Before and After Restoration Thread.

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by DaltonGang, Jan 2, 2017.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

It doesn't look too bad, and it looks like it could clean up even more. A lot of times, some elbow grease and some good metal polish will remove almost all of the staining. What did you do to it, so far, to get it to where it is?
    BTW, I have a couple of covered tang razors, and they are light as a Feather.

Paul76 and Rusty blade like this.
  2. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I gave it the heavy duty treatment...starting with steel wool, 800, 1k, 1.5k and 2 k wet dry sandpaper and then Mothers Mag and Aluminium Polish and plenty of elbow grease and some TLC. I do all my restoration work by hand so I imagine a buffer wheel would likely take it to the next level. The pitting was quite deep. At this point I don't think I will invest too much more time in it.

Paul76 and DaltonGang like this.
  3. DaltonGang

It sounds like you did everything correct. If you want to take some more of the staining out, bump it down to 320, or 400 grit, and work your way up again, but go light, because of the wording.

Rusty blade likes this.
  4. Rusty blade

Good advice. I generally don't like to dig into the metal too deep...800 is about as low as I normally go. I am fine with a bit of staining...it gives it character. The pitting near the toe was quite deep and would require significant metal removal top remove it all. Not worth it IMO.

DaltonGang likes this.
  5. DaltonGang

I'm the same, with some(a lot) of mine. . It's a personal call.

Rusty blade likes this.
  6. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

William Rodgers 5/8
    I handmade new ziricote scales and tang covers and lead wedge. Polished nickel silver hardware, stainless steel pin-stock. The tang covers really needed replacement but the scales were in good condition, I saved the scales for another project. 21BFC3C3-F6FC-45BB-BAC5-FEF8303D575A.jpeg C918A3D6-1637-412D-A797-7D1895C6CE4E.jpeg 1039BDF2-1C29-4E4C-AFE4-D79D92F83DBC.jpeg 0E660A6F-41ED-4C3E-B1E4-826735BE89D1.jpeg
    Thanks for looking

Enrico, brit, Billyfergie and 4 others like this.
  7. DaltonGang

Paul76 likes this.
  8. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

Wow! Stunning work!!! I love those collars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder and Paul76 like this.
  9. Rusty blade

I was bored tonight so I went digging through my box of "to-do some day in the future" projects and dug out this "Sultan Razor". I don't think its of the highest quality, certainly not Solingen or Sheffield quality....but it was an evening worth of work to put a spit polish on this blade and scales. I put it through the usual routine: steel wool, 800, 1k, 1.5k and 2 k wet dry sandpaper and enough Mothers Mag and Aluminium polish and elbow grease to put my hand into spasms. Here is the before:
    Sultan before.jpg
    And the after:
    Sultan after.jpg
    One of these days I will get this on the stones, but there is a lineup at the honing bench. It may take a while!

Enrico, brit, Billyfergie and 6 others like this.
  10. DaltonGang

Dubl Duck, Satinedge.

Kind of nasty looking photos, but I thought it had potential. A few minutes of buffing, and Viola. Not an "Ugly Duckling" anymore, at least I think so.

Before:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After:
    About 5 minutes buffing.

PC021380.JPG

PC021381.JPG

brit, Dansco, Billyfergie and 7 others like this.
  11. DaltonGang

H.Boker & Co. American Line SS St. Louis.

Before:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After :
    Trial and error with this ones scales. It took several tries before the C.A. took hold. I also tried not to over Polish anything. I didn't want to loose the definition on the blade.

P2141524.JPG

brit, Dansco, Enrico and 5 others like this.
  12. DaltonGang

Unidentified "Silver Steel" Stubtail razor. This one had some bad dings on the entire edge, that needed working out.
    Polished, sanded and honed.

Before:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After:

P2141530.JPG

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    brit, Dansco, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  13. DaltonGang

Commie Razor, bought from Transylvania region of Romania. $1.99 + $13 Shipping
    Stiz, "Dawn", Made in Moscow. 1975.

43 years of tarnish. Polished out most of the abuse.

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

P2141532.JPG

Enrico, brit, Dansco and 4 others like this.
  14. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

I seen this one on the "Bay"...I wanted it but didn't have the time to really go after it. I got distracted with work and home life.
    It's nice to see it all cleaned up and pretty.

15. DaltonGang

I should have finished it a long time ago, but I got busy with things at home.

Spyder likes this.
  16. DaltonGang

Joseph Elliots Best Silver Steel.
    This one had black scales that had degraded, and the top layer was brown and chalky. I had to sand the scales for a long while, then polish them out.
    The blade just needed some sanding, and a lot of buffing.

Before:

P2151534.JPG

P2151535.JPG

After: Very time consuming.
    BTW, the dark spots on the finished blade are just shadows. It was hard to get a good picture, because it was almost too shiny.

P2151536.JPG

P2151537.JPG

brit, Dansco, Enrico and 4 others like this.
  17. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Great idea for a thread!

Spyder and DaltonGang like this.
  18. DaltonGang

George Wostenholm & Sons. "EBRO"

This one had to have the Bone Scales whitened(somewhat), because of the staining. It also required some scale polishing and sanding. The blade was fairly rough looking and required sanding and polishing. I finally got around to honing it today. It took on a Killer Edge, just like most Wosties.

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

P2151540.JPG

brit, Dansco, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  19. DaltonGang

Norvell-Shapleigh HDWE Co. "SNAP" #35. St Louis Germany.

Before:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After:

P2210004.JPG

brit, Dansco, Paul76 and 4 others like this.
  20. DaltonGang

Wade & Butcher, "Bow Razor.

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

P4050103.JPG

brit, Dansco, Paul76 and 5 others like this.