Barrister and Mann Review (Seville)

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by LevelupShaves, Jul 4, 2017.

1. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

Today I shaved with Barrister and Mann Seville for the first time and I love this soap. The scent is incredibly complex with notes of Bergamot, Lemon, Lavender, Rosemary, and Patchouli all combined pretty well so none of them really stand out. I wasn't sure about that many earthy florals in one place but it really works quite well.
    So on to what really matters right performance. This is an excellent performer it takes a bit of water and a little time to dial in the lather but once you do the lather is amazing. It's very dense and protective and lasts through a whole shave quite well.
    As for slickness this is a very slick soap with a lot of residual slickness for passes two and three.
    Post shave for this soap is second to none at least so far for me. It's not too surprising though because this soap has Tallow, Lanolin, Coconut oil, Shea Butter, and Glycerin in it. It's like a soap cocktail for a soft face!
    This soap runs around $15 to $18 (counting shipping) putting it at about $4 per ounce so it's a little on the high side but not too bad. It's a fairly hard soap too so I'm pretty sure it'll last a while.
    Overall this is a great soap that I would definitely recommend to anyone it creates a great lather, is very slick, smells great, and has an incredible post shave feel. The only real negative to this soap is that it's very thirsty and dialing in that awesome lather takes a minute.

Let me know your experiences with Barrister and Mann do you agree with my review think I'm wrong let me know!

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PLANofMAN, BaylorGator, brit and 9 others like this.
  2. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

I agree. B&M makes great soaps and I love the Seville scent. They definitely have top marks for protection, slickness and Post Shave feel.

Awesome soap

silvertip63 and Kokak like this.
  3. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Great review! !!

I agree with the performance of their soaps and i do like the scent on seville and cheshire. But outside of those i really dislike their other scents. But thats only my opinion and not meant to down their soaps if other people like the scents.

silvertip63, Kokak and LevelupShaves like this.
  4. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Great review. To me, any soap under $20, shipped, is reasonable. I will get around to trying B&M eventually as they are on my top five soaps yet to try.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yehuda D and silvertip63 like this.
  5. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

I like B&M soaps but my one issue, is the "scents" (and that is with a lot of soap co.)...Its not that the scents are bad but are kind of complex and make me feel like im playing roulette on if its a scent I would actually enjoy....this is where stirling IMO (and even route 66) stand out, I can take the name of it and get a pretty good idea of what the scent is going to be like...but I do agree they are great soaps, Im just kind of beyond the point of "gambling" on if I will like a scent or not.

Salty Belle, Kokak and Yehuda D like this.
  6. LevelupShaves

They do have some interesting and somewhat confusing scents that's for sure. I only took the gamble on Seville because of all of the positive reviews it has. I also have to give this particular scent props because it's not really fragrance based but more the scents of several oils in the soap like rosemary oil lemon oil etc. Stirling is up for tomorrow so I'm looking forward to reviewing it.

7. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

There's only one B&M item I'll buy again. The Arctique aftershave. If the soap smells that awesome then I'm sure it's a winner, but I don't think I'll ever buy it.

8. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Arctique soap is awesome! I got a sample of it from the pass around box and as much as I love the Stirling Glacial Wintergreen and Spearmint, I find the peppermint in Arctique to be even better. I am looking forward to picking some up on the 7th

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    Yehuda D likes this.
  9. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

argee...I have Chesire, and if I listed the scent profile it almost does no good..It smells exactly like green tea, which I find more helpful then what is mentioned in the scent profile.

Yehuda D and theFAT98 like this.
  10. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I have the B&M Seville and I think it is a very nice soap. The scent is complex, but still, quite enjoyable. Great lather. Nice review!

jtspartan, LevelupShaves and Yehuda D like this.
  11. LevelupShaves

You should give it a shot you won't regret it!

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

12. LevelupShaves

I agree sometimes less is more when it comes to description.

13. LevelupShaves

Awesome and thank you for letting me know you like the review planning on doing more

14. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Great review my brother. This soap has been on my radar, but I've got Wool Fat inbound. So it's gonna have to wait. But it's on the top 5 list.

15. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Seville is my favorite of the B&M soaps I have tried. The Latha scents tend to be more linear and straightforward from what I hear. I have the Latha Taiga and it is pretty much straight up pine needles.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

16. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Good review. I have the Seville in my rotation and enjoy the performance and scent. I'd also recommend trying one of the new Barrister's Reserve soaps- the base is even thicker and thirstier if you can believe it. As well, in case you aren't aware of it, the Seville AS will be released on Friday...

LevelupShaves likes this.
  17. Crowne & Crane

Crowne & Crane Well-Known Member

I like the Seville scent. Good review.

LevelupShaves likes this.
  18. LevelupShaves

I'm on a no more soap buying for now but I'll definitely check it out what are the scents like?

theFAT98 likes this.
  19. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

All 3 are based on discontinued scents:
    Spice- Shulton Old Spice
    Cool- Floid Blue
    Classic- Gillette Sun Up
    I cannot comment on the Classic as I don't have it, but the Cool and Spice are phenomenal Splashes, IMHO. I bought the Cool soap as a result of loving the scent and performance of both Splashes. It is, as far as my untrained nose finds, an exact match for the AS. Just a first class lather, as long as you give it enough water- it is my thirstiest soap, with the shortest load necessary of any of my soaps.
    Later this summer, Fern and Lavender will be added to the Reserve collection, based on two other discontinued scents.

Gnomeo0228 likes this.
  20. LevelupShaves

Awesome thanks for the heads up I think Seville might be my number 1 soap right now though more investigation is needed lol. I like the scent but it's the performance and post shave that are really sealing it for me. Could be Stirling too though.