BBS or Bust?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by HolyRollah, Jun 13, 2014.

1. MrChrome

MrChrome Member

I am still new to using anything other than a cartridge razor, but I've got facial hair that hits 5'o-clock shadows in a single day. Unless I'm heading out for a date after my shave, it's useless ;_;

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I have found that my DE shaves will leave me smoother longer into the day than carts used to.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
    Bird Lives and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I concur.

4. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

+2

5. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Two things helped me get BBS nearly every time:

1) Cold Water Shaves remove the possibility of irritation and razor burn so I don't have to worry about 3 passes.
    2) Truly knowing the direction of my whisker growth lets me get the most out of every pass.

6. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Definitely true for me aswell....just as my EverReady 1914 SE razor leaves me cleaner shaved even longer than my DE....even though I doubt it, I imagine it is possible the YMMV factor could raise its ugly head on this one.......;)

7. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Just reading about some of the stuff guys do can give me irritation. Facial scrubs, exfoliating, hot towel after hot towel, 3 or 4 passes in every direction...

CyanideMetal and markjnewcomb like this.
  8. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Hmmm...What would Steve do??

9. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

I agree shaving is more a pleasant ritual than a necessary evil. Some shaves might require the BBS feel i.e. Date Night, but for the most part I'm satisfied with DFS.

10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Just enjoy the shave my way, of course :D

Mr. Shaverman and CyanideMetal like this.
  11. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I like to shave every morning. by five I'm ruff again. if I want to look sharp for an evening encounter, or whatever( you married guys know what I mean), I'll shave again.

HolyRollah likes this.
  12. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Just had my first comfortable BBS head shave since starting with DE razors last month. Merkur 37c with a Personna Red. Proper angle = no pressure needed. No pressure = no irritation, even ATG.

HolyRollah and BigMark like this.
  13. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

In the beginning I would BBS or DFS would be easier to accomplish. Even though I know there is a lot of practicing left to do, I try to get smooth enought that I don't see clear rough patches. But I have not learned when to stop =P

I do 2 passes WTG and 1-2 passes XTG in the same direction. I'm doing this so I get the right technique and angle and I have gotten to the place where I don't irritate my skin and get razor burn or bumps. I'm gonna keep doing this for a while and then change one of the XTG with XTG the other direction because I have noticed that that gives good results. I have just under 6 months of DE shaving under my belt and I like to skip days so I have not gotten the practice I need to get BBS. But I'm patient =P

14. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

Never go for BBS. Just like many other aspects of life, take what you can get away with. If you can do WTG, XTG, ATG for BBS with no irritation, why not. I would if I could. Many of us are not able to and stick to 1-2 WTG passes which leaves me plenty satisfied. What I feel bad for is the guys trying to find BBS while causing terrible irritation. Why put yourself through that?

I think it happens a lot with new shavers because some of the big youtube guys do a traditional 3 pass for BBS with no irritation so they get fooled into thinking that's how everyone should shave.

15. J.F. Martin

J.F. Martin Active Member

that's pretty much exactly how it is for me, I don't go for BBS on my neck.

16. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I'm still learning myself, but so far I think when I do get BBS, it prevents me from getting a good comfortable shave the following day, so I really only attempt it once a week at most. For me it's important to not shortcut on a pass. No matter how short my stubble is, I still need at least 3 passes to get a decent shave without irritation.

17. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Now that I am head-shaving with a safety razor I still cannot go ATG. I have naturally wavy/curly hair so I can still get Razor Bumps. I have learned to just settle for a CCS.

HolyRollah likes this.
  18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

'Civilized Cranial Shear'? ;)

JRod22 and BigMark like this.
  19. MrChrome

MrChrome Member

Still skeptical about switching from cart to DE. I feel like it'll take quite a bit of time before I know what I'm doing, or at least that's what I've read. I can't even think of how I would shave without applying pressure.

20. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

You will find it very easy to do. Once you get used to it, you will find that a DE shave far surpasses a cartridge shave for comfort and closeness.

BigMark likes this.