Barber Shop Shaves

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Truefitt & Hill in Chicago gives shaves. When I was there a year or so ago the barber was shaving a customer's head. I don't recall if it was a straight or a shavette. Here in Florida barbers are required by law to use a shavette. :(

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  2. George X

George X Well-Known Member

Since Andrew and I live in the same town I can echo that I have not seen nor know if Colorado has health laws against SR shaves but I have had shavette shaves at two establishments. The first place she used a shavette for the first pass and I told her I was looking forward to experience to see how close a shavette might give as I was using a DE because carts irritate my face. She then puts a warm towel on my face covering my eyes and proceeds to use a cart. My face burned for two days. The second place was a joke of a shave and although he did 3 shavette passes, I have done better with one pass with a dull DE. Some of us learn slower than others, I will save my cash and do it myself

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

crackstar, Karl G, dustmite and 2 others like this.
  3. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I paid for one shave years ago. It was an old fashioned barber shop, and he used a straight. While the shave was nothing to write home about, the hot towels and warm lather was phenomenal!

4. ejones037

ejones037 New Member

Haven't recently but while in the navy the barber I went to shaved all service men complimentary with your hair cut.... was kinda a scary experience as he was in his seventies and had a horrible shake but gave the best flat top and shave around. I'm sure he has passed on by now but it was always an experience stepping into his chair. Vast array of straights and hand clippers etc that he used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crackstar, Karl G and Spyder like this.
  5. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

What a coincidence! I was in Vung Tau in '68 as well. Was stationed on the USS Tutuila anchored in the bay there.

crackstar, Karl G, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Swabby, huh? Thank you for your service.
    [​IMG]

7. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

My barber offers shavette shaves and usually finishes off my haircut by shaving my neck.

8. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

And thank you for yours.

9. Rugger007

Rugger007 Active Member

Like it was mentioned local laws may prevent real straights from being used. Shavettes are more the norm, however in today's society the reality is that straight shaving is a lost art. There are those of us who love it but for a barber to learn and perfect the skill required, not to mention the time and prep, it's not worth their time to do it. The best shave you will ever have is by your own hand.

crackstar, swarden43, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  10. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

A big Yeppers on what you said.

Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  11. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

In Michigan, the difference between a barbers certification and that of a hair stylist; the barber still has to be able to provide a straight razor shave. There's several local establishments that offer a straight shave. At $25 a shave, I'll gladly shave myself:)

Bama Samurai and Karl G like this.
  12. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Was there a "happy ending"? :)

AGHisBBS, Karl G and Jayaruh like this.
  13. RetLEO-07

I've always wanted the traditional straight razor shave. But since I've been DE shaving, not so much anymore. I trust me more than some guy I never met handling razor sharp metal near my throat.

Karl G and DaltonGang like this.
  14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    It was a neck, shoulder massage. Happy ending.

Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  15. RetLEO-07

;) "I love you long time GI".

Billyfergie, MObigfoot and Karl G like this.
  16. FlightMedic

FlightMedic Well-Known Member

I've had straight shaves at two different barber shops recently. One used a feather shavette and the other used a traditional straight razor. The actual straight razor was a younger guy in a very old barbershop in OKC. But my normal barber is in Arkansas and uses a shavette with several passes and I'm not sure I can tell the difference when he is done.

Truth is paying for a shave isn't real cost effective but once every couple of months when I get my hair cut I like to relax and let a real professional do the work. My wife has actually been encouraging it lately but I think it's because my $30 shave and a cut is still a fraction of the cost spent on her hair, waxing, and nails...

The other reason I like it is that I don't trust myself to strop a straight razor without messing it up so I can relax and get a traditional shave without the risk of destroying a freshly honed blade or slicing myself Sweeney Todd style while trying to master a new tool. At home I'm happy using my vintage DE razors.

-Will

17. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Don't be skeerd. I felt the same way you do, for a long time. Just order an inexpensive "Sight Unseen" razor, from Whipped Dog, and purchase an inexpensive strop. His razors come truly "Shave Ready". Just take your time, and you will be surprised how easy it is. It's much more satisfying than using a DE razor.

18. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Will, with a little practice, you can give yourself a better shave than the barber. You really need to join the dark side:)

Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  19. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

Part of the lure of the barber shop shave is not just the shave but the full experience. I could see doing it with every hair cut if it was an option. As for shaving with a straight razor, it is my go to, DE razors scare the pants off of me. I did just finish a nice shave with a Henckels Rapide though. I think everyone that can get past the fear of messing up an edge, a strop and the occasional blood letting can learn to shave with a straight razor. I have had a few nicks, a lot of weepers, and a couple of out and out cuts straight shaving. The two worst cuts are still a Mach III with a loose blade and a DE and a pieces of duct coming in a close third.

Billyfergie likes this.
  20. RetLEO-07

Ah, no.

Karl G and Billyfergie like this.