BBS or Bust?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by HolyRollah, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

DFS or SAS. I focus on comfort.

Sometimes I shoot for BBS.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I like the BBS feeling, and I usually get that on my cheeks with my three pass routine. I stopped trying for it on my neck and I ok with that. Two passes and a little touch up for DFS on the neck suits me.

J.F. Martin and Jayaruh like this.
  3. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

I just give it 2 passes and call it good, but I usually don't feel any rough spots left over either(in any direction), so I guess that what folks are calling BBS (or a reasonable facsimile thereof). I have a wide goatee across my chin though, and my shaves are only my cheeks, upper lip and neckline.

So no, I don't chase 'em, but I don't find that they're all that uncommon either.

Jayaruh and Kilgore Trout like this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

There's a reason I make three passes every time I shave - I'm going for BBS.
    I'm one of the "fortunate" ones who can make that third and final pass ATG, and shave every day without issues.

That said, if three passes don't get it, I'm done. I learned long ago not to push for BBS, just let it come to me.

Tdmsu and Jayaruh like this.
  5. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    All about the comfort here, smooth is simply a by-product of a true luxury shave :)

Since I started with a SR back 33 years now it was about the comfort, I hated shaving, it hurt.. Once I learned that a SR could get me neat and clean, and didn't hurt I was hooked, now I am obsessive about how good my skin feels, not actually about how close the shave is.. They seem top go hand in hand however, using good steel, proper technique and the best products, seems to give my skin what it needs and a close comfortable shave ...

Jayaruh likes this.
  6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I'll admit I usually chase the BBS. Since I left the cartridge behind I can pursue it without the pain. I get a BBS shave about 60-70% of the time. Some days it's not meant to be. I also enjoy the journey. Maybe 1 day a week I just go for the DFS.

Jayaruh likes this.
  7. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

I just change the "D" to "Darn." Works for me.

Tdmsu and BigMark like this.
  8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Same here.

Tdmsu and BigMark like this.
  9. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    The past few days I've been experimenting with one-pass ATG (plus touchups on the problem areas). I got a BBS-rf ( reasonable facsimile) and thought to enjoy the greater efficiency. I don't think it a sustainable approach for me. My regular two-pass and touchups is closer to true BBS and certainly more enjoyable.

And there it is, fellas! "Enjoyable." I'm done with the one-pass, love a BBS(rf), and delight in a true BBS. However, I am going to spend some time pondering exactly what makes this hobby enjoyable to me.

... but maybe that's what this forum is all about...

Color me reflective.

HolyRollah likes this.
  10. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

I go for BBS every shave. I do a 4 pass shave and usually achieve the magical BBS. I also like to call my shaves when I achieve it AGAIG, which is As Good As It Gets. Usually when I do not get BBS it is because of technique on my part. To be AGAIG, the needs to no irritation. YMMV.

11. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

I would probably bust if I attempted an absolute BBS...

12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Finding one's comfort level is to what and where this all boils down. If I decide a true, unadulterated BBS shave (absolutely NO rough patches, no detection of stubble in ALL directions) is my goal every time, then I'm probably going to be in a world of hurt within a week's time. My skin couldn't handle the daily irritation on the scale required to maintain that particular level of shaving closeness. So I am content achieving those 'BBS-rf' you've described, Sean.
    If the need arises where I really want to get the closest possible BBS shave, I'll do three passes with a straight razor, and finish up with the R41 loaded with a feather blade. Zowie! This would of course be followed by a generous application of skin-soothing balm.....

We toss 'BBS' out in post-shave evaluations with amazing frequency ("My first wet-shave ever...with an old derby blade and rusty Gillette... and I got BBS in one pass!"), but realistically, I'm happy with 85-90% über-close, 10% some rough patches, and 0% irritation...

178-bplatoon, Larry P and maltedmilk like this.
  13. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

For the longest time I would not stop until I was truly BBS, which isn't a problem for my neck and cheeks, but my chin and above my upper lip were always irritated to the point that it just wasn't worth the discomfort. The hair in that area is so thick and dense that it takes about 6- 7 passes for a BBS...And my facial hair grows so quickly that I need to shave every morning, so now my goal is for a comfortable irritation free shave.

14. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

No chasing baby for me. Like you Kevin, if I feel I have to have that BBS, I just grab the '55 Flare Tip, a green 7 OC, and the Tabac.
    While it certainly is enjoyable to feel that super smooth from any direction, it's just interesting to try a combination of things
    I've not tried before. Oh, and I guess my most favorite thing is just building lather in my bowl. There is just something about
    loading that old Omega 48 with something that smells really good, and stirring up a mug of froth. I don't know why, but if I need
    to smile, that does it every time...

maltedmilk likes this.
  15. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

The issue with me is irritation. I'm happy with a decent, decent+, or DFS. But even shaving XTG gives me irritation. And one-pass, WTG just won't do . . . it leaves way too much stubble. I've been staying away from the alcohol-based AS's (which I really miss) because they increase my irritation. So does alum. I've tried some of TSD AS Milks, but they leave my face feeling sticky. I may have to limit myself to witch hazel + Neutrogena Triple Protect Face Lotion.

16. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

That describes me too. Aces!

Tdmsu likes this.
  17. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

The more I think about it, the more I become convinced that one should not chase the shave. Chasing a BBS is like trying to catch a falling knife. Can it be done? Sure! But, if you mess up, you face the consequences.

18. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Comfort is my goal. Anything above a DFS is a bonus.

Kilgore Trout likes this.
  19. Tattoobob

Tattoobob Well-Known Member

I'm starting to lighten up a little, still working on my technic and trying different blades, got my lather down pretty good, next step up feather blades in a couple weeks. Good topic. Helped me get a better outlook on my shaving expectations.

HolyRollah and maltedmilk like this.
  20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

A light technique is always recommended, especially for one trying to find the right 'touch.' Keep at it…it only gets better! :happy088:

Tdmsu likes this.