Bent end teeth repair?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BigCabDaddy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

Can the end teeth of bent comb razors be straightened successfully with a needle nose pliers or is the metal just too brittle?

AGHisBBS likes this.
  2. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Unless you heat it up, it'll break.

AGHisBBS and BigCabDaddy like this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

It's a roll of the dice, with most, open comb razors. I have straightened two #15 Aristocrat razors with badly bent teeth. I used nylon tipped pliers.

PLANofMAN, AGHisBBS and BigCabDaddy like this.
  4. poikkeus

poikkeus Member

I read some interesting things in another shaving forum.

Trying to bend the bent teeth of an open comb razor risks breakage, but your situation is somewhat improved if you use heat or a soldering iron. However, using high heat will probably cause some damage to your razor's finish, and might even cause some of the plating to come off. That's why some say that contacting a jeweler is a good idea; they can fix the bent teeth and repair the finish at the same time.

A straight-nose set of pliers is necessary, and the repair should be done under heat, and without jiggling the teeth into line.

5. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

Its possible but there is a very good chance that it will break. Outside teeth are a bit thicker and harder to bend than inside teeth, also the teeth on old types are thinner & easier to bend than on the new.

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  6. Skinny Rogers

Skinny Rogers Well-Known Member

It's always been a gamble.

In my experience bent outer teeth have no change to the shave so I have always just left alone.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
    Robyflexx and BigCabDaddy like this.
  7. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Ive straightened end teeth successfully without heat. If they were bent originally without breaking then surely they can be bent back. Its a gamble though.

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  8. I have a few I would like to bend back. However, I don't have the guts to risk it. I think a bend tooth would be better in appearance and value then broke missing teeth.

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  9. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

I have a couple with bent corner teeth. On a razor that is 85+ years old I think it adds character and a little more mystery to these vintage instruments. I do have a Old Type clone that had a bent tooth in the middle of the comb. I got it early in my adventure and thought I could straighten it. It how has the nickname "Snaggletooth" because of its missing tooth. Live and learn. I have nicknamed one of my Gillette NEW razors "Scruffy" because he has bent teeth and major plating loss. Scruffy is one of my best shaving razors.

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  10. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

One reason I thought you'd almost have to bend it back somehow is that it's use would be diminished by the corner of the tooth sticking out.

Robyflexx likes this.
  11. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

As long as they are bent down away from the blade there is no problem.

BigCabDaddy likes this.