Best barbershop scent??

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by RSHWETSHAVE, May 13, 2017.

1. RSHWETSHAVE

RSHWETSHAVE Member

I thought I would hate barbershop scents at first. I aimed more for the coconut, grapefruit, lime, bayrum, etc.

I was visiting my grandparents recently and decided to try my grandfather's clubman aftershave. Best decision ever.

I now have PAA clubguy and a sample of good vibrations and love them both.

The main question is this.

Are there any barbershop scented soaps I need to try? I hear Mike's makes a great one. I have his Vetiver and love it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

2. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

There are different kinds of barbershop scents out there, some are more powdery than others. Mike's is a good one, a bit similar to Soap Commander Honor, not exact but a similar type of scent.

Maggard London Barbershop is a stronger scent IMO than both of the others, but I had some skin issues with it, but a beautiful scent nonetheless.

Stirling Barbershop is not like any others I know of, it is more like a vanilla slightly sweet scent, very nice and pretty original. Another barbershop scent that is a slightly like Stirling is Honeybee Soaps Ye Old Barbershop which is a sweet almost vanilla, rum scent.

It just depends on what you are looking for in a barbershop scent. Many great choices out there, these are just a few I could think of off the top of my head. All are awesome scents IMO. But what one person likes another may not. It may be a good idea to get some samples if possible so you can try a nice variety and see what ones you like best.

crackstar, Kizurra, Demidog and 2 others like this.
  3. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Fine's American Blend is a good and reasonably priced barbershop aftershave.

CAS_AB-2T.jpg

Marine68, RaZorBurn123, MR41 and 6 others like this.
  4. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I have to ask ... can someone explain what a barber shop scent is? It has years since I have been in a barber shop, since my wife cuts my hair.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

crackstar, Kizurra, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Stirlings is excellent. In fact, I find it goes great with Clubman Aftershave.

crackstar, Kizurra and SHAVEWIZARD420 like this.
  6. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I completely forgot about Fine AB. Both the soap and the aftershave are top notch products that are fairly priced for how long they will last.

crackstar, Kizurra and Boojum1 like this.
  7. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

You could try Catie's Bubbles "Tonsorial Parlour" soap. Canoe A/S by Dana is a more subtle Clubman IMO.

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Clubman talc and clipper oil.

Honestly I've smelled several "barbershop" scents and they are all different.

crackstar, Kizurra and RyX like this.
  9. lightcs1776

Thanks. I guess I have to smell a few to understand it.

Kizurra and RyX like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

Both Pinaud Clubman and Canoe are in the Barbershop category. They are even close in scent to my unsophisticated nose. The website basenotes.net list this as the breakdown.
    Canoe.gif

11. lightcs1776

The store near me has Clubman. I might have to stop by and sniff a bottle or two.

12. RyX

RyX DoH!

If you get the cap off, do the next step. Apply some and wear it for a little while. That chart above shows how Canoe dried down and changes over time. Pinaud Clubman may not follow exactly the same, but a similar path. There's the smell from the bottle, then on your skin, then as the brighter fragrances fade, down to the lasting scent. For the $5-$8 it's a long lasting scent. If you buy it and don't like it later, stop at any old folks home. It's such a classic scent that Vintage Gentlemen would enjoy the PIF.

13. lightcs1776

Thanks for the advice, RyX. I really like outdoor scents, so it will be a great test to see how I like it.

Kizurra and RyX like this.
  14. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I have Stirling Barbershop, Razorock American Barber and B&M Seville. All very nice scents...but all very different!

Kizurra and lightcs1776 like this.
  15. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

If you've ever smelled talcum power, then you already understand it. To my nose, Clubman has a strong talc base with a bit of citrus and a little spiciness. It's a real old-timey and manly fragrance.

The term "barbershop" has just been extremely confusing for me. I've seen people call Proraso green barbershop and it doesn't smell even the slightest bit like Clubman. None of the barbershops that I've visited have had a distinct smell either so I don't get it but I enjoy the Clubman fragrance all the same. The entire category should just be called "the talc fragrance" in my opinion but I don't make the rules.

Paul Turner, RyX, crackstar and 2 others like this.
  16. lightcs1776

I used to use talcum in my combat boots. I can't see the attraction to that, but I guess I will have to try it out just to see what the fuss is all about.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    crackstar, Kizurra and Demidog like this.
  17. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I don't think you're alone because judging by the comments in a few other threads, some guys can't stand the smell of Clubman. I wasn't blown away or anything by the fragrance when I first opened a bottle and it has kind of a rank smell the first few seconds that you splash it on but it quickly becomes pleasant. It has that quintessential older gentleman's vibe to it. The citrus and spiciness give a nice twist to the talc base. The citrus kind of smells like that hard candy that old ladies used to give to kids when I was a lot younger but it still works somehow.

crackstar and Kizurra like this.
  18. dkeester

dkeester Well-Known Member

There is also PAA CaD and RazoRock American Barber. Those are both similar to Fine AB which is similar to YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme.

WSP Barbershop is a great scent that is different from, but has some similar components to, Clubman.

My favorite Barbershop scent is Figaro Monsieur Gold Aftershave (https://www.italianbarber.com/products/figaro-monsieur-gold-aftershave-splash). It is only available in the 400ml, barbershop sized bottle. (Free hint: get a Floid atomizer from IB with it.)

RazoRock Baby Blue aftershave is also a good barbershop scent. I also lump AV Ice Blue into the barbershop category.

RyX, crackstar and Kizurra like this.
  19. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

This VG got a Clubman Special Reserve A.S. on a PIF. It's a great scent, all right.

RyX, crackstar and lightcs1776 like this.
  20. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I have the Fine American Blend. Love the soap, but my nose doesn't classify it as a Barbershop scent. Mike's, on the other hand, is my hands down favorite in this category, followed closely by Stirling Clubman soap. Scents are VERY subjective, so you are clearly going to get quite a few varying responses. Get some samples and see what works best for you.

Paul Turner, RyX and crackstar like this.