Before and After Restoration Thread.

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by DaltonGang, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG] IMG_7188.JPG
    I cleaned up this Waterville today! Again no before pics, I'll do one for this guy though. [​IMG][​IMG]
    Over all the Klas Törnblom is not in bad shape. A few rust spots here and there, hopefully no major pitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brit, Keithmax, Kokak and 3 others like this.
  2. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Nice looking shaver:). Great job!

Kokak likes this.
  3. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Nice old Frederick Reynolds. A little pitting, lots of honewear. Pretty good shape for a blade from the mis 1800's. I didn't sand too much, since it's been hones so many times. I just unpinned, cleaned and polished. I applied two layers of tape and honed it up. We'll see how it shaves in the next few days.

IMG_1139.JPG IMG_1147.JPG IMG_1228.JPG

brit, Keithmax, mrchick and 4 others like this.
  4. Heljestrand23

Klas Törnblom
    Before:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    After:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Swedish steel is, Incredibly hard...... I had to start out, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500, & finished with a lot of Maas metal polish.

brit, Enrico, DaltonGang and 2 others like this.
  5. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Nice job on a nice razor :happy088:

6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Very well done. :happy088::happy088:

Heljestrand23 and Spyder like this.
  7. Heljestrand23

Thanks guys, I couldn't believe the amount of time I spent sanding and polishing this razor. If I had sat and worked on it in one session I'm sure it would have taken 7 hours or so. Way more than I'd have to put into a softer steel razor like a Solingen or Sheffield.

Spyder likes this.
  8. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Opps Barber Supply "Superior "
    Before

IMG_1413.JPG IMG_1414.JPG

After: Some pitting, I decided not to remove any metal. I removed any corrosion and polished up the blade and scales. It looks decent, and should hone up nicely.

IMG_1424.JPG IMG_1425.JPG

brit, Enrico, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  9. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Flic 5/8
    Before
    IMG_1415.JPG IMG_1416.JPG

After;

Not much required. Cleaned up, masked off the gold wash and polished with three grades of compound and polish. Really nice mirror finish. If this shaves anywhere as good as my other Flic; I'll be a happy boy:)
    IMG_1426.JPG IMG_1427.JPG

brit, Enrico, Drygulch and 4 others like this.
  10. DaltonGang

Spyder likes this.
  11. DaltonGang

Wade And Butcher "Bow Razor".

Before:
    It doesn't look like the razor has ever been on stones before. But, the edge was chipped, and someone tried to grind the chips away, long ago. The Razor box looks almost unused too. It has rust all over, but for the price, it was a no-brainer.
    WB Bow 1a.JPG
    WB Bow 1b.JPG

After:
    A lot of sanding, and a lot of reshaping the edge, just to make it straight. The scales feel tight, and new.
    Next is going to be honing.
    WB Bow 2a.JPG

WB Bow 2b.JPG

brit, Enrico, dangermouse and 3 others like this.
  12. Heljestrand23

Whew, that turned into a looker, well done!

Spyder and DaltonGang like this.
  13. DaltonGang

After honing, It turned into a fantastically sharp razor, Heel to toe.

Spyder likes this.
  14. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Before: Overall nice vintage condition. Dirty and neglected as most straights are. Crud on blade and the scales ( whatever they're made of) dry and tired.

IMG_1591.JPG IMG_1592.JPG

After: cleaned many years of crud with scrubbing bubbles , soaking in neatsfoot oil, and polishing scales and blade. It was a chore to sharpen the butter knife dull blade. Turned out to be a great shaver:)

IMG_1672.JPG IMG_1673.JPG

brit, Deeter, Enrico and 2 others like this.
  15. DaltonGang

Excellent results, Keith. After a little thought/ my vote is for those scales being made of horn. If it were wood, the paint and or stain would have been sanded off, with the work you've done to it.
    :happy088::happy088::happy088:

Keithmax and Spyder like this.
  16. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

:signs001: I tend to agree with you. They behave like horn.

17. DaltonGang

Here is one, that didn't turn out as well as I liked. The rust was too bad, but it did clean up a little. I had to blue the tang, as it was originally, after lots of sanding.

Before: Shur-Edge. I did brush it with a wire brush, before the picture was taken. OOPS, that detracted from how bad the rust really was.

Shuredge 1b pre.JPG

Shuredge 1a pre.JPG

After: Doesn't look much different in the photo, but in person, it was a big improvement. . Not my greatest restore.
    PA171258.JPG

brit, Keithmax, Rusty blade and 2 others like this.
  18. DaltonGang

Yesterday's restore.
    An old Wade & Butcher. The blade was all rusty, and the Horn scales were eaten up, badly. It took a long while, building the scales up, to fill in a lot of the holes. It was a pain, time-wise. I sanded everything down, then took the scales to my new bench buffing wheel. This made fast work on the scales. Great investment.

Before:

P9281202.JPG

After: The blade had a lot of chipping in the heel end, and a little micro-chipping at the toe. Nothing that a little stonework couldnt fix.

PA171256.JPG

brit, Keithmax, Rusty blade and 2 others like this.
  19. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Nice job on the scales!

Spyder likes this.
  20. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Reading your post reminded me of a similar razor in my collection. I didn't want to purchase this Boker SR...it was in such pitiful condition. I thought it was beyond a reasonable restoration. The antique dealer threw it in a deal to buy three SRs. All three were in sad shape but I felt I could salvage two of them. But not this one. I think she wanted to get ride of it, so I got all three for $20. It sat in my cigar box for months, but last night it came to mind and I decided to see what I could do with it. The staining and pitting was pronounced. The crack in the tang covering is stable. I am only sorry I didn't take a before picture. It is still stained and pitted, but I think it gives us some idea of just how nice this razor must have been when it was new. What surprises me is the heft of this razor...and I do like the covered tang and tail. All that is left now is to get it on the stones.
    Boker with covered tang.jpg

brit, Keithmax and DaltonGang like this.