Barber Shop Shaves

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Feb 2, 2017.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I was waiting to get a haircut, yesterday, and saw a couple of older men getting a shave. This is an older shop, 30+ years.
    I was surprised to see the barbers break out disposable cartridge razors. When asked about straight shaving, they just chuckled, like I was speaking a foreign language. Granted the barbers were in their 30s and 40s. Maybe they don't teach them that in barbers school anymore.
    Anyone have barbers in your areas that still use straights??

2. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

My wife gave me a gift certificate for a haircut and shave at an upscale barber shop a few years back. Got my hair cut, which was fine, and then moved on to the shave. This is before I was wet shaving, so I was really anticipating a straight shave. She proceeded to pull out a Mach 3. I thought "I can shave with that at home." It wasn't really a good shave......disappointing. I asked her about straight razors and her reply was "We can use those but the Mach 3s are so much easier." I don't know of anyone around here who uses a straight as a barber.

3. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Lots of old Shanghai barbers in Hong Kong and all use straights. Haircut and a shave for about 8 bucks.

AGHisBBS, Karl G, Keithmax and 7 others like this.
  4. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

My understanding is that most (?) states do not allow barbers to give true straight razor shaves due to health concerns over blood-borne pathogens. At most you'll find shavettes being used. But, I agree, why bother offering shaves if they're going to be with a disposable or cart razor.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    Karl G, Linuxguile, Spyder and 4 others like this.
  5. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

I Dropped By a Turkish Barber that Advertises a Traditional Hot Towel Shave Job Just Last Week..He Uses a Shavette..I Just Turned Around & Walked Out the Door..Ta Ta..:happy097:

Billy..:chores016:

Karl G, Keithmax, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  6. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

In western Canada there are a lot of shops offering shaves, typically either a disposable blade, like a feather or a DE shave. In the province I live in the barbers are allowed to use a traditional straight but they need to be disinfected between clients, and someone has to maintain them. So for ease of use most are using the disposable. I did chat with a lady barber a few years back that knew how to maintain her traditional straight, and used it in the shop. I have had many barber shop shaves. I can get a perfect shave at home, but not the rest of the treatment. Face, scalp, shoulder massage, several rounds of hot steaming towels. I have had very nice shaves, and some that were less than perfect. You can get a very nice shave with a shavette or disposable blade straight. I have a selection of straight and when on road trips I often take my Weck Sextoblade. It shaves very similar to my traditional straights and has some weight to it as well.

Karl G, Keithmax, Spyder and 3 others like this.
  7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

My barber will do str8 shaves, but with a shavette. Ten bucks, I think.
    He said he doesn't like giving them, and I've never asked for one.

Keithmax, Spyder, Billyfergie and 2 others like this.
  8. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

Surprisingly enough there is a local barbershop here that uses straight razors for both shaves and for doing the neck with hair cuts. I have never used them but a friend told me that they are very good. Might have to give them a try sometime...

ETA- Wyoming doesn't have laws prohibiting the use of straights

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    Karl G, Keithmax, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  9. americanshamrock

Apparently they have a website HERE .
    Disclaimer - I have no affiliation whatsoever with said barbershop.
    Just sharing knowledge...

10. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Going by the gallery, they do nice work.

11. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Recently got a shave at the AOS store in New Orleans. They advertised straight razor shaves and thought I would indulge myself. Very disappointing to say the least. The barber used a shavette which is required by law in LA (or so I'm told) but it wasn't a good shave at all.

I did find another barbershop that advertised a traditional straight razor shave with 7 hot towels used. I'll try to check that out and get back later.

12. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

There's an old establishment nearby that still gives straight shaves. There's also a young guy that just started up and offers straight shaves. He's going the retro direction; good for him.

13. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I got a haircut and a straight shave on the morning of my wedding. It was performed by a barber that I had been going to since I was a kid and was very nice. He used an actual straight that he stropped right in front of me. He has since retired and that was my one and only professional straight shave. I don't know if CO has laws preventing the use of actual straights but that's how he did it. The barbershop I go to now will give you a shave with a shavette (and that is what they use to clean up the neck line) but I have never had one, I figure I can give myself a better shave so why bother.

George X, Karl G, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  14. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Art of Shaving stores use it as their main draw.

In my neck of the woods, there are several old school barbers that do it as well as some of the newer, fancier places. Floyd's 99 does straight razor shaves and they are a chain. I'm not sure if there is one where you live, but it's worth checking out.

15. Straight razor dandy

That would be pretty far to go for a shave, lol

RetLEO-07, Vlasta, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  16. Straight razor dandy

Shavettes are far more the "norm" for places that do SR shaves. I have been told this by multiple people in the industry. They are easier to maintain and easier to keep sanitary.

17. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I got a straight razor shave back in September of 1968 in Vung Tau, Vietnam. I was on an in country R&R and decided to treat myself. He did the hot towel and all. Even got a massage afterwards.

DesertTime, RetLEO-07, Karl G and 4 others like this.
  18. 1976MGB

1976MGB Active Member

Depending on local laws, they may need to use shaving tools with disposable blades like a shavette. I believe that here in Colorado a regular straight razor is acceptable, with proper sanitizer...

19. americanshamrock

[​IMG]

cmorris357, Vlasta, Karl G and 6 others like this.
  20. Kenneth Sampson

Kenneth Sampson Well-Known Member

I've only been in a shop to get my hair cut once in about 20 years. We lost power for 2 weeks after a hurricane came up the bay and destroyed the neighborhood power lines. about 7 years ago. I went to Sport Clips for a hair cut and asked if they could fix my face since its hard to shave in the dark, and they pulled out an electric razor. Back then I was using carts so I didn't think much of it. 99.9% of the time I cut my own hair. I cut my 8 year old son's hair most of the time as well, but he likes to go to Sport Clips from time to time and flirt.

DesertTime, Karl G, Keithmax and 3 others like this.