Best and Worst Gillette DE Razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Rusty blade, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Sound like a plan, I'm in.

brit and Morman Bridge like this.
  2. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

I only own one and its a Gillette New that my brother sent me up from London....I found it to be super mild and it was pulling my whiskers out by the roots...:cool:
    Horrible Nasty Wee Bugger gives me the worst shaves of my life....:angry019:

Billy....:rah:

3. blankd

blankd New Member

Best would be the fat boy. Still one of the smoothest shaves I've had from the Gillette line. Worst is the blue tip super speed. Aluminum handle? What's up with that?

4. MicBaldy

MicBaldy Member

My favorite is the ball end tech and my least favorite was the Fatboy. Not to say I didn't like it, it just didn't live up to my overblown expectations.

brit and gorgo2 like this.
  5. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

I love all most all of my vintage Gillettes. The most notable are my 1946/47 Aristocrats, and my ABC sets. I also adore the Adjustables, Single Rings, and all the Super Speed varients. You just can't beat a vintage Gillette. I don't dislike any of them.

brit likes this.
  6. root_console

root_console Member

Not an easy choice. I have lots of vintage Gillettes but have only tried shaving with a handful. I would say the Super Adjustable is high up on the list. Perhaps I need to add some more in the rotation and see if I find one I don't like.

7. DrTerror

DrTerror Well-Known Member

I find the aluminium handled,and pot metal head, Tech's to be the worst,the S4 particularly so,but saying that,I have never got a decent shave from any Tech!.
    The best?,'ABC' Pocket Edition,by far my favourite go to razor,it effortlessly,and quickly, wipes away days of growth!,smooth,and efficient is the description for that one!.
    My other favourite Gillette's (to shave with) would be the 1934 #88 2 piece 'NEW',1934 USA 3 piece 'NEW',early smooth ball Canadian Pocket Edition,66 Slim set to 9.
    My other 'not got a really good shave from's',would be 1960 Fatboy,1970 Super Speed,#66 Aristocrat,basically,all the mild TTO's. now don't get me wrong,I love all my Gillette's!,but some suit my shaving needs better than others!.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
    brit and Billyfergie like this.
  8. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

I haven't used a Gillette that was bad yet. All are different but good shavers.

gorgo2 likes this.
  9. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I think the Gillette TTO razors have a bulky head. As always, YMMV.

10. 90quattrcoupe

90quattrcoupe Well-Known Member

One reason I do my second ATG pass with a Tech. Hard for my Red Tip to get the hair around the nostrils below the nose. I had been using an SS for the ATB, but it was not getting the job done around the nose.

Greg

11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Best: Impossible for me to say. '41 Ranger Tech, probably, maybe something along the Aristocrat/Diplomat line. Red Tip ranks high, too.

Worst: The rattly, plasticky Slim Twist/Knack, but that's really only in comparison to their older, better quality razors. Even Gillette's worst were superior to some modern DEs.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  12. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Actually I think that the Slim Twist is quite a good shaver. May not have the looks, but it does perform for me.

gorgo2 likes this.
  13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Absolutely, the head is where the action it. It's the money saving presentation of those units. But good is still good.

14. chrisbd

chrisbd Well-Known Member

I'm just starting my collection but haven't had a bad shave yet with a Gillette DE. Looking forward to another addition soon (hopefully).

Gillette DE Fan Club's an absolute must, with you 100%!

Regards,
    Chris

15. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

The worst Gillette's for me are the super light aluminium ones. Eg. a cheap Tech. They are just too light for comfort.

Best? Slim, Fatboy and fat handle Tech.

I haven't tried a whole lot of others, but those are the ones that stand out for me.

16. flaxton

flaxton Active Member

I am getting a Gillette flare 634093 vintage razor soon. At present I have a Hagen David butterfly razor. Any advice on using the Gillette would be very welcome.

17. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

I'm assuming your razor is the English version? It has that patent inscription? No matter, it will shave wonderfully. You will love it. Just shave as you normally do. For clean-up use a little dawn dishwashing liquid and hot water. Soak it for an hour or so. That should loosen any crud on it. Then scrub it with a toothbrush, and some clean hot water and dawn. After that rinse off all residue and if you really want to get fancy, Polish it up with some Simichrome metal polish. It will shine like new. Then you can shave with it.

brit likes this.
  18. flaxton

flaxton Active Member

Thanks Norman. I believe it is a UK razor. Hope the postman will deliver it tomorrow. Can't wait.

19. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

I think the black beauty is the nicest razor I've yet seen specially the gold and black and it's shaves like no other[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

CarlfromMO, brit, Tdmsu and 3 others like this.
  20. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I just can't like mine. idky, I think the long handle throws me off.
    fatboy and slim feel much better to me.
    even when I use the largest( futur) I grip it way up the handle.
    I recently got a Matador with a longer handle, felt as if it was long also.