. staxchipswell

staxchipswell Member

Here is mine...

They are very aggressive...[​IMG]

20. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor