Benchmark soaps

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by rodd, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Ramaniac

Ramaniac Member

I just had my first Williams Mug shave. It was Fantastic! My wife spent $1.50 for a puck and I got a better shave than my first shave with the $18.00 C&E Nomad (and that with a 20% discount). In fact, I have had to use it 3 times before the smell was bearable to her. Liked it in the dish, not on me.

If Williams was the only soap in the world, DE shaving would not die. Not by a long shot my friends. I am sitting here faceturbating for all of you and must say it has left my face soft, and a little tight.

I put it in a coffee cup, ran hot water on it, realized I had too much, poured it out and put a small amount on the top. Took a shower, and with my only brush, a $5 VDH boar, hit that soap and was very pleased with the lather, not thin or runny. On my last pass I decided to leave it on while I rinsed my mug, brush, and sink. The lather did not die. I join Dave when I say:

Please try Williams, please.

2. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I have had a stack of Williams in a closet for months, gave several away, but I have yet to try it. I will give it a go tomorrow.

3. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

4. rbaloha

rbaloha Member

Em's soaps. Lathers easily with great skin care qualities.

5. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I did, details in my SoTD

6. Padron

Padron Active Member

No surprise....my benchmark soap is Institut Karite.....:cool: then Tabac ;)

7. My benchmark soap is Tabac.

8. expatCanuck

expatCanuck New Member

For lather alone, Van der Hagen Select. Costs $2.
    If a soap can't provide lather at least this good, it's a non-starter.

For lather and scent, Honeybee Spa soap. Eucalyptus in particular.
    A whopping $4/puck keeps my skin and sinuses happy.

For me, Williams is a terrific shower soap, but I wouldn't want to shave with it.
    (Yes, I've heard that if used correctly, it provides decent lather, but life's too short
    to waste on working the soap -- it should work for you.)

And Tabac's 'scent' gives me the willies. Smells like Grandma on a bender.

9. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

Tried some VDH Glycerin and wasn't impressed, so I think I might have discounted the Williams as a result of my distaste for Drugstore shaving products. For the cheap price, I may pick up a puck of Williams from CVS tomorrow.

10. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

:happy093

11. woodsrider

woodsrider New Member

Well, I have a few benchmarks, depending upon my mood:

Penhaligon's English Fern
    D.R. Harris: Almond or Lavender
    Trumper: Rose, Limes and Sandalwood

Institut Karite, MWF and Valobra stick are also solid performers. Hmm...looks like I have a lot of "benchmarks...";)

12. JimR

JimR Active Member

Also, Deluxe is much better than glycerin. In fact, Deluxe is GREAT.

13. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

You have good taste in all of your many benchmark soap selections.

14. alabamalawyer

alabamalawyer Member

D.R. Harris is my benchmark for soaps.

15. expatCanuck

expatCanuck New Member

What JimR said. +1

I wouldn't discount all the VdH stuff -- I recall reading that some folks have had issues with VdH Glycerin lathering. I know that I have issues with Conk's lathering, and my understanding is that VdH makes Conk. That said, I found VdH Select (not glycerin) to be a solid performer.

Gotta find a puck of VdH Deluxe to try.

16. SmoovD

SmoovD Member

Pre de Provence
    Tabac
    C&E SAO

17. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Pre above Tabac? Hmm....I have a puck coming soon. I enjoyed my sample quite a bit. This could be a fun shoot out! I also use the heck out of my puck of Institut Karite - I had a hard time choosing between the two for my #1 benchmark...

18. SmoovD

SmoovD Member

Truckman,

I have really taken a shine to the PdP. It has provided me with some spectacular shaves. Still loves me some Tabac but I have relegated it to #2. Which is still not too shabby.

19. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Cool. Can't wait for it to arrive.

20. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

I judge every soap against Yardley gentleman's lavender.

Looks like I should try some Tabac and Williams.