Best AM radio

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Double Edge Dougy, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

What is the best AM portable radio???

Long story for a short question...i love the sf giants, but i live a few hours away. So its tough for me to pick up their station 680am. A few years ago i purchased the mlb app for 2.99 a month and have every year since. The past few years i havent had too much difficulty, but this season has been horrible. My phone drops the game every few minutes. So im considering buying a good portable radio. Reception is my main concern. Like with any purchase ive been doing some reasearch and im strongly considering the sangean u3...i like the durability and the ferrite antenna. I thought this group would be a great group to ask. With so many members who are connoisseurs in so many things other than shaving, like wine, coffee, pens, pipes. So any audiophiles out there? Any suggestions?

preidy, Radiotube and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

If you are some distance away, even the best AM radio won't give you the results you want without a good external antenna. I would suggest that you simply put up a length of wire as high as you can safely get it. Place the wire broad side to the location you wish to receive and connect to the AM radio. This will increase your ability to receive the signal better.

Double Edge Dougy likes this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

When I got my first car, a '67 LeMans, it only had an AM radio.
    I discovered what AM stands for - Ain't Much.
    Then I put in an AM-FM-Cassette and discovered what FM stand for - Finally! Music!!

Anyway, sorry. I have no suggestions.

4. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

On a budget, the Sony SRF-59 is an amazing portable. Here's an article on it. https://aa7ee.wordpress.com/2013/11/11/am-broadcast-band-dxing-with-a-3-50-radio/

Here are a few others. Some are out of production, so check eBay for availability:

1. Sony ICF-2010 --- Still the one. After years of production, the 2010 still sits atop the mountain of MW DX portables. Unmatched in features and performance important to MW DXers. In dozens of side-by-side tests with numerous portables, the 2010 always comes out smiling. Filter options and mods available are a plus.

2. C. Crane CCRadio --- Usually a close second to the 2010 in side-by-side tests of sensitivity (some users report equal or better sensitivity than the 2010). Selectivity quite good for domestic (i.e., 10 kHz spacing) DX; needs a filter mod for split-frequency DX. Doesn't have the sometimes helpful features of the 2010 (e.g., synchro; ECSS). There is apparently some variability in samples (common among portables) that result in differences of opinion regarding this radio. Still, of the three I've seen, all performed extremely well, especially after alignment. Reports of the CCRadio Plus suggest that it may be better than the original, but I haven't tried one yet.

3. Panasonic RF-2200 --- This discontinued, 1970's era analog radio remains a marvel of engineering. From its raw sensitivity on MW to its rotating "gyro" AM antenna to its two selectivity bandwidths, the RF-2200 is one of my favorites for MW DX. The only analog portable I've ever seen that gives 10 kHz read-out on MW (except for the Barlow-Wadley XCR-30 (which isn't very good on MW)). Audio is also very pleasing. Note that MW band coverage stops at 1600 kHz.

4. GE Superadio I or II --- The first two of the popular Superadio series and easily the best. Excellent construction quality with separate circuit boards for different stages, a high-quality variable capacitor (vice tuning diodes), etc. Superb sensitivity on MW and excellent selectivity for domestic DX. Coverage stops at 1600 kHz though and dial read-out is coarse. Best audio of any portable. Long discontinued.

5. Sony ICF-7600G --- This has to be the best under $200 all-around portable currently available. Sensitivity on MW is very good (but not as good as those ranked higher); selectivity is good for domestic DX; the synchro works well and is sideband selectable; SSB on SW and MW (for ECSS use) is excellent; and audio is pleasing. This is the radio I grab when going on short jaunts that offer an opportunity for some casual DXing.

6. Sangean 803A/Radio Shack DX-440 --- Sangean's best effort so far for MW DXing. Not outstanding in any category but a good all-around performer on MW. BFO not operative on MW (without modification). Discontinued.

7. Realistic TRF (12-655) --- Ah, the legendary TRF. Radio Shack's one and only (other than the Sangean-made DX-440) truly great MW DX portable. This AM-only portable sold in the 1970's for about $30 and had such DX-rich features as a tuned RF section and a ceramic filter in its two IF stage design. Easily modifiable with filter and other upgrades, this was one of the most enjoyable radios to own during the era. I still marvel at some of the DX loggings with this radio...how about Paraguay from Mississippi, or Hawaii from Florida? As good as it was/is, the higher ranked portables offer equal or better performance and features; the TRF's legend is based on a combination of price, performance, and modifiability. If you can find one, jump on it, for nostalgia's sake if nothing else. Note: Radio Shack's current and recent run of Superadio clones is a joke...avoid at all costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wristwatchb, 45auto, DaveH and 4 others like this.
  5. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

For AM, I think I remember, that your best antenna is to something like a water pipe?

6. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

What's AM radio? ;)

Omaney and Double Edge Dougy like this.
  7. Double Edge Dougy

Thanks helps sum up alot of disjointed internet info

Radiotube likes this.
  8. Double Edge Dougy

I was looking in to that too, some of the radios dont have a spot to connect an external antenna... its wierd i got horrible reception on almost every radio and car radio...but my girlfriendd newer car picks it up very well. Its confusing

Radiotube likes this.
  9. White731

White731 Well-Known Member

Radiotube and Double Edge Dougy like this.
  10. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

It's a place that only the shadow knows..:cool:
    [​IMG]

11. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Everything that this guy said..everything...

Double Edge Dougy and Radiotube like this.
  12. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I love The Shadow. (And Jack Benny, and I Love a Mystery/I Love Adventure)

13. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Without quoting that lengthy but excellent post again, I will say +2 to that..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

I quite enjoy old-time-radio myself. You may be surprised at how much content is available online for old radio programs. Podcasts make it easy to enjoy them on the go or at your desk there are websites that have thousands of old shows categorized by type, year, artists, etc.

15. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

The SF Giants are broadcasted on 50,000 watt radio station KNBR. The Sports Leader.

16. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

Back to the original question. KNBR is a clear channel, so it blasts 50,000 watts day and night. You can pick up clear channels almost anywhere in the USA at night with a decent radio.
    During the day, the radiation pattern can be seen here: http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=KNBR-AM

Do you live within the fringe area on that map, Double Edge Dougy?

17. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I would also say that the San Francicso Baseball Giants probably are broadcast on more than one station in N. California as well. I know here in TX, the Rangers can be found on several stations throughout the state.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  18. DaveH

DaveH Active Member

Hi that will work fine, along with a lot of similar setup, Google crystal set DX for information on receiving off a long wire.

Dave

Double Edge Dougy and White731 like this.
  19. Double Edge Dougy

Thats why i think with a quality radio i would be good to go....i can get em on my cheap radios but if you move you can lose it...so my nieghbors see my on the roof standing on one foot flying a kite with a copper wire attatched to the antenna of a hand held radio....ok its not that bad but nothing more frustrated than when jon miller starts getting excited and i lose the feed.

20. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I know they are hardly state of the art, but try googling "Slinky Antenna". They can be stretched up anywhere, made or bought for about nothing, and can make the difference between tuned, and not quite tuned.

It made the difference for me when I moved my "dad space" from upstairs to down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk