Barber Shop Shaves

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Got a str8 shave today with this big boy - haircut and a shave - $22 plus tip. Not bad eh? Maybe we should start a thread for shop reviews? I would like to post a review of the shops I have tried.

The razor sang as it shaved!! str8.jpeg

IDuck, crackstar, mrchick and 6 others like this.
  2. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

Great Looking Razor .My Henckel that was finished on J-Nat provides a wonderfully smooth shave .Provides quite a bit Audible feedback .

crackstar, Karl G, Vlasta and 2 others like this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I have 3-4 Henckels, and all shave very well.

crackstar, Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  4. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

Henckels 72 1/2V ?

5. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

I've only had a couple barbershop shaves over the last few years, both being disappointing. They both used shavettes. The second guy pre-shaved me with an electric (!!!) then carried on with the shavette. At leasr he had good technique.

Makes me realize, where I get my haircut, they use shavettes for the neck shave, but I haven't seen them throw the blades out afterwards... I hope they barbicide those!

6. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

A part of me would love to get a traditional straight razor shave at a barber. The other part of me remembers the Standard Precautions training from work and freaks out about the possibility of contracting Hep B, C, HIV, Herpes, etc... from a shared razor.

Grimpen, crackstar and Karl G like this.
  7. FlightMedic

FlightMedic Well-Known Member

Well I had every intention of listing my straight razors in the Marketplace when I posted here the other day but somehow you guys convinced me to buy a strop and give them a chance for a while. Strop should be here by the end of the week and I've got two razors already honed by @gssixgun so I should be set up to get started.

8. DaltonGang

Sounds like you are off to an excellent start. :happy096:

9. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

Honestly, it isn't that hard. This is what kept me from straights for so many years, and now that I have one, I can't figure out why I was afraid of stropping a razor...

10. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Exactly. I haven't been shaved by a barber in years.

Karl G likes this.
  11. DaltonGang

Well, Have you given the blades honed by @gssixgun a try??

Karl G and crackstar like this.
  12. FlightMedic

FlightMedic Well-Known Member

I shaved with one of them a few days ago and will do it again tomorrow afternoon. So far so good but my stropping has a lot of room for improvement.